Daily Guidelines and demands of job

lfrangipane

In preparing my meal planning, I struggle with the daily guidelines of eating three meals a day. My career as an elementary physical education teacher requires (by choice) me to be active with my students. Additionally, my personal athletic output is high. The three meals I have a day are substantial. However, I feel my energy level throughout the school day depletes because I am active all day. Furthermore, I still want gas in the tank for my workout in the afternoon, or, at times be able to recover from an early a.m. workout and be energetic throughout the day for my job.

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated. Specifically, what could that fourth meal for the day be?

Thank you,

Lisa

Have you read It Starts with Food? The book provides specific quidelines for extra nutrition around workouts, basically suggesting a pre-workout snack of protein and fat, and a post workout snack of protein and carbohydrates (preferably not fruit, but something like sweet potatoes). It's up to you to determine how much of your daily activities constitute "workouts" but I would guess that at least two snacks would be appropriate for you.

good luck!

If you want a snack, just make it a "mini meal". It should include carbs, protein & fats. I usually just half the amount I would have for BLD if I am having a snack. They don't have strict rules about how many meals, and I think if you are hungry you should eat! You know your body better than a rule book :)

Archived