Autoimmune or regular Whole30

Hello, for a few months I have been reading and reading and then reading some more about whole30 and finally decided to give it a go.  I am on day 8 and I feel terrible - I have been the entire time - not one good day.  A little about me:  I am 40, have a rare immune deficiency that cause me to have infections on a regular basis (I am on average on antibiotics 1 time a month for 10 days).  I also get at times severe arthritis type pain where I barely can open and close my fingers without crying - this has been happening all week.  

I do stay as active as I can and often work through pain and sickness, since the more inactive I am the sicker I seem to get.  My workouts are kettle bell based and right now I am doing a 10000 swing challenge with 500 swings a day. For years I was a vegan and ate very low fat on top of that.  I got very thin (108 at 5'8) but after switching to animal protein and more fat I have gained a lot of weight (close to 30 pounds).  I would like to get rid of this inflamed feeling and I am not too happy with my pants feeling much tighter than just a week ago.

To my question: I am uncertain if I should switch over to the autoimmune protocol or stay with the regular whole30?  I also read somewhere that some individuals do not do too well with coconut oil which I am eating quite a bit of.  - I do take the Now super enzymes at every meal.

Thanks for reading this and any suggestions given

• Moderators

We generally recommend doing a regular Whole30 before shifting to the autoimmune protocol. The only reason to start with a restricted protocol is if you already know that you have food sensitivities. 

Some people do report having problems with coconut products. You might want to try eliminating them. I like ghee or clarified butter, but you could also use beef tallow, lard, duck fat, etc. 

I am amazed at your being able to keep going with 500 swings per day. I found 500 swings for one day easy, but could not do 2500 in a week, at least not with the weight I wanted. 

"We generally recommend doing a regular Whole30 before shifting to the autoimmune protocol. "

So, Tom, I have some inflammatory medical mystery. I have not gone one day without near debilitating pain. I am scared of a flare-up. To be clear, we should complete a W30 first and then try eliminating nightshades and such? By the way, the fact that I haven't been sent into a crippling and debilitating state even at the threat of a flare-up is promising. I know that diet can heal me. I know eating good foods is the way to alleviate my health issues. I would just like to see results...Yesterday! (How American of me).

I think I will try and remove the coconut based products since that is the biggest change that I have made switching to this way of eating.  I drink coconut milk (BPA free from the can), add coconut oil to everything and occasionally add coconut flakes.  As for the swings I decided to go with a 16 kg bell since I was uncertain how my body would respond with all of those swings and also with the added presses, squats and so forth between reps (plus I wanted to maintain proper form for all 500 swings).

I will else wise stick with the Whole30 and I do realize that it more than likely will be much longer for me to see any improvements - given my immune issues.

Do you eat a lot of eggs or tomatoes?  I have RA and it's been worse in both of my hands lately and I have found it's mainly after I've eaten eggs or something with a lot of tomatoes.  Once I stopped eating them, mainly eggs, my flare-ups subsided.  Although they are part of AIP restrictions and Tom recommends not doing AIP right now, it won't hurt to eliminate these things if you find that you have been eating a lot of them before your hands flare.  Also, do you think you can go without doing the kettleball swings for a week to see how your hands behave?  I know that when I do a lot with my hands, they can flare-up too.

Whole30 has been great because I have learned so much about how my body reacts to food and activities that I never would have paid attention to.  :)

Hmm - you make a really good point about the eggs and tomatoes.  I have always eaten tomatoes every day and a fairly good amount - it is one of my favorites, as for eggs I just started to add those every day and in the amount of 2-3 a day whereas before Whole30 it was maybe 1-2 a month plus at times some egg whites.  I was forced to let go of my swings the entire first week of Whole30 since I simply could not close my hands around the kettle bell.  

How do you do with coconut products?  I always feel when I eat coconut oil that I get more inflamed and feel like I gain 10 pounds overnight (that inside puffy feeling) and that is the one item that I really did not eat much of before Whole30.  I have stopped using coconut oil as of today (still use coconut milk) and actually made my own ghee - yeah me.

Thanks for the replies

So, Tom, I have some inflammatory medical mystery. I have not gone one day without near debilitating pain. I am scared of a flare-up. To be clear, we should complete a W30 first and then try eliminating nightshades and such? By the way, the fact that I haven't been sent into a crippling and debilitating state even at the threat of a flare-up is promising. I know that diet can heal me. I know eating good foods is the way to alleviate my health issues. I would just like to see results...Yesterday! (How American of me).

Notice Tom says generally. For most people W30 is hard enough. AIP is very restrictive. If you are keeping a food log (which you are) you might start to see a pattern and I would encourage you to experiment based on that pattern. For example I noticed that I was getting heart burn most of the times I ate tomatoes so I tried to piece together from my log what all the contributing factors were for me and even took tomatoes out of my food for a couple of weeks to make sure.

I did the AIP first, I was already eating very clean and I have AI disorders. Before doing the AIP, I was having 2 eggs in the AM (when you cut out grains, there isn't much else to have for breakfast....). After 5 days with no eggs, the searing pain I was having in my elbow was gone. It was pretty amazing. I've also always avoided tomatoes because I had a reaction when I was little. But I was eating peppers, eggplant and potatoes. But now I've eliminated them. I feel my inflammation has gone way down.

How do you do with coconut products?  I always feel when I eat coconut oil that I get more inflamed and feel like I gain 10 pounds overnight (that inside puffy feeling) and that is the one item that I really did not eat much of before Whole30.  I have stopped using coconut oil as of today (still use coconut milk) and actually made my own ghee - yeah me.

I don't use a lot of coconut because I don't like the flavor as much as ghee and lard.  :D   I have used it when making Bora Bora Fireballs from Well Fed and I haven't noticed too much of a difference.  I have also sauteed onions in coconut oil for Chocolate Chili, which also has tomatoes in it, and I don't notice any negative effects but it also has some tomato in it.

The great thing about eating clean is that you can experiment with eliminating certain foods for a few days to see if you notice a difference. Much easier to detect!   ;)

Archived