Day 7 of 1st whole30 help with snacking

JaseyLeigh

This is day 7 of my first whole 30 and, although I'm making progress, I am having serious issues with snacking between meals.  Although the snacks are approved (olives, coconut flakes etc.)  I'm still trying to understand if it is just eating out of habit (boredom?) or actual physical hunger?  I've had 2 lara bars in the last 2 days and reach for dates anytime I have a craving (usually after dinner).  Learning to like more veggies but really want to clean it up and change habits for the next bit. 

Anyone else in the same boat?  Suggestions????

If you're wanting to snack, chances are that that portion sizes of your earlier meals are not big enough. Play with the protein, vegetables and fat at each of your meals, tweaking until each meal satiates you for 4-5 hours.

In the meantime, if you are genuinely hungry between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal that includes a protein and fat. 

Hide the Larabars - those are emergency food only on a Whole30.

Snacking can be a tough habit to break, even if you consciously realize you aren't hungry. It may take more than a week to get used to new habits. You could still be going through sugar withdrawals too (depends on what your old diet looked like...). So instead of being hungry it could be cravings? It takes me about 3 weeks to get past that.

3 weeks - oye vey! Maybe I should minimize the fruit until the last week.  I see lots of old patterns emerging (is it even possible to binge on dried mango?)  I think I will probably be one of those people that just can't do sugar - period.  Anything that even resembles sweet is gone in one fell swoop. 

Thanks for the tips!

(is it even possible to binge on dried mango?)   

Uhhh...yes, **raises hand**. I wish I could find some in bulk w/out sugar, so I could just buy a few pieces. I need to stop buying bags of it. TOO GOOD.

(is it even possible to binge on dried mango?) 

Guilty! When I had a 30 minute drive home from my grocery store which I usually hit after the gym I would eat an entire bag while driving. Ugh and such. I try not to buy dried fruits unless I need them for a recipe.

I'm also doing the whole 30 for the first time, JaseyLeigh! I have tried to keep snacking at a bare minimum ( actually thought it is not really allowed, or highly discouraged?) but have also grabbed some coconut flakes now and then, but I am thinking that's not too bad. I do find myself wanting to eat some raisins, and I have recognized it as a desire for sugar. So am trying only use in a recipe too.

I was hungry the first 4-5 days, but that seems to be getting better.

One week down and 4 to go!!!! Good luck to everyone out there........we can all do this!

JaseyLeigh- thanks for posting this. Yesterday was day 1 for me and I snacked a bit. I can see that carb cravings will be a tough habit to kick, but I don't want to be ruled by sugar and carbs anymore. It's helpful to know that I'm not alone in this snack-boat (let's jump ship!) and to read what everyone else has to say about this.

Oh, and congrats on your first week!

: )

Trying to be proactive in nipping this in the bud, I read somewhere else around here to eat a spoonful of coconut oil when you're craving carbs.  I ate a small bit of manna butter last night after dinner (my usual i-need-sweets-now time) and it was successful.  Almost lunch here at work and so far so good.

No snacking in sight:)

Glad I'm not alone in this journey to good health!

I'm on day 8 of my first W30.  Dole makes a frozen mango that's perfect for adding a splash of flavor and smoothness to your smoothies.  Checked the ingredients on teh back.... Mangos.   One word ingredient.  Gotta love it.  Since it is precut you just take a couple out and keep on moving.  Had a great smoothie with mango, fresh strawberries, bell pepper, apple, almond butter and tons of SPINACH this morning.  Still haven't eaten lunch yet.  Just starting to get hungry.

You can do this! Let's keep this thread going.  My 22nd start date thread is lonely.  Nobody's posted since day 1.  I think everyone already fell off the bandwagon!! LOL!

I'm on day 8 of my first W30.  Dole makes a frozen mango that's perfect for adding a splash of flavor and smoothness to your smoothies.  Checked the ingredients on teh back.... Mangos.   One word ingredient.  Gotta love it.  Since it is precut you just take a couple out and keep on moving.  Had a great smoothie with mango, fresh strawberries, bell pepper, apple, almond butter and tons of SPINACH this morning.  Still haven't eaten lunch yet.  Just starting to get hungry.

You can do this! Let's keep this thread going.  My 22nd start date thread is lonely.  Nobody's posted since day 1.  I think everyone already fell off the bandwagon!! LOL!

Sorry - smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30. The idea is to chew your food vs. drink it, as chewing is more satiating.  A fruit-dense smoothie is especially a problem because it's too much fruit in one sitting - too easy to overdo the 1-2 daily fruit servings. (Fruit serving is a whole piece of fruit the size of your fist.)

I am on day 5 and snacking too (compliant -- nuts, hardboiled eggs, berries, deli meat, veggies, apples w/ nut butter).  On the one hand, I think I just haven't quite figured out how to eat enough during meals (I have always been a "grazer" -- I just cannot eat a lot at one sitting/meal).  There is only so much squash and spinach a girl can put in her mouth before just being over it.  I also feel that I need to snack because I workout a lot.  Already my workouts have become SO MUCH HARDER -- my muscles ache, my breathing is heavy; it's awful in general.  I am *genuinely hungry -- even past hungry* (yes, I would gladly eat a bowl of steamed broccoli) when I reach for the snacks.  I need to still be able to work and have half of my mind left.  I am foggy and grouchy, and I swear my other half is going to leave me at any moment.  

All of this is to say, I am right there with you -- still trying to figure out the balance of meals so that the snacking goes away; however, I have serious doubts that I will ever be able to move away from the five smaller meals to the three main meals.  

I will say that these forums are reassuring in the sense that I have quickly learned that what I am going through is a "normal" part of the process.  

Sorry - smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30. The idea is to chew your food vs. drink it, as chewing is more satiating.  A fruit-dense smoothie is especially a problem because it's too much fruit in one sitting - too easy to overdo the 1-2 daily fruit servings. (Fruit serving is a whole piece of fruit the size of your fist.)

Chris, where is the magical list of the exact daily and per meal stick to plan?  I've got the W30 meal plannig guide.  That doesn't list maxes per day though.  Thank you sir/ma'am.  :-)

Chris, where is the magical list of the exact daily and per meal stick to plan?  I've got the W30 meal plannig guide.  That doesn't list maxes per day though.  Thank you sir/ma'am.  :-)

Here is the meal template: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf  The meal planning chapter in It Starts With Food calls out the 1-2 servings per day on fruit, and the caveat to have it with or immediately after your meals. (Page 192, if you happen to have the book.)

For further reading, here is the Can I Have? Guide which includes the explanation for discouraging smoothies. http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

I am on day 5 and snacking too (compliant -- nuts, hardboiled eggs, berries, deli meat, veggies, apples w/ nut butter).  On the one hand, I think I just haven't quite figured out how to eat enough during meals (I have always been a "grazer" -- I just cannot eat a lot at one sitting/meal).  There is only so much squash and spinach a girl can put in her mouth before just being over it.  I also feel that I need to snack because I workout a lot.  Already my workouts have become SO MUCH HARDER -- my muscles ache, my breathing is heavy; it's awful in general.  I am *genuinely hungry -- even past hungry* (yes, I would gladly eat a bowl of steamed broccoli) when I reach for the snacks.  I need to still be able to work and have half of my mind left.  I am foggy and grouchy, and I swear my other half is going to leave me at any moment.  

All of this is to say, I am right there with you -- still trying to figure out the balance of meals so that the snacking goes away; however, I have serious doubts that I will ever be able to move away from the five smaller meals to the three main meals.  

I will say that these forums are reassuring in the sense that I have quickly learned that what I am going through is a "normal" part of the process.  

If you work out a lot, have a preWO snack of a protein and optional fat, and postWO snack that has protein and carb. Reserve your 1-2 daily servings of fruit to enjoy only with or immediately after your meals.

If you are hungry between meals and need to snack, have a mini-meal of a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30. Again, no fruit.

Check to ensure your deli meat is compliant: no carrageenan, gluten or sweeteners.

Keep playing with the portion sizes of your meals, to get your meals to satiate you for 4-5 hours.

I have the need for crunch. I can actually do alright without deserts (except the wine! That I miss already, and it's day ONE!). But I really like the crunch. Is it bad to snack on things like carrot crisps or yam crisps? If I bake them up myself with only barely a little oil to stop the sticking and some salt and pepper? 

Or is it just the very notion of snacking? I'm a bit confused by this. 

I have the need for crunch. I can actually do alright without deserts (except the wine! That I miss already, and it's day ONE!). But I really like the crunch. Is it bad to snack on things like carrot crisps or yam crisps? If I bake them up myself with only barely a little oil to stop the sticking and some salt and pepper? 

Please don't snack on those things, but if you want to make them yourself as a side dish to your meal you can do that.

Whole30 only wants you to snack if you are genuinely hungry in between meals. The test for hunger is to ask yourself if you could eat steamed fish and broccoli.  If the answer is yes, the recommended snack is to have a mini-meal containing protein and fat. So something like chicken, carrots and avocado would work.

Being hungry in between can also be a sign that your earlier meals aren't big enough. Play with your portion sizes until you get to a point where your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.

If it's more of a craving (and not hunger) between meals, then do something non food related. Go for a walk, call a friend, read, knit, whatever.

Archived