Anza's Post Whole 30 log.

anzadel

Fairly sucessful W30. Few slip ups with dried fruit, and one with a spoonful of honey. Sigh.  I want to start tracking my calories/nutrients, experiment with grain free baking and a few meal or two out without being 'that person' so....

Day 1--Sunday Jan 26

Brunch--

eggs

sweet potato

sasuage

coconut oil

cooked big meal for me and hubby. 6 (medium, organic) eggs, 2 aidells chicken and apple sausage and one large sweet potato make into hash browns. Everything cooked in coconut oil.  I don't know how much exactly I ate as I put it on a platter. I probably had more of the hash browns and less of the sausage. 

Snack--while preparing dinner

artichoke hearts

fried chicken skin

cooked nomnom paleos chicken with onions and artichoke hearts. Used fresh herbs and shallots.  the husband has been saying that dinner is too heavy...I think he means meat? Of course that was in the car...then after getting in a fight about that he hits up taco bell. He means well, and I love him so....I ate the chicken skin off the chicken after crisping it up in the pan before it went in the oven to braise. :D 

Dinner--

chicken thigh

artichokes

pearl onions

cauliflower

We ate pretty early, like 6pm. I tossed some cauli into the pot halfway thru cooking. 

Snack

Coconut flakes, 2 dates.  

was satisfying. No problem watching hubby eat cookies during the movie or wanting any other snack. 

All compliant food, spacing a bit off. and i tracked  calories on myfitnesspal. 

Monday Jan 27

aidells chicken and apple sausage

bowl of berries--probably 1.5 cups mixed of  blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries. 

Was running VERY late today and brought breakfast to eat at work. Got sucked into a meeting and so that  didn't happen.  Was kinda hungry but I'm ok. I can try to eat lunch a bit later, but doubtful. Probably eating dinner here at work as well. All leftovers from last nights dinner. 

Get this, at work they put out a platter for the breakfast meeting. Basket of pastries and bagels and  sweetened yogurt.  A  bowl of berries and a plate  of  freshly baked mint chocolate chip cookies. Seriously.  I work at a place that thinks fresh baked cookies from fridge  dough is a good idea for breakfast? I wasn't even tempted, I was kinda horrified. I wanted to wait until I could heat up my sausage, so I just waited. Besides, eating hot food would have been rude. :)

Oh! Bottled up two gallons of kombucha yesterday. Some plain into to the fridge. Some with fresh ginger and tumeric root into the cupboard for a second fermentation! 

1330 lunch

burger patty

sauteed onions and mushrooms--seriously like a tablespoon full :mellow:

more berries!

so much for eating lunch later. Boss bought us lunch from a food truck. They were out of avocado which was my first topping choice. Didn't like the seasoning...was dry and over cooked. Mushrooms and onions were chopped into a paste. SO over food trucks. Would have rather had my leftovers. 

I feel the need to eat more veggies but that would just be weird and Im not really hungry.  Oh well..that's one less meal I need to prep. I can have it for lunch tomorrow. 

1930 dinner

grilled chicken

avocado

grilled veg

onion/artichokes leftovers

poquito mas power protein plate chicken. tiny portion of chicken. maybe 1/4 of an avocado and loads of zucchini.  Kind of picked off the chicken and avocado. Ate some peppers and onions. Left the rest of the veg as it was gross. Was full, but knew it wouldnt be enough food so I had some of last nights dinner left overs. Gonna be a looong night at work. 

Wed Jan 29th

breakfast

4 medium eggs

1.5 tbl coconut oil 

1 can tjs hatch green chili

have a very busy day at work, wanted to make sure I wouldn't need to eat for a long, long time :) Yesterday was crazy busy, got so much done. Still haven't really strayed off W30 yet. Just haven't felt anything is worth it.  hubby has been compling meals were too heavy, so I've been cutting back on fat and just adding some to mine after. Last night I didn't do that, and I was really hungry before bed, kinda wanted something sweet.  I grabbed a pear and after three bites was more then satisfied, so I wrapped it up and put it away. I hate wasting food but whatever. It's total mush now :(

lunch

left over red curry from last night dinner

pear

2 dove dark squares

Got a very good announcment today at work so I think we're going for sushi to celebrate. Yay!! Kinda scared I will feel like crap after but oh well.  Off work tomorrow so right back to it. Im going to try to avoid soy but the only other thing to be re-introded will be white rice, which I am almost certain doesn't bother me other than giving me carb cravings. 

went for sushi last night and ate pretty much everything I wanted. we stuck to just sushi . plain fish on rice with nori. kept the soy sauce for dipping to a very minimum and two of the Items has a light Ponzu dressing on it so I didn't even dip it in soy sauce at all. Nothing battered or fried and nothing saucey.

I did eat a tiny scoop of green tea ice cream they brought us for dessert seriously it was Maybe 2 tablespoons. I felt great no side effects, So of course I went home and ate a piece of Egg nog pound cake my husband's mother made for Christmas, he had just taken it out of the freezer. Sigh. What was i thinking! there was also a cranberry nut loaf, I got in to that too. Cut a big piece off, took a bite and decided it didn't taste that good and hucked it in the trash after one bite. Wtf!!

However I still woke up today feelingt great. I know that's only because I have over a month of clean eating in the bank so 1 night wont kill me. i have to get back to it or I will start feeling like crap again, not to mention my clothes are getting loose, I'd like to keep it moving in that direction.

Home from work today and really glad there was no half and half in the house because I woke up and thought ice cream didn't make me feel bad, maybe I can go back to cream in my coffee. However half and half is not going to add anything to nutritionally and just be extra calories I don't need, taking the place of healthy fats.

so I woke up had a nice glass of kombucha and ate some of my leftover red curry Chicken for breakfast. lunch was a big sweet potato baked mashed with coconut oil, I know I'm lacking in the protein department but I have a big dinner planned. Making shrimp scampi and a platter of roasted vegetables. brussel sprouts, fennel and carrots. I also made a batch of spinach frittata muffins and cut up loads of jicama and carrot sticks. I figure that out to get me through work tomorrow and Saturday as we always go out All Day and lately I've been packing a cooler in the car it's great because I also pack snacks for the kids too.

I am only working 2 days next week, then a 60 hour week and I leave for my ski trip.

Friday Jan 31

breakfast

3 spinach frittata muffins. 

bleh. I didn't put any coconut milk or anything in them. Just eggs and cooked spinach. Booooo-ring. won't make that mistake again. Probably need more fat, but nothing really here other than nuts. Have a 1pm meeting with pizza and pasta catered in. Might eat lunch early so I can just avoid that scene. Not looking forward to this meeting at all and nothing to do with the food. 

You know it sounds to me like your reactions may not necessarily be immediately physical but more psychological. This is the way I am. I do notice the physical stuff when I go too overboard but eating off plan for me usually leads me towards the binge behaviors that this way of eating has let me be pretty much completely free. It's a good thing to note for your future reference.  

I agree. I feel much better without sugar/grains etc in my diet. Sugar is an addictive drug!!! Im convinced of it.  Ive even binged on garbanzo beans before...sigh. I love them....However it feels so good to be "free" from food....not a slave to it.  I bought some coconut at an ethnic market and I risked the fact it had added sugar as no ingredients were listed. It was large dehydrated slices, not flakes... It looked INCREDIBLE.  I ate some and knew right away  it had added sugar and I had to force myself to not snack all night after eating it. But...I knew WHY and was able to stop myself.

The good part of having a non compliant spouse? To foist the bad food on!! I made my hubby eat the coconut to get rid of it. I packed some in his lunch and told him to make the rest of it vanish ASAP. 

Survived the Friday meeting no problem. Ate my lunch before and just told my co workers I quit dairy.  Of course I get home and the boys wanted to try the new pizza place at the bottom of the hill.  I had a bite of pizza....decided it wasn't that good and spit it out. I did pick off some sausage and eat that though. 

Had a good weekend, stayed mostly on track. We were out all day on saturday and I ended up eating too many nuts and some cashew butter in place of lunch while out all day. I had a solid breakfast (artichoke omlette)   went out for  an early dinner. A really good mexican hole in the wall my husband had found and wanted to take me to. Had shirimp/chicken fajitas. No beans, rice or totillas. The oil was probably horrible but it is what it is.  Next time I will get the ceviche to avoid the oil issue. 

Sunday I made the boys 'normal' pancakes and made pumpkin paleo ones for myself.  They we're very "okay" and Im not really a pancake person to begin with. I think I needed some sweetner (i used none) and WAY more spices and they will be better. I was just SO FUCKING SICK OF EGGS. so it was nice for a change. The only saving grace was I fried them in ghee and they were cripsy on the outside and I put a bit of maple syrup on top.  But raw inside. Need to cook them lower and slower, too. However I got none of the carb rush/crash that real pancakes give me. and I even packed up the other half of the batter to use for later. Which will be tomorrow as Im not working. 

Sunday lunch I ate some questionable lunch meats that hubby bought. (mortadella, capicola, salami) ...but not very much. Had  less then one ounce of a very nice pecorino.   I've been tracking with myfitnesspal and staying to obsess over calories/carbs. Sigh. Working on letting it go.  

For dinner last night I made braised chicken thighs with cabbage served over baby spinach and roasted brussels. 

Today working a long day and packed three W30 meals. 

Breakfast 

spinach egg fritattas

blackberries 6 oz

lunch

chicken/cabbage leftovers

roasted carrots

dinner

chicken/cabbage leftover

roasted carrots

was home from work the last few days so hard to really post. I don't have a computer at home, just a tablet so I run myfitnesspal app to track food. Not as concerned with the calories etc. but its just easier to keep track of what I had on the app and if I eat something bad I have to stare it in the face lol. And  Ate pretty on track for the most part, but I am feeling bloated and like any weight I lost on the W30 is back. Sigh. Starting to get back to no breakfast and snacking all morning. Buying a container of cashew butter was a total fail.  Looks like I left off at Feb 3rd. I'll do a brief recap for posterity. lol. 

Tuesday Feb 4th

fitness pal says nothing. Um. huh. I did take the kid to school then go on a shopping expedition to Whole foods and trader joes. Oh yes..I remember now. 

Breakfast was  nuts and funky paleo trail mix they had in the bulk bins (it was gross) Oh!!!!! I remember eating some bread (!)  I really really wanted to eat brie and crusty baguette...and I ended up eating some organic seeded bread that was on a sample plate  and had heartburn all day. Sigh.  

For lunch  I tried to salvage the remaining pumpkin pancake batter. It ended up being more like pumpkin custard eating with sausage Bleh. 

For dinner I made nomnompaleos umamai sliders and served them over spinach with a mustard vinaigrette. (sweetened with maple syrup) I also have some shavings of pecorino cheese. 

Wed Feb 5th. 

breakfast

Salmi and dried figs for breakfast. (columbus uncured fennel)

Lunch

Spainch meatball pecorino salad. Same as dinner. 

Right after eating the salad, my throat got scratcy. Nixing the dairy me thinks. :( 

Dinner

mustard crusted pork loin

roasted onions

sweet potato fries

I feel like over all I ate way too much today!

Thursday Feb 6th. 

Breakfast

Aidells chicken apple sausage

greek olives

roasted broccoli

Lunch

leftover pork loin

asparagus fritatta muffin

1/2 apple

Dinner

Cauliflower fried rice with chicken thigh. 

I did a big cookup on thursday and entirely snacked WAY TOO MUCH. I have become addicted to carrots roasted in coconut oil and cashew butter (not at the same time) 

Friday Feb 7th

Breakfast

asparagus fritta muffins (2)

wholly guacamole

red bell pepper (eaten like an apple!)

i did a big cook up yesterday and as of today I am starting a W7. A week from today, I am leaving on vacation to go snowboarding for a week in utah. When I come back from my trip, Ia m going to start another W30.

While away I am going to try to stay as close to W30 as possible n but want to be able to off road of something really warrants it. Or have a cup of hot cocoa in the chalet if I really want it. I am staying with a good friend and she is gluten free and a retired pro athlete. She understands dietary needs and besides, part of the agreement of me staying with her is that I will cook for her when Im there :)

lunch

roast pork loin

roasted apples and carrots

red bell pepper (eaten like an apple!)

wholly guacamole

Dinner Peruvian cau cau chicken

so after two very good compliant meals I got home from work and both hubby and I were exhausted I didn't feel like cooking . didn't have anything really really prepared and we both kind of just wanted to go out . We were originally going to get Vietnamese and I was all set to order phone with no noodles an extra meat but the restaurant was jam packed and took forever to even just get a menu not to mention was freezing cold. so we decided to go next door to the Peruvian joint where everything look delicious but not really anything with vegetables.m it was all meat and potatoes . I've had a lot of Peruvian food so at least I was able to steer clear of the sauce is that contain dairy I'm sure mine had tons of non-compliant oil but other than that it was just chicken and potato in sauce. Tumeric mint sauce. and rice. Of which I ate every grain.

of course I had a few bites of hubbys dish which was loaded with cheese.

Sigh. it was really delicious and totally worth it there was a baklava place next door and I so badly wanted to get some but I was able to talk myself out of it and now I feel ready to eat clean for at least a couple of weeks I feel like that was enough to get it out of my system I hope anyway

Saturday February 8th breakfast

Asparagus fritta muffin

Wholly guacamole

lunch

Cashew butter

Dried apricots

Chicken thigh

really really really really wanted to eat pastries all morning at the farmers market. So when I got home I made homemade Lara bar with cashew butter dried apricots and a touch of coconut milk. I know very bad but it could have been worse I didn't eat all of it and threw the rest in the freezer. I will feed to hubby when he gets home from work. I also did all the prep work for dinner

Dinner

Chicken sate salad with peanut sauce (made with cashew butter)

chicken thighs marinated in coconut milk red curry paste cilantro and turmeric served over spinach baby romaine shredded carrots and bell pepper with cashew butter dressing

Out of kombucha. :-(

Sunday

Breakfast 

asparagus fritatta

Lunch-went to cocos

bruger patty with musrooms and onions

when I got home bell pepper dipped in sunshine sauce. 

dinner

grass fed meat balls

nomnompaleo brussle slaw

Monday

kale fritatta muffins (made with copious amounts of coconut milk for fat) 

lunch

grass fed meat balls

handful olives

brussle slaw

one chocolate small peice dark choc

dinner 

same as lunch

Did a giant cook up yesterday as I have a very long work week. Got in monday, found out I have the rest of the day off work. My clients pushed til next week. Except I will be on my ski trip! Sadly I lose the weeks pay but whatever. i need a vacation. 

And now, I have food for the week anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

oh the ski trip went terribly.  I ate tons o crap, I also ate a lot of good meals too.  probably 50/50.  And sadly I don't feel as crappy as I thought I would. Sigh!!

I clearly need hard and fast rules! I am going to do another W30 but with some slight modifications so I will keep it here.   I am doing good today. Tomorrow I am going to go shopping and do a huge cook up.  Sunday I will eat up the rest of the non compliant (for me) foods and start on Monday. 

so I plan to do the W30 with these 'additional' rules

No Nuts or Nut Butters

No Dried Fruit

No Sweet Potatos, Yams or Plantains. 

These are all SERIOUS trigger foods for binging for me.  I would like to avoid all startchy veg as much as possible. I do well with lo carb diets. 

Also, I plan to track my food in my fitness pal.  But do not plan on weighing myself (can't don't own a scale) or taking measurements. 

My only goal is to fit back into my ski pants. The nice gore tex ones I can't afford to replace in a bigger size. 

Have a busy weekend coming up! Not only do I need to shop as the fridge is bare and run a whole host of errands that have backed up from being out of town for a week. Most importantly  i need to deal with the kombucha! I have three 1 gallon brews going (different tea types) and I need to bottle them up and start 3 new batches. 

so I plan to do the W30 with these 'additional' rules

No Nuts or Nut Butters

No Dried Fruit

No Sweet Potatos, Yams or Plantains. 

These are all SERIOUS trigger foods for binging for me.  I would like to avoid all startchy veg as much as possible. I do well with lo carb diets. 

I'm thinking of doing a similar thing except I'd only be cutting out nuts, dried fruit, and fresh fruit (with the exception of maybe 2-3 pieces a week and I won't buy more than that). I'll still eat sweet potatoes (1-2 small ones a day --they're about 3-4oz each) with a couple tsp of almond butter on them. I don't seem to overeat those--but I do think that dried fruit, nuts, and even fresh fruit are foods without brakes for me. 

for me I make sweet potato fries and plantain chips clearly they are Swypo. even mashed sweet potato plain with nothing on it, I will eat bowls of if it's arous. if I bake more than one the time I end up eating them all its really sad:-(

for me I make sweet potato fries and plantain chips clearly they are Swypo. even mashed sweet potato plain with nothing on it, I will eat bowls of if it's arous. if I bake more than one the time I end up eating them all its really sad:-(

awww don't say that. It's not "sad" ...it's just something that is difficult for you to control yourself around and that's fine. I'm the same way with nuts--especially pistachios so I can't buy them. I just found out that I'm apparently that way with dried fruit that I don't even like (darn apricots) haha. So, I completely get it and it's okay not to have perfect portion control around every single food. You're doing something about it by just omitting them altogether until you feel more capable. 

• 1 year later...

Monday Jan 27

bowl of berries--probably 1.5 cups mixed of  blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries. 

Was running VERY late today and brought breakfast to eat at work. Got sucked into a meeting and so that  didn't happen.  Was kinda hungry but I'm ok. I can try to eat lunch a bit later, but doubtful. Probably eating dinner here at work as well. All leftovers from last nights dinner. 

Get this, at work they put out a platter for the breakfast meeting. Basket of pastries and bagels and  sweetened yogurt.  A  bowl of berries and a plate  of  freshly baked mint chocolate chip cookies. Seriously.  I work at a place that thinks fresh baked cookies from fridge  dough is a good idea for breakfast? I wasn't even tempted, I was kinda horrified. I wanted to wait until I could heat up my sausage, so I just waited. Besides, eating hot food would have been rude. :)

Oh! Bottled up two gallons of kombucha yesterday. Some plain into to the fridge. Some with fresh ginger and tumeric root into the cupboard for a second fermentation! 

1330 lunch

burger patty

sauteed onions and mushrooms--seriously like a tablespoon full :mellow:

more berries!

so much for eating lunch later. Boss bought us lunch from a food truck. They were out of avocado which was my first topping choice. Didn't like the seasoning...was dry and over cooked. Mushrooms and onions were chopped into a paste. SO over food trucks. Would have rather had my leftovers. 

I feel the need to eat more veggies but that would just be weird and Im not really hungry.  Oh well..that's one less meal I need to prep. I can have it for lunch tomorrow. 

1930 dinner

grilled chicken

avocado

grilled veg

onion/artichokes leftovers

poquito mas power protein plate chicken. tiny portion of chicken. maybe 1/4 of an avocado and loads of zucchini.  Kind of picked off the chicken and avocado. Ate some peppers and onions. Left the rest of the veg as it was gross. Was full, but knew it wouldnt be enough food so I had some of last nights dinner left overs. Gonna be a looong night at work. 

Do you know how Poquito Mas cooks their meat?  I am curious if their marinades, etc. are compliant.  Looked on their website but could find zero nutritional information.  Thanks!!

Archived