PUPPP diagnosis - any luck managing symptoms with a Whole30 compliant diet?

I'm 35 weeks pregnant and have been diagnosed with PUPPP, basically an itchy, red rash all over my stomach. In the last week it has spread to my arms as well. I'm beside myself with itchiness and I really don't want to take steroids to manage it if I can avoid them. 

I read on another forum that some women have had success managing their symptoms with an elimination diet, very similar to a Whole30. Has anyone here had any experience with PUPPP and a reduction in symptoms while Whole30'ing?

Oh you poor poor thing. I had PUPPP the last 2 weeks during my first pregnancy. It was utterly miserable. It started on my stomach but basically spread all over my body. I didn't have the really red plaques like you can see in some cases but my skin constantly crawled. During my first pregnancy I ate the SAD so I really can't speak from experience whether the Whole30 would help you. I am currently pregnant with my second and have been eating paleo/whole30 almost the entire time. PUPPP usually presents in the third trimester so I haven't had any signs of it yet (I'm 22 weeks) However, I would be willing to bet it WOULD help. If it can help with skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis I bet it would help with PUPPP too. If you have never done one maybe this is your excuse to get motivated and start. You may also want to look into the Paleo AIP as well. It's a bit more restrictive than the whole30 but can help you maybe pinpoint your triggers better since you also cut out eggs, nuts, and nightshades. In the mean time just keep your skin moisturized really well. Try Sarna lotion. That seemed to really help me. And oatmeal baths.

Oh, that sounds awful! I didn't have PUPPP, but I did get a poison oak-type contact dermatitis at 38 weeks pregnant. My entire body was miserably itchy in the middle of a heat wave, and I ended up using a prescription steroid cream (as sparingly as possible) after trying baking soda, colloidal oatmeal, witch hazel, and OTC hydrocortisone creams with no luck. I personally decided that the stress I was feeling with the itching and embarrassment and lack of sleep was harder on the baby than the "stress" of using the steroid that late in pregnancy :( But of course, that was my decision.

I have to imagine that eating as clean a diet as possible will only help reduce the inflammation in your body and improve healing time. Best of luck!

Oh no!! I am SO sorry for you!  I have had that with both of my pregnancies and would not wish it on ANYONE.

I am praying, praying, praying that if God blesses us with a third child that eating this way will prevent PUPPPS.  It is the most miserable thing, and mine (for some strange reason) do not disappear with delivery.  But not to worry, I think I am extremely unusual in that right.  And you are almost there!!  

Have you tried Dandelion Root tea?  The supplements are too powerful for pregnancy, but it is possible you may find some relief with one or two cups of that a day.  I didn't... but I thought I would throw it out there.  *Hugs*  And let us know if Whole30 does help!

I had PUPPP during my pregnancy and at 4 months PP while breastfeeding. The only cure I have found is V8 juice. Spread the word this really takes the rash and itching away! I would drink a big bottle of V8 a day for three days and it started to dry up and fade away. I kept drinking a small bottle of V8 everyday to keep from reoccurring. I think I will continue to drink V8 daily until I am done breastfeeding just to be safe. I have struggled with this and spent sleepless nights googling for a cure or remedy that would help and stumbled upon this from a husband posting about the success his wife had from drinking V8...SO GLAD HE DID!! This discovery was a miracle and let me have my sleep back and peace back!

Hi ladies,

Update: the PUPPPs has settled down with pine tar soap showers and being as whole30 compliant as I can (since the 30th I've had 4 meals that either had dairy or added sugar in it). Unfortunately, I'm now dealing with morning sickness again which is making it harder to stick to my Whole30 goals and keep food down at all! I've definitely noticed that eating dairy is a trigger. If I have any I am for sure more itchy within an hour of eating it. This makes me think that if I was 100% compliant I'd see an even bigger reduction in symptoms. It's definitely much more bearable though!

Thank you for the additional suggestions and things to try! I really appreciated the support.

• 1 year later...

When I was pregnant I had PUPPPS and I was told to take Dandelion and Nettles supplements - I started with the tea, but was told the capsules would be fine.  After taking them, I actually had relief...and when I stopped taking it, the itching came right back.  I will never look at a dandelion again.  I know that some will say the tablets are too strong - but I did have a healthy boy - and was able to enjoy the rest of my pregnancy.  I wanted to share because it SAVED me.  Good luck!

Archived