Reset :-(

Ann

I'm on Day 19, as I was packing my lunch this morning, I realized the the Applegate turkey lunchmeat I bought last night, while sugar-free, has carrageenan. Arrgh! I had this Applegate turkey with lunch my Days 1-4. :blink: I had been trying to ignore the fact that I had eaten some high quality uncured bacon with a very small amount of sugar my first three days with breakfast, but now that I have to add carrageenan to the mix, I think I need to adjust my 30 back by four days. That would put me at day 15. :(

I also accidentally ate one pea last weekend (taste-testing some vegan soup I made for my daughter), but I'm not going to reset to that date because of just one accidental pea -- it seems like peas are sort of a grey area since snow peas and snap peas are permitted. Man, I feel like I'm in confession! haha! Anyone want to give me absolution?

The four-day setback puts me at day 30 on my friend's wedding, and I had scheduled this Whole30 deliberately so I could share in her celebration and enjoy a glass or two of wine. I guess it will be a Whole29-1/2 instead of a Whole30. ONWARD SOLDIER!

Thanks, Laura. I'm glad my mishap was only during the first four days, and not mid-way through. I reset my calendar yesterday from Day 19 to Day 15. When I enjoy some wine on the evening of Day 29 (let's call it Day 29.5), I will consider it a successful W30. Because really, it will have been a W34, with the four leading-up days being only very slightly awry. Boy, I'm good at rationalizing. :rolleyes:

Vickizee, when it was only the bacon those first three days, I was totally convincing myself that I didn't need to worry. But the honey in my bacon plus the carrageenan in the lunch meat is what pushed me over into "I better recalculate my start date." My 18-yr-old son is more than happy to eat the organic carrageenan-laden turkey, at least it won't go to waste.

I just Googled why do they add carrageenan to lunchmeat - here's what I found:

In food and other products, carrageenan works as a thickener, stabilizer, and emulsifier, meaning that it helps keep mixed ingredients from separating. It gives foods a smooth texture and accentuates flavor. It is often used in dairy-based foods, like ice cream, yogurt, and cottage cheese, because it reacts well with milk proteins. Carrageenan is also found in jelly, pie filling, chocolate, salad dressing, and even as a fat substitute in processed meat. Because it comes from algae, it can be used as a substitute for gelatin for vegetarian and vegan products.

http://www.wisegeek....carrageenan.htm

Fat substitute in processed meat? Eew.

Archived