Can one have a whole 30 wedding?

Tilly

Ok so I am thinking a whole 30 compliant wedding, now I may have trouble getting my fiance away from the banana mud cake idea, and im sure my diabetic in laws and extended family will discuss my food choices a little too loudly . But the idea excites me and good food makes me happy. My question is how could I navigate potential problems and what would we have?

I do think it is possible, but most people I know who follow a variant on this lifestyle will deviate from whole30 on a few items at their wedding, and I think that is perfectly fine (and appropriate!).

For example, if I were getting married I would probably include: paleo treats (some kind of cake or stand-in for cake) and alcohol, and I might include some off-plan options that would make my relatives happy even if I wasn't consuming them, ie. bread or something with the meal or regular cake or cupcakes as options, etc., depending on the menu. A wedding should be a celebration, and food is part of that. Sharing the wonderful food you love is a great impulse, just try to temper that so the day can be balanced in favor of pleasure and celebration vs. stress and "potential problems".

Oh, and if they are just talking about what YOU choose to eat on your wedding day?! Nobody got time for that. Ignore/laugh it off/tell them they are being rude--whatever you need to put that behind you and enjoy yourself.

As far as entree options, steak or fish or both (e.g., surf and turf) come to mind. Serve with sweet potatoes, some other vegetable, and a salad.

For passed around apps or finger food, bacon-wrapped scallops, compliant meatballs, prosciutto wrapped melon, cold shrimp, compliant stuffed mushrooms.

Paleo treats and fresh fruit for dessert.

As an additional comment to what Mary said a good caterer/venue will make sure the bride and groom's needs are met above all others. My husband told the venue that he didn't care if our guests ate cardboard as long as he could have a steak and they were very accommodating. I knew exactly which layer of our multi-flavor cake I wanted to have and made sure that was what was delivered to my spot after the cake was cut. (this was way before W30 for me). All that to say even if you can't make all the food W30 compliant you can make sure yours is.

Guest Wheat on Trial

I had my wedding at a brewery, but man this would have been a cool idea.

A lot of hard partyers amongst my friends and family - I think they would have missed their wine and beer.

We eat mostly primal most of the time but for our wedding?  We were at a vineyard in France. It was basically the opposite of Whole 30 and it was great.  Plenty of other days to worry about what you're consuming.  After so many days restricting what I ate prior to the wedding, you better believe I drank all the wine and ate all the sweet stuff!

I do think you should do whatever you want to do but you can always control what *you* eat yourself, and offer the options to others.  You'll get so many people with dietary issues totally contrary to your own anyway and your caterer will have to deal with! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived