Another question re: digestive enzymes

Shantess

Hi everyone!

I have recently completed my Whole30 but kept going because the results have been so fantastic so far and I know I have more "healing" to do.

I've noticed that at other points in my life after about a month or two of any "low-carb" diet I've done (and I eat plenty of fruits and veggies...I mean low-carb in terms of no refined carbs!), my digestion eventually slows to a standstill (at one point a couple years ago I got spasms and constipation so bad I went to the ER...only to be told I was fine). I have always had sluggish digestion but I guess it gets worse from suddenly dropping grains and other gut irritants I was probably reliant on for moving things along.

Anyway, I noticed a few days ago this seemed to be happening so went out and bought the NOW Super Enzymes (I have dysbiosis too and I've also been taking a quality probiotic at the recommendation of my naturopath and eat my homemade fermented veggies a few times per week). I've started to notice a difference with the Enzymes. My question though - how long does someone need to take enzymes? I know this is kind of person-specific but my concern is that I might get reliant on them. Do some people have to take these for years or for the rest of their life? Or just until everything "heals"?

Thanks!

It's definitely case dependent, but ideally supplementing is just to get you over the hump, and eventually you and your own gut flora will live happily ever after. It's not always that easy though.

TBH, I tend to think that probiotic suppliers engineer strains of bacteria that either die before they reproduce, or that are unable to reproduce. If they were allowed to proliferate in your gut, then you wouldn't need to purchase any more...and what would be the profit motive in that? (What can I say? I'm a tinfoil hat wearer)

Anyway, I would use them as long as you have to, but definitely try to get some natural soruces of pro and prebiotics into your diet. raw sauerkraut, kimchi, etc.

Personal Note: I always supplement when I need to take antibiotics for any reason. After that works itself out, I'll come off of them.

Great, thanks Renee! Yes, I'm definitely getting in some natural probiotics, as well, through fermented veggies and I have some bone broth brewing right now :)

One last thing, is it possible to become dependent on enzyme supplements?

Archived