Half Marathon & Whole 30

EAH

I need some advice: I am one week away from the Miami half-marathon. I've been an avid runner for 25 years and this will be my 4th consecutive Miami race but never under the influence of a Whole30. Carbs like pasta, bagels and bread are what professionals recommend and what I've eaten in the past but this is obviously out. I eat sweet potatoes but I want to make sure I have sufficient race fuel and a strong finish. Furthermore, I've fueled with a couple ounces of sports drinks at mile 7 and I am actually nervous to run without an electrolyte replacement drink. I don't like coconut water.

Any ideas what changes I should make in the next six days? And I am concerned I need a drink stronger than water to rehydrate at the mid-race point. I will be on Day 33 of a Whole45.

• Moderators

Click on the Whole30 for Athletes section of the forum. There are more than 100 posts. There are at least 10, maybe 20 that are labeled as hot topics that talk about what to eat and drink during races and in training. 

• 3 weeks later...

How serious are you about racing? Like, really RACING? Are you going balls to the wall, all in, for a PR that you have trained for a long time?Or is this a fun event and a nice challenge?

I run and race too, and I have to say that training on whole30 is great. But for my marathons I find that I need some high octane rocket fuel (gels and sport drink) to really hit my TOP performance.

If you are not going for a huge PR, I recommend a few dated in a zip lock bag, a salt packet (from a fast food place) and water. Works like a charm!

I just ran the Barcelona 1/2 marathon. Due to some circumstances of my life, I could not train hard before the race (if to say, train at all). Nonetheless, I kind of nailed it! My pace was ok, but regarding the fact that I had not trained, I was amazed. Moreover, I did not get tired almost at all!!! This is what I owe to Whole 30 (day 23). 

Beforehand, I've just had a common Whole-30 breakfast that I tend to have if on the go: two scrambled eggs and a banana - also, I've eaten an apple for some extra carbs (a perfect excuse, right?). After the race, there were loads of grilled fish and seafood at my preferred place. 

Archived