Ok that post workout meal is breakfast?

dezzzydoo

Today is Day 25 for me and for this past month (almost) I've pretty much just basically focused on my nutrition and eating healthy and I gotta tell ya, I feel amazing and plan to continue this for another 30 days and incorporate fitness into it.

So this morning I woke up at the crack of dawn to start adding my workouts into the program. Pre WO I had a handful of almonds and Post Workout was also breakfast for me.

I ate: 4 pieces of bacon (whole30 approved), 2 eggs, spinach, tomato and 1/2 of an avocado.

My question is how were these choices of meals? I wanted to continue this Whole 30 for another month, bc I want to continue this while exercising, but if I'm not fueling properly then I totally want to fix that! Should I make any modifications? Is the fact that my post workout meal is also my breakfast a problem? I should mention that I'm trying to lose weight and gain muscle, which is why I didn't throw a sweet potato or any other carb dense veggies on my plate. Good move? Or am I depriving my body? Sorry for the 20 questions, everyone!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Thanks in advance!!

• Moderators

To maximize muscle recovery, you should avoid fat in your post-workout meal. That makes eggs, bacon, and avocado a poor choice. The problem is that fat slows digestion, while the purpose of a post-workout meal is to feed hungry muscles quickly. Slow digestion means they can't eat as fast as they otherwise would and recovery takes place more slowly. The meal template gives you a quick overview of this: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Let me add, I sometimes ignore eating a lean post-workout meal and have my regular lunch instead. But I am not pushing the envelope with fitness. 

You can lose weight while eating sweet potatoes. I lost weight every month when I started and I ate one and sometimes two sweet potatoes per day. If you are doing intense exercise, starchy carbs are important. Real success requires you to quit worrying about whether you lose weight today while you concentrate on maximizing your health. What really matters is the trend of your weight, not the day by day. That may sound wrong, but experience shows that micromanaging weight loss back fires. 

what great feed back you got.

Ive been away from whole 30 for 8 months and forgot what great information can be available here.

I stoked to se what this lifestyle can and does encourage in people to launch into a new wholeiastic way of living.

And Tom's not all that grumpy lol

Thanks Tom! I really appreciate all of your help! :D I looked at the link you posted & I'm having trouble understanding what easily digestible protein is. Is that basically, for example, chicken breast or other kind of lean meats? Would egg whites fall into this category?

• Moderators

Yes, chicken breast and egg whites are lean/low-fat protein. I often eat tuna packed in water as a "lean" protein. Tuna is not especially lean, but the stuff packed in water is fairly lean and is super convenient to take to the gym. Another meat that people like is tri-tip beef or another lean roast like round roast, shoulder roast, etc. 

I am in the same boat with a post workout meal being either meal 1 or meal 3 for the day. So knowing that fat should be limited, is there a good way to combine a post workout meal with a regular meal to ensure that I am held over for 4 to 5 hours?

As I am concerned when working out at 6am that a 7/7:30am post workout meal would not do enough to hold me over till 11:30/12 when I typically hungry for lunch.

Or would it be ok to have a compliant meal template meal 1 at around 9am/10am if post workout meal was a separate meal?

I suspect I may be over thinking this LOL... But, it was something that I was curious about as well. Since I do struggle with this. The whole post workout meal after a 6pm workout (which means eating post workout around 7/730p) also is a concern, but given I am usually asleep by 10pm I do not see how I could not combine the post workout meal with meal 3 in the evening. 

I am in the same boat with a post workout meal being either meal 1 or meal 3 for the day. So knowing that fat should be limited, is there a good way to combine a post workout meal with a regular meal to ensure that I am held over for 4 to 5 hours?

As I am concerned when working out at 6am that a 7/7:30am post workout meal would not do enough to hold me over till 11:30/12 when I typically hungry for lunch.

Or would it be ok to have a compliant meal template meal 1 at around 9am/10am if post workout meal was a separate meal?

I suspect I may be over thinking this LOL... But, it was something that I was curious about as well. Since I do struggle with this. The whole post workout meal after a 6pm workout (which means eating post workout around 7/730p) also is a concern, but given I am usually asleep by 10pm I do not see how I could not combine the post workout meal with meal 3 in the evening. 

I can't help with your evening workout question, but using the advice I received from the moderators I was able to deal with my morning workout eating issues pretty well.

I eat Meal 1 before I workout - full meal from the template usually 3 eggs, clarified butter and a sweet potato - around 5:00 am. Workout 6:00am for 60 mins or so of Spinning or whatever my trainer has planned then I eat my Post Workout meal right after - within 15/20 minutes (I am eating 100% protein (usually homemade lean turkey sausage) because I am working on losing a significant amount of weight, but there is a great chart in It Starts with Food for determining the Protein/Carb make up of this meal depending on the intensity of your workout and your body composition). So, you should eat what makes sense for you. I think the guidelines are no fat and no fruit.

With this plan I am not hungry until 1:00 PM(!) and before my Whole30 started I was an every 2-3 hour eater. I am currently on Day 15.

Archived