Dlyon's whole 30

dlyon

Day 1 was yesterday and went okay. Have a cold just now and really had no appetite yesterday.

Kept myself busy around house for most of the day and crashed around 5 pm, which ended up as a 2hr nap. I'm putting this down to the cold as I'm not sleeping great with the congestion just now.

Day 2 has kicked off and I'm doing my cooking for the week ahead. Poaching a chicken and baking some chicken thighs for some easy options during get the week. Got mayo to do later to get the bulk of my meal prep done for the coming week.

Glad I chose to start the day after my food shop rather than waiting till Monday.

Hope everyone has a great day!

I defeinately felt the Hangover on Day 2. I had a headache most of the day, which i'll put down to caffeine withdrawl. I don't drink tea or coffee so my pre Whole 30 sources would have been soda.

Headache aside, had a good day. Ate well and didnt feel articularly hungry and did a lot of cooking for the week ahead.

My plan is to keep the food realtively simple this week but going forward i'll need to get more creative with my vegetables.

M1 - Scrambled Eggs with Cucumber and Rocket salad

M2 - Turkey Breast with Hot sauce

M3 - Steak with Sweet Potato

Do you have a copy of the meal template? Every single meal should meet this template.

Breakfast and dinner look ok. Lunch looks like it was missing vegetables and a appropriate compliant fat. Be sure to get 1-3 cups of vegetables in at each meal. See the meal template for the fat portion sizes.

Do you have a copy of the meal template? Every single meal should meet this template.

Breakfast and dinner look ok. Lunch looks like it was missing vegetables and a appropriate compliant fat. Be sure to get 1-3 cups of vegetables in at each meal. See the meal template for the fat portion sizes.

Thanks for the feedback Chris. I didn't have much of an appetite yesterday and didn't want to force it, hence the protein only lunch.

Appetite back to normal today so have had more rounded meals.

M1 Poached chicken and baked eggs with cucumber and sweet potato with hot sauce

M2 poached chicken with rocket and lettuce salad with vinegar and olive oil dressing

M3 Prawns with chilli olive oil sauce and green beans

Day 3 went well, the headaches disappeared and I felt pretty good apart from sleep deprived.

We've just moved our 3 yr old daughter into a larger bed and she's been up a lot through the night while she adjusts.

Had some pain in my knees which has disappeared however did eel like i was going to toilet a lot yesterday.

Is this part of the adjustment? I'm not surprised, when i eat junk that's usually where I end up so it may continue while my body heals.

Went to bed earlier than usual and had a great sleep, only woken once by my daughter. I'm feeling pretty good today and raring to go.

In the last couple of days I've found it a great relief to know what I'm going to eat. In the past when I've been coasting, food choices can be stressful because there are so many options, most of which are junk.

Committing to the Whole 30 and creating the weekly meal plan has made my life so much simpler. I'm not obsessing about what I'm going to eat, an awesome feeling.

Congrats on starting!  I have a few days until I begin mine.  Just in the 'prep' stage at the moment.

Hope I can find a good hot sauce over here in Australia that meats 'whole30' standards.

Im nervous but excited. I hope my friends and family stay super supportive the whole journey!

Hope your cold goes away fast!

:)

Thank you LauraJS, I hope your Whole 30 goes well.

I've been using Cholua hot sauce, it was listed on an older version of the pantry stocking guide you can download. Based on the ingrediants on the label it looks okay.

Hope you find a suitable hot sauce and have a great Whole 30. There are loads of kind and supportive people in the forums to help you through also.

I'm currently surrounded by friends who are doing the Slimming World diet, which couldnt be more different. I'm just ploughing on while being surrounded by high fibre snack bars, pasta, dairy and pretty much everything i do not eat while on the whole 30.

Day 4 went well, felt a little hunger around 3-4 so will increase the protein portion tomorrow. felt when I was eating it was a little on the small side.

PWO - Egg and Chicken Cup X 2

M1 - Chicken thighs with Cucumber, Sweet Potato and hot sauce

M2 - Poached chicken with Spinach, Lettuce and olive oil dressing

M3 - Meatballs in Marinara sauce with Carrots and Parsnips

Going to have a look for recipes to try, got Well Fed 2 and Nom Nom Paleo for inspiration.

Day 5 was good, sleeping a lot better and generally feeling better.

PWO - Egg and Chicken Cup X 2

M1 - Boiled Eggs with Sweet Potato and hot sauce

M2 - Poached chicken with Spinach, Lettuce and olive oil dressing & banana

S - Banana & Apple

M3 - Prawns with chilli olive oil sauce and green beans

Increased the protein portion size at lunch and added some fruit and didnt feel the hunger at work.

Not experiencing any cravings at present which i'm shocked at. Unless you count hot sauce, i do love hot sauce.

Day 6 was good still feeling a little congested but getting better each day. Seem to be sleeping better too.

PWO - chicken and egg cups x 2

M1 - boiled eggs and sweet potato with hot sauce

M2 - chicken with spinach and lettuce with olive oil dressing

M3 - meatball marinara with carrots and parsnips

S banana x2

Got to get my meal planning head on for next weeks plan.

Thank you LauraJS, I hope your Whole 30 goes well.

I've been using Cholua hot sauce, it was listed on an older version of the pantry stocking guide you can download. Based on the ingrediants on the label it looks okay.

Hope you find a suitable hot sauce and have a great Whole 30. There are loads of kind and supportive people in the forums to help you through also.

I'm currently surrounded by friends who are doing the Slimming World diet, which couldnt be more different. I'm just ploughing on while being surrounded by high fibre snack bars, pasta, dairy and pretty much everything i do not eat while on the whole 30.

Its funny you mention Cholua!  I bought that a few days ago when I did my shop before you posted this!  SO I am glad I bought the right one by reading the back of the bottle :)  I love it!

Thats hard that all your friends are on such a different eating plan!  I am about to spend two days at the Sunshine Coast with family so It will be my first eating out experience which I am not looking foward to haha.  I hope the rest of my family are supportive but I know the older members will probably turn their nose up at what I'm doing.  But I will try my best to educate any one that tries to bag me out!

What's you're favourite meal so far?

Day 6 was good still feeling a little congested but getting better each day. Seem to be sleeping better too.

PWO - chicken and egg cups x 2

M1 - boiled eggs and sweet potato with hot sauce

M2 - chicken with spinach and lettuce with olive oil dressing

M3 - meatball marinara with carrots and parsnips

S banana x2

Got to get my meal planning head on for next weeks plan.

Meals look good.

Watch having fruit for snacks.  Have your 1-2 daily fruit servings only with or immediately after your meals.  Snacks should be a mini meal including a protein and fat. If you are hungry between meals, that can be a sign that your earlier meals need to be bigger. Play with your portion sizes to get your meals to satiate you for 4-5 hours.

I love Cholua too. It's great and meets the whole 30 needs.

I hope your weekend goes well and you keep "on plan" while having a great time. I've never been in Australia but the sunshine coast looks amazing.

I've kept my meals pretty simple so far so I my favourite meal so far would be Gambas Al Ajillo, prawns in a chilli oil. It was a completely new recipe for me so I was glad it worked out. Planning on having it tonight too.

Day 7

PWO - 2 Egg and chicken cups

M1 - Beef Burgers & Turkey with cucumber

M2 - Beef Burgers & Sweet Potato

M3 - Lamb Steak & Fried Eggs & Sweet Potato

Day 8

PWO - Turkey Breast and Hotsauce

M1 - Scrambled Eggs and Cucumber

M2 - Chicken Thighs And Green Beans

M3 Chicken Thighs and Carrots and Sweet Potato

Day 9

PWO - 2 Chicken and Egg Cups

M1 - Lamb Steaks and Green Beans

M2 - Turkey breast and hotsauce

M3 - Prawns in chilli oil with green beans

Been cooking recipes from Well fed 2 this weekend. So far I have Donner Kebab Sausages, tomato ketchup, mayo & Sweet potato soup.

Add to that poached chicken and egg cups ad I'm pretty well sorted for most of this week.

Going to make a couple of spinach recipes and salmon caked from Well fed 2 during the week.

Completely lost track of time during my cookout and forgot about lunch. Had a small meal for M2 as it was a couple of hours before M3.

Still feel like i'm in control of my eating, glad this isn't as bumpy a ride as I've had in past.

If I can get rid of this cold, i'll be feeling awesome.

Feeling unwell today. Didn't defrost the prawns properly and regretted it last night.

Day 10

M1 - Egg Mayo with Cucumber and Spinach

M2 - Sweet Potato Soup with Poached Chicken

M3 - Donner Kebab Sausages with Scrambled Eggs, Sweet potato and Tomato Ketchup.

Really like the variations available in Well Fed 2 for sausages/ Burgers/ meatballs and will give a few of them a try.

Besides the mild food poisoning, feeling good notably smaller around the waist.

Felt better on Day 11, gotten over food poisoning i think.

PWO - 2 Chicken and Eggs cups

M1 - Donner Kebab Sausages with Egg Cups and cucumber

M2 - Sweet Potato Soup with Poached Chicken

M3 Salmon Cakes with Awesome Sauce (Well Fed 2)

Felt a little dehydrated yesterday, was in a lot of meetings at work and wasnt hydrating properly. Salmon cakes didnt turn out quite right but were still great. Will try again at some point, but i have a lot more recipes to try to keep things fresh.

I am falling aslepp almost instantly now. I have done the past few nights. I would normally have tossed and turned for a while and then begin to get anxious about not falling aslepp only maing things worse. I'm so glad i'm noticing more benefits other than weight loss.

Whole 30 Day 1…. again.

I thought I was doing well, I was enjoying tasty meals, I had done a lot of preparation work, creating meal plans and cooking in batches ahead of time. It went great for 12 days then I gave up, I caved, I started eating crap again.

In retrospect it was an accumulation of little stresses that pushed me to give up. There wasn't any major issue, just lots of little ones that compounded and drove me to solve my problems with junk food. This crept up on me, I was aware that I was becoming increasingly short tempered and frustrated over the course of the week. Little things were annoying me and I let my emotions guide me to instant gratification.

I beat myself up about it over the weekend, procrastinating day after day that I would get back into it. Clearly moving forward I need to be more aware of my thoughts and my reactions to the situations life presents.

Today is the day; no longer will I start tomorrow.

Next time if you think you may give into cravings again, be sure to re-read the timeline.

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

every time i feel like cheating and eating more than i should i re-read the timeline and specifically look at the day I am on, and it always matches up and makes me realise, its just a phase that will pass.  

I hope this time you get through the 30 days!

Im at the end of day 13 and im finding today and yesterday super hard but I have made the promise to myself I wont cheat no matter how crappy I may feel today!

stay strong!  You CAN and WILL do this !!! :)

Thanks Laura, I've added it to my favourites.

I'll take one day at a time and try to be more aware of my thoughts. The urge to cheat crept up on me.

It's great that you're on day 13 now and doing well. You'll be beyond day 30 in no time.

I'm going to do it this time!

Day 1 went well. I had all my meals prepared so I didn't have many food choices to make. I ate what I planned to eat which was a great way to start.

M1 – Slow cooker Stew (loaded with parsnip, carrots and Sweet potato)

M2 – Slow cooker Chicken thighs (with parsnips, carrots and onions)

M3 – Poached Chicken with Sweet Potato Soup (Well Fed 2) and Porkitos (Nom Nom Paleo Book)

S – Egg Cups, Turkey Breast and Ham

I had a real craving for protein around 9pm last night. I felt my portions throughout the day had been good; I was satisfied without feeling stuffed but really had a strong desire to consume protein.

Is this a deficiency in protein or perhaps something else being misinterpreted by my body?

Feeling a little sluggish at the beginning of Day 2, tired and achy. From the timeline this is to be expected so I'll ride it out. Today I've got my meal prep sorted, the hard part is done I just need to eat the food I've already prepared.

Wishing everyone a great day.

Day 2 was a little more of a struggle; I was definitely feeling the hangover effects. I felt tired and sore and struggled at some points to focus. This appears to have developed into more of flu like state today. Adjustment is to be expected and it's the feeling at day 30 I'm focussing on just now.

I felt pretty good at lunchtime, people were commenting how nice my lunch smelled and how rich the soup looked. Thank you Mellissa for creating Well Fed 2.

M1 – Slow cooker Chicken Thighs with parsnips, carrots, onions and sweet potato

M2 – Poached Chicken with Sweet Potato Soup

M3 – Boiled eggs and Porkitos with Cucumber

No late night snacking which I was pleased about.

Looking for some different recipes to try next week, I'm looking to change things up and test out my new slow cooker.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Day 3 ushered in a flu like state, I felt tired, achy and congested. With a lot of running around yesterday I didn't drink as much water as normal so perhaps that had an impact too.

M1 – Boiled eggs, Prosciuto chips and cucumber

M2 – Poached Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup

M3 - Fried Eggs, Prosciuto and cucumber

From around 4 pm yesterday I really craved prosciutto, the salty protein was all I could think about. I didn't have M3 for 2.5 hrs after this feeling came over me and I was still craving the food after that time.

I'm wondering why in the past couple of days I've been craving protein and salt. I thought I was eating plenty of protein and admittedly I only use salt for seasoning in what I consider relatively small quantities, probably a fraction of a teaspoon in a meal.

Today is my food shopping day, the question is how much prosciutto will I buy? I'll construct my meal plan today and build a shopping list from that. I have been pretty heavy on the carrots an sweet potato this week and feel a change is required.

Looking at the broccoli and cauliflower soups in Food For Humans and Well Fed 2 as a starting point. I seem to really like soup just now, when I make it myself that is. My aim is to try new recipes each week to expand my collection of meals I've cooked before.

I realise now that cooking can be simple and rewarding but without some planning, I get stuck in rut and eat the same foods all the time, until I'm sick of eating them.

Hope everyone has a great day and weekend!

Day 4 was good. Still felt congested and flu like symptoms however was busy enough that it didn't really bother me.

M1 - scrambled eggs with cucumber and hot sauce

M2 - chicken and egg cups x 3

M3 - Donner sausages with cucumber and tomato ketchup ( well fed)

S - Turkey breast and hot sauce

Created my meal plan and shopping list from it. Looking forward to a bunch of new recipes next week.

Day 5 has been rough.

M1 - scrambled egg, porkitos and cucumber

M2 - chicken thighs, cucumber and banana

M3 - slow cooker beef and broccoli

Today was going well, I'd set up the slow cooker for dinner, made breakfast and lunch and run my errands. I was playing with my daughter when I became light headed and felt like I was going to throw up. It came out of nowhere and hit me like a sledgehammer.

Felt this way for about six hours now and thoroughly fed up with it because I'm unsure what's caused it. I've tried eating and drinking water and it's not helping. If this is part of my bodies adjustment, that's fine. I'll endure.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Archived