Maintain Optimal Body Composition

ittybittychef

Hi, and I hope everyone's Whole30 is going well! I'm a pretty serious mountain biker and rock climber, and eating Whole30 in tandem with my typical training (climbing three times a week and riding three times a week, with one sprint workout weekly) results in really optimal body composition for me. It's helped me get stronger climbing than I've ever been, and I feel great on my bike. 

My question is this: once I've reached my ideal body composition, how do I stay there? It's not weight that I'm thinking about, it's my lean mass-to-fat ratio. Because once I get really lean and strong, it becomes more difficult for me to make it between meals, and I'm eating until I'm completely satisfied at every meal. I'm wondering if I should increase my carb intake at this point, or if I should increase my fat intake? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

--->Are you doing your pre and post workout meals as well? 

When I'm getting back in shape, I don't do pre-workout meals, and I time my workouts so that they end at a normal mealtime (i.e., eating dinner immediately following a workout). This way I'm able to refuel immediately post-workout, when my body's primed to mobilize the nutrients I'm consuming. I've found that I burn off excess body fat much more quickly if I exercise in a fasted state (i.e., exercising two or three hours after a meal). So I'm not doing any "extra" meals, just three meals a day, and I don't snack. It makes sense to me that including snacks or maybe a pre-workout meal would be a good way to maintain optimal body comp, but I'm not sure what the macros should be. 

Perhaps I should add that I'm female, five feet tall and about 100 very strong pounds when I'm in top shape. And when I'm in this kind of shape and eating Whole30 style, I eat significantly more than my 170 lb. boyfriend who is also an athlete.

My question is this: once I've reached my ideal body composition, how do I stay there? It's not weight that I'm thinking about, it's my lean mass-to-fat ratio. Because once I get really lean and strong, it becomes more difficult for me to make it between meals, and I'm eating until I'm completely satisfied at every meal. I'm wondering if I should increase my carb intake at this point, or if I should increase my fat intake? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

My question was in response to your question. Based on your answer my answer would be to include the pre/post workout nutrition as per the template. The answer to the question "I'm hungry what do I do?" on W30 is always some variation of "eat more". In your case if you can't make it between meals and you are full at meals and you are not doing pre/post workout food than add those. I'm nowhere near where you are athletically but I work hard and I can't make it on 3 meals a day when I workout. 

Thanks so much for the responses, Physibeth! I'll try adding in the pre- and post- workout mini meals this time around once I reach my ideal body comp. BossyGoat, I'll be sure to post an update here in terms of how this affects my performance in the gym and on the bike, as well as maintaining my body comp. Thanks again!

Archived