Dlyon's whole 30

dlyon

Day 6 started off well. My sudden day 5 headache and nausea had gone and I was primed for the Sunday cookout.

My daughter has the cold and didn't sleep well, so neither did I. I got up around 6 am and started prep work for the slow cooker. I chopped up the veggies and tossed in the chicken for some slow cooker chicken and gravy from Nom Nom Paleo Food For Humans.

I stuck this on early because I wanted to make some bone broth for some soup later in the day.

This Sunday cookout was different from others, normally I manage to streamline the process and get most of the cooking done in a few hours, today however I was playing the slow game. Slow cooked chicken, bone broth and then the soup.

M1 – Scrambled Eggs and Porkitos with Cucumber

M2 – Bun less Burger with Fried Egg and Caramelised Onions

M3 – Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli

I felt pretty tired today, a general lack of energy. Going by the timeline this is to be expected. I managed to do all I have planned and took my daughter to the park for a little while too.

She wants to help out whenever my wife and I are doing anything in the kitchen so I try not to freak out and have her help me as much as she can. She found making burgers to be fascinating, I realise it probably looks like how she play with playdo.

Darcy woke up when my alarm went off this morning, and reminded me to take my burgers to work today. Far too sweet.

Hope everyone has a fantastic day.

Day 7 went by very quickly. I ate to plan and completed the cooking I wanted to when I got home. I don't think I drank enough water yesterday so I'll need to work on that in day 8.

M1 – Bun less burger with Olive Oil Mayo, Caramelised onions and boiled egg.

M2 – Cauliflower Soup (Well Fed 2) with slow cooker chicken

M3 – Slow cooker Beef and Broccoli

I felt really tired yesterday; I just wanted to nap all day. I didn't but had a feeling that if I slowed down I'd fall asleep. I was busy most of the work day and had a fair bit of cooking to do when I got home.

Noticing a difference in my clothes, some shirts I wouldn't have been comfortable wearing now fit well and I feel the trousers loosening a little each day. Long may it continue.

Day 8 was good, I still feel like I could sleep forever but I'm glad that I'm sticking to the plan and not feeling any real urges to eat junk foods.

M1 – Bun less burger with Olive Oil Mayo, Porkitos and boiled egg.

M3 – Slow cooker Beef and Broccoli and porkitos

Enjoying the burger for breakfast, I'm feeling really satisfied with my breakfast and wanted something that wasn't just eggs. They're still there but more of a topping for my burger.

Will need to tweak the slow cooker broccoli, it's nice but a little too salty so I I try again I'll revise the quantities. It produced more portions than I expected, and I've had more portions than I expected when meal planning.

The main thing I noticed yesterday was how tired I felt. I went to bed an hour earlier than usual and still feeling sluggish this morning. I hope this passes soon, please.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Day 9 and was still feeling fatigued. The congestion I've been feeling seems to want to go, it's just taking it's time. Meals went to plan and I went to bed early again so feeling a bit better today.

M3 – Broccoli Soup (Nom Nom Paleo FFH) with chicken Thighs and gravy

S – Turkey Breast with Hot Sauce

I felt a little hungry about an hour or 2 after M3 and fancied some more protein. Could the hunger be from having soup for 2 meals. They are crammed with Vegetables but do they satisfy as much as eating the cooked whole veg? I'll have a more solid meal for M3 tonight and see what happens.

I'm into day 10 now, according to the timeline one of the days people are most lijkely to quit. It was around this time in my earlier attempt this year that I began to get pretty stressed out which led to my failure.

I am aware that I am becoming more stressed as the week progresses but this time rather than seek comfort in Junk food, I'm going to take some time to process the thoughts in my head and come up with alternate solutions.

Hope everyone has a great day

Day 10 was better but I'm still feeling tired and congested. It is improving with each day but I can't wait for it to be gone. Seemed to be in the toilet quite a bit yesterday. I assume this will continue while my body adapts, if I ate junk food that's where I'd end up so it makes sense that it'll still be an issue during my transition.

M2 – Broccoli Soup (Nom Nom Paleo FFH) with chicken Thighs

M3 – Donner Kebab Sausages (Well Fed 2) with porkitos, cucumber and slow cooker gravy.

Was pleased that I managed to navigate the supermarket while hungry and get a compliant dinner. I have failed at this in the past; I do not do well if I'm hungry in a supermarket.

It's food shopping day today so I have a meal plan to prepare, pick out some new recipes for the coming week to try.

Hope everyone has a great day and a wonderful weekend

Day 11 was good. My energy levels were up and I had a good food shopping day.

M1 - Donner Kebab Sausages with Cucumber

M2 - Egg Mayo with Salad

M3 - Ham Steak with Sweet Potato and gravy

Happy I found a compliant fish sauce at my local supermarket so will be able to give some more recipes from Well fed 2 and Food For Humans. Now the hunt for coconut aminos begins.

Wishing everyone a great weekend!

Day 12

M1 – Scrambled Eggs and Bacon with Cucumber

M2 – Bacon wrapped chicken thighs with cucumber

M3 – Thai Omelette with Cauliflower rice

Day 13

M1 – Thai Omlette with Cucumber

M2 – Boiled Eggs and Chicken thigh with tomato sauce

M3 – Chilli

I've been relatively low on energy the past few days. This may be that for the past week I've not had any starchy veg, sticking more to broccoli, cauliflower and cucumber mainly. I'm going to try adding a little more sweet potato in ad see how it goes.

I've been keeping myself busy the past few days so haven't really noticed any major cravings for junk.

I did however forget about lunch yesterday while doing the cookout. I get so wrapped up in cooking for the week ahead that forget to eat. I end up having something smaller in M2 as I dot want to be eating M3 too late in the evening.

Approaching the half way point and happy about that, I've made it further than I did last time.

I've found in Well Fed 2 a replacement for my favourite junk food. Donner kebabs. I tried the Donner kebab sausages in Melissa's cookbook and they taste better than the stuff that comes from the takeaways.

Perhaps my cravings are being sated with this. A kebab was an easy option, often when I was too lazy to cook. They have websites now where you can order takeaway online and this made it even easier. Pre Whole 30 I cancelled the account with them to remove the ease of use.

Looking forward to the coming week, to improved energy levels and eating more Well Fed 2 chilli.

Day 14 and I'm still feeling tired. I feel like I could sleep all the time. Yesterday afternoon my legs felt like lead when I tried to move a little quicker across a road. I understand that everyone's transition is different but I'd love to feel like I have more energy.

I have not trained since beginning the Whole 30 and want to kick off my training but don't feel like I have the energy.

M1 – Scotch Eggs (Well Fed), Sweet Potato with Roni's Cucumbers (Well Fed)

M2 – Merguez Sausages (Well Fed 2), Sweet Potato with Roni's Cucumbers (Well Fed)

M3 – Prawns in Chilli and garlic oil with Green Beans (Chris Kresser website)

S – Turkey Breast with Hot Sauce

Yesterdays meals were a little repetitive, I had made coleslaw but it tasted horrible. I'll perhaps try it again another time in a smaller quantity but will leave it for now. Fell back on the cucumber salad and sweet potatoes.

More concerned about my energy levels at the moment. I understand that not everyone follows the time line and I have noticed some positive benefits so far but I would like to feel like I have more energy. I'm sure it will come in time.

When I kicked off I knew this was going to be more than a 30 day journey, I need to undo 32 years of damage to my body and that wont be resolved in 30 days. This is a huge leap in the right direction, I'm focussing on the journey rather than the destination.

Day 15 went by without incident. I ate well and haven't really felt any cravings for junk food for a while. Until…

I woke up around 2 am this morning; sure I was dreaming about eating junk food. I don't remember what I ate; I only remember waking up feeling guilty.

Will those urges ever go away? I would be happy if I had an awareness of them and then chose not to act upon them.

M1 – Merguez Sausages with Sweet Potato, cucumber salad and tomato sauce

M2 – Scotch Eggs with Sweet Potato and cucumber salad

M3 – Thai Omelettes with Cauliflower rice (Nom Nom Paleo Food For Humans)

The Merguez sausages were not a hit for me, I think I baked them a little too long, but I also didn't appreciate the taste. There are plenty more sausages variations I can try.

I didn't have a snack last night which I was pleased with. M3 was packed with flavour and very satisfying. I also brushed my teeth shortly after finishing signalling the end of that nights eating. I read that tip on the forum somewhere.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Day 16 was good, no more dreams about junk food which was great.

I do seem to be pooping a lot more than I did before. Is this normal, just part of my body's adjustment? There are no issues other than the frequency.

M1 – Donner Kebab Sausages with Sweet Potato and Cucumber Salad

M2 – Well Fed 2 Chilli with Zoodles

M3 – Cajun Chicken Thighs with Madras Cauliflower rice.

I had to think on my feet at dinner time. I think I had too much cauliflower in the food processer and the rice was a little too small. While I was cooking it looked like there wasn't enough oil. Not wanting to add more I improvised, I quickly tossed in some chicken stock and some madras curry powder and let it bubble away until the cauliflower had absorbed the stock. Turned out really nice so will remember for future.

1. Don't put too much in the food processor bowl.
  2. Chicken stock and Curry powder makes awesome cauliflower rice.

I've noticed a big difference in my trousers this morning, the feel looser everywhere which is awesome. I'm past the half way mark, a long way still to go but I'm glad I've made it further than I did in my first attempt this year.

It's getting near the end of the week and I'm thinking about recipes for next week. Admittedly I did cross my mind to eat chill for every meal of every day. I think it's that awesome. People have been commenting on how nice my lunches look and smell at work. This is a little embarrassing for me as is till feel like I'm incompetent in the kitchen.

I am getting better at making tasty, but ugly food.

Day 17

Another day went well. No apparent food cravings. I enjoyed my meals today and was satisfied throughout. I could have had more water, felt a little thirsty at times.

M1 – Donner Kebab Sausages with Sweet potato ad Cucumber salad

M2 – Chilli with Zoodles

M3 – Thai Omelettes with Porikitos and Fried Onions

Still in toilet a little too frequently for my liking. I don't feel in any distress just that I need to go more often than I thought was normal.

Will keep going, and keep going. It's Friday which means meal plan and food shopping day. Going to have a look for some recipes to change things up. With the exception of the coleslaw failure this week, I was really happy with the meals I prepared. I'd be happy to have the same meals again.

Hope everyone has a great day and weekend.

Bit of a retrospective update. My daughters been unwell since Friday so I'm currently a zombie.

Day 18

M1 - Donner Sausages with Sweet Potato

M2 - Donner Sausages with Cucumber Salad

M3 - Ham Steak with Pineapple and fried eggs, with Sweet Potato and fried Onions

Day 19

M1 - Thai omelettes with Bacon and cucumber

M2 - Chicken Thighs with Cauliflower rice (cooked in chicken stock and Madras Curry Powder)

M3 - Well Fed 2 Chilli and Zoodles

S - Turkey Chunks and 2 Apples

Day 20

M1 - Thai omelettes with Bacon and Cucumber

M2 - Well Fed 2 Chili

M3 - Donner Sausages with Sweet Potato

had very little sleep in past 3 nights and focussing more on my daughter getting better so haven't noticed any whole 30 effects/symptoms. my fridge is well stocked with quick meal options so I'm aware it would be easy to cave but I wont. I've come too far already.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Day 21 and still in a zombie like state. Daughter has an ear infection which is at it's worst at night. She's not sleeping much. Getting a little better but still not allowing her dad to get any decent sleep.

M1 – Scotch Eggs

M2 – Chilli & Porkitos

M3 – Ham Steak with Fried Egg

Neglected Vegetables yesterday. Had cravings for protein all day, but stayed within the 3 meals.

Hope everyone has a great day and that I don't fall asleep at work.

Day 22

M1 – Scotch Eggs and Sweet Potato

M2 – Chilli and Zoodles

M3 – Thai Omelettes

Struggled due to sleep deprivation. Daughter started a course of antibiotics which allowed her to sleep the whole night. I managed to get about 6 hrs sleep, I hadn't managed past 4 since Thursday. I feel worse this morning after sleeping for longer, what's that all about.

Archived