Food Frustrations

RedStenKnits

Good afternoon! (or morning as the case may be)

I'm getting ready to start my first whole30 (go me!) and I've been collecting recipes so that I prevent myself from having a "I don't know what to make" moment of weakness. 

Here is the delimma.  I'm allergic to avocado, and hate (HATE HATE) the taste of coconut.  I find myself running into lots of recipes that require or suggest avocado and/or the use of coconut milk, oil, etc.

Any one have a suggestion of other things I could use to replace these things in the recipes?  I know there are many I will just have to forego completely, but I'm interested to see what clever ideas may be out there as a go around..

Thank you very much for your time!!

I hate coconut and don't think coconut milk tastes much like coconut.  Maybe try making something with a lot of spice to it and that might mask the coconut taste even more.  (Though, I think coconut flavour has grown on me over the last few years, so maybe I just don't notice it as much now)

Otherwise, you can make all sorts of dipping sauces with homemade mayo to get some fats in.

I hate coconut. Hate it. That said, I still use coconut milk or coconut oil in applications where I won't taste it. For example, a little coconut milk as a binder or to add some creaminess is fine for me. I'll sautée onion in coconut oil if it's destined for chili, where the meat and spices far outweigh any coconut flavor. But I won't pan-fry in coconut oil, for example - the taste is too strong. In those cases I use ghee instead.

I don't love avocado either - I really only eat it in chili. My other fat sources are ghee, lots of mayo, olive oil in salad dressings and on zoodles, nuts a few times a week.

Annabel -

Thank you! 

I'll try adding spice to it.  I tried baking some fish the other day and using cocnut oil on the pan and could totally taste it in the fish.  May have been the oil I used.

I don't really care for mayo either.  I never have, but I'm being open-minded about that because it may just be because I have always had the store bought stuff.

Thank you again!

I don't really care for mayo either.  I never have, but I'm being open-minded about that because it may just be because I have always had the store bought stuff.

Thank you again!

I was never a mayo fan before my Whole30.  That completely changed once I started making my own paleo mayo.  Now I'm never without it: use it on baked sweet potato, in salmon or chicken salad, and as a base for dressings.  I encourage you to give it a try - tastes completely different - and better - than any store-bought mayo.

I don't use coconut oil much myself.  I tend to sub in animal fats instead.  Lard or tallow from a good animal source is a wonderful replacement for coconut oil if you don't want the coconut taste.  If you can't find it locally, do a search for 'Fatworks' where you can buy it by mail.

I also didn't like mayo for most of my life, but I find I do like the homemade stuff.  My favorite is mayo made with macadamia nut oil - so mild and delicious!!  So yes, definitely try making your own before giving up on it.

I've had two friends tell me, after trying my homemade mayo, that they feel like they've been lied to about mayo their entire lives. So I'd say try it before you write it off! :)

Zoodles = zucchini noodles, sorry. I love making them with garlic powder and olive oil per the recipe in Well Fed (very similar to this one on Melissa Joulwan's blog, except without the eggs).

Good afternoon! (or morning as the case may be)

I'm getting ready to start my first whole30 (go me!) and I've been collecting recipes so that I prevent myself from having a "I don't know what to make" moment of weakness. 

Here is the delimma.  I'm allergic to avocado, and hate (HATE HATE) the taste of coconut.  I find myself running into lots of recipes that require or suggest avocado and/or the use of coconut milk, oil, etc.

Any one have a suggestion of other things I could use to replace these things in the recipes?  I know there are many I will just have to forego completely, but I'm interested to see what clever ideas may be out there as a go around..

Thank you very much for your time!!

How about animal fat like Duck, Tallow or lard? You can get them from Fatworks. http://fatworks.wazala.com/. Also you might try making your own almond milk to replace coconut milk in some recipes. http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/06/17/homemade-almond-milk/.

www.recreationandwhimsy.com/2012/12/05/recipe-paleo-bolognese is a great recipe that has coconut milk to add some creaminess but you can't taste the coconut at all.  The tomatoes help cover it up.  This makes a big batch so you can freeze half for later.  It's great over spaghetti squash.  Also, I have found that sauteeing onions in coconut oil gets rid of the coconut flavor too.  Well Fed's Chocolate Chili helped me discover that!

You can buy ghee at Whole Foods or online or make your own.  If you make youre own, you can cook it to the point of it being a light golden color (clarified butter) or cook it until it's a little darker color for a more nutty flavor.  I LOVE ghee and use it to cook a lot of my veggies.  I also render sugar-free bacon to cook with. (Bonus: cut bacon into smaller pieces to cook then drain and use the pieces of bacon on your salads ;) )

Thank you everyone so much for the suggestions! 

I will definetly be trying to make my own mayo!  Don't knock until you try it right!  I also presume that making your own allows you to season it how you like it (mmmmm spicy!) 

Animal fats are sounding like a good alternative to coconut oil in some cases.  (I'll just have to get over the 30 years of "don't eat that fat" I was brought up with LOL) .  I wonder if there is such think as super refined coconut oil.

I made my own ghee last night (just enough for the green beans as a tester) and loved it! 

Not sure I'm motivated enough to make my own almond milk, but I'm in luck! There is a gentleman here in town who makes his own and sells it for what I concider insanely low prices for home made almond milk.  So I could use coconut milk in recipes with enough other flavors to hopefully mask the coconut and on others use the almond milk.

Mmm zoodles sound great!!

Thank you again everyone!!!  I feel more confident going into this now.

Yes! I actually make my mayo with apple cider vinegar in place of the lemon juice because I like the tang. I'd try it once per a recipe and then do whatever you like. I used some of mine this week as a base for remoulade - endless possibilities!

My understanding is that the refined coconut oil doesn't have the health benefits of the unrefined coconut oil - still OK for cooking with, but you're not getting the good stuff. However, I've never seen a good breakdown of the characteristics of both, so if the mods have more/better info I'd love to see it!

Eating fat is freeing and delicious. :)

It's worth noting that many folks who can't stand coconut are used to "flavored" coconut products that taste like suntan lotion, or baked goods and candies that use coconut flavoring.  I would be hesitant to say you hate coconut oil until you can try it somewhere.  Perhaps you will hate it, but you may very well be suirprised at how little flavor it has.

My mother-in-law DESPISES coconut to the point that she gags when she smells suntan lotion. I cooked some chicken in unrefined coconut oil while she was visiting and she recognized it was "different", but couldn't put her finger on it.  When I told her what it was, she was shocked. She equates "coconut" with "fake pina colada", but coconut milk and coconut oil are VERY different from that flavor.

Archived