SO Sore...

JGiggly

I have a question...

I am halfway through W30 and have been struggling with pain really really bad. I've seen progress in other areas, but not with the pain and inflammation. Right now my scrawny ankle looks like a softball... maybe a baseball. Either way it is huge and it hurts. When should I see a difference? Should I continue with my W30 longer (making it not W30)? Should I eliminate nightshades? Coconut? AHHHHHHHHH! I'm not giving up. I know eventually things will change. I just feel discouraged because I've been walking funny since I started W30 and I have to take naproxen more than I want to. I want to be med free. On the plus side I am not debilitated which is what happens every other time I feel this way.

First of all, OUCH!!!  My sincere sympathies!  I had sausages for feet/ankles for months after my twins were born, I still remember how that felt.  :o

So this pain and inflammation has happened before, when you're not on Whole30?  Are you aware of non-Whole30 triggers (diet or otherwise)?  Also, I'm sure our moderators will ask for a two-to-three-day food log to check if what you're eating/not eating may generate some suggestions.

One thing to remember, too, is that medication trumps Whole30.  If you've been on medication for this and stopped it for the Whole30, go ahead and start it again. 

I hope you get some answers and some relief very very soon.  My ankles hurt just from reading your post.  Cyber-hugs.

"So this pain and inflammation has happened before, when you're not on Whole30?  Are you aware of non-Whole30 triggers (diet or otherwise)?  Also, I'm sure our moderators will ask for a two-to-three-day food log to check if what you're eating/not eating may generate some suggestions."

Yes. I had this problem prior to whole 30, but it would go away and at times seem 80% non-existent. I have no idea what is causing it and neither do the doctors. I have been keeping track of what I eat since I started.

• Moderators

Your food log reveals that you are doing a good job of eating Whole30-style. My thoughts about what you should do is to keep doing what you have been doing eating-wise with the idea that inflammation will get better over time. Joint issues often take time to resolve and we often hear reports of other issues clearing up before joint pain. And honestly, following the autoimmune protocol where you cut out nightshades is harder. If you can get by without it, you should. But then, I am not feeling your pain. You might want to try anything possible. Following the AI protocol will not make things worse, but it does demand more work because there are more things you cannot eat. And there is no guarantee shifting to the AI protocol will make your pain go away quickly. Improvement may still come slowly. 

And let me add to what Amy said, if you have meds that help, go ahead and take them. 

Archived