Any other Australians?

LauraJS

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lesley it's a pain about the Fish sauce - I sub in coconut aminos and use Banaban which is the one I think you are using Alison.

I was reading other posts and one moderator wrote with regard to sulfites that if it wasn't listed on the ingredient list then it would be okay to use and I'm using the same theory that if sugar or any of it's forms isn't listed on the ingredient list then it should be okay.  

Alison Jane - i just bought 2 bottles of the Niulife coconut aminos the other day assuming they'd be fine and was congratulating myself that i wouldn't need to buy anymore until after the Whole30. Ha! Checked the labels when I got home and had to go back out to a different store to buy the other brand. A lot of money has just been spent on coconut aminos!

I'm going to make the chocolate chilli that everyone has been raving about tomorrow - have any of you made it?

@lesley2014, if you find one, please let us know what brand and where - I did find one at Woolies, only to get home and realise that the preservative is a sulfite!!  

@LauraJS - I'm certainly no expert, but I do believe that if it's fermented sugar it's ok, because the sugar has effectively 'evaporated'?  What's the sugar level on the list of ingredients (I think if it's fermented, it should be very low??)  What brand is it, I'd love to know!!

I much prefer to buy locally, of course, and I have found an online seller who has Red Boat Fish Sauce and Coconut Secret coconut aminos at http://www.rachaelsorganics.com/ , and http://au.iherb.com/ also has the coconut aminos, plus heaps of other great products, with minimal shipping to Aus.

@lesley2014, if you find one, please let us know what brand and where - I did find one at Woolies, only to get home and realise that the preservative is a sulfite!!  

@LauraJS - I'm certainly no expert, but I do believe that if it's fermented sugar it's ok, because the sugar has effectively 'evaporated'?  What's the sugar level on the list of ingredients (I think if it's fermented, it should be very low??)  What brand is it, I'd love to know!!

I much prefer to buy locally, of course, and I have found an online seller who has Red Boat Fish Sauce and Coconut Secret coconut aminos at http://www.rachaelsorganics.com/ , and http://au.iherb.com/ also has the coconut aminos, plus heaps of other great products, with minimal shipping to Aus.

Hi Alison

I use Banaban coconut aminos.  the sugar content is 0 :)  it is a little pricey but I love it it and think its worth it.  I bought it from Flannerys in Brisbane

Hi all,

I'm in Brisbane too and I started today (10 Feb). So far, so good. Probably went a bit far with protein so more salad coming my way this week.

I got coconut aminos from the Paleo Cafe in the city, in Market Street.

Charlie's Fruit at Everton Park has lots of coconut products but not aminos.

Also, I beleive Pandaroo fish sauce is compliant. I have nearly run out and cannot find it in my local Woolies although it is on their online store...

Hi Austgirl82

Welcome and good luck with your whole 30 journey!

Thank you for the info on products and where to buy them. It really is so hard to find compliant condiments in stores.

I have found myself going back to the basics alot to save time on shopping. Lemons and lots and lots of black pepper have been doing the trick for me.

Best of luck

Ange

Hi!

I started on Feb 10 - so today is Day 4 for me.  So far so good.  I have been battling a cold, so my energy levels are low to start with and it's hard to tell what symptoms belong to the Whole30.  I am super excited about this program.

I am from Melbourne and it's great to see some Aussies have found this too.

Hello everyone :) it is great to see so many Aussies on here. Seems like the real food revolution is beginning!

It's a wrap for me! I finished the Whole30 3 days ago. I've already told you about the changes I could physically see. One to add - all the mosquitoes on my hike went straight for my hiking buddy and left me alone hah! Apparently they can sense blood sugar. Now the measurements.. I lost 1.2 kg - not huge, but I felt like I was eating my face off during the program as a result of having to focus so much on food, so I'm not that surprised. HOWEVER - my cholesterol dropped from 6.4 to 4.8!!!  Pretty amazed by that. Also stoked because I have a friend who is on cholesterol-lowering meds and maybe this experiment will help him.

I am still a few kg above where I want to be so I think I'm going to jump right back on the horse.. after I finish my pot of natural yoghurt :). By the way, the bread I was looking forward to tasted like cardboard. I've just had an appt with my workplace's health consultant, who is a big fan of paleo and suggests I try the intermittent fasting, and stepping up the exercise. No quick fixes I suppose. Oh to be a raging 17 year old again.

One of the biggest things for me is being able to say I am in control of what I eat and so long sugar dragon.

Hope you are all doing well!

Yes congrats Paddlepop! :D

Oh and about the intermittent fasting. There is a book called the fast diet. My parents have been doing this for nearly a year now after being on Paleo for quite some time.

They are both at a very healthy weight and their immune system has improved dramaticly  They just look so much healthier. It is supposed to great for so many health issues and is not at all hard to stick to.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do and it was great hearing about your journey.

I am on day 10 and have felt ok until today. My stomach has started bloating again and feel so full I could bust even though I ate a normal size meal of chicken thighs, avo and roasted veges. Not sure what is going on today, has anyone experienced this?

Good on you Jkord5. Your almost there!

I am on day 17 today and I have been feeling much more upbeat and full of energy. Physically I have noticed my skin is looking better and my eyes seem to have come alive again and there is a marked improvement in my fitness, but as far as my clothing being loose, no such joy yet.

I hope you are feeling the benefits you were hoping for.

Have you considered what you will do after you complete the challenge? Will you be sticking to Paleo.

Ange

HI Ange,

I've just been talking about that with my husband and right now I don't see why I would change too much from what I'm eating now. I am Gluten Intolerant anyway but the big mistake I was making was trying to eat GF varieties of bread and pasta and cakes etc when really I should have just accepted they were no longer part of my diet and left them alone. The past 20 days have shown me that I don't miss them and I don't need them. A glass of wine on the other hand.......

Good for you Ange - Day 17 - you're over the half way mark  and feeling great

Thanks for the congratulations jkord5 and Ange. One of the best things about this community is the level of care and support, it's just so lovely.

Ange I've seen the fast diet thing and will have to look into it a bit more. I'm starting another Whole30 tomorrow, maybe going a little less crazy on fruit and nuts and thinking more about meal timing. I noticed as soon as my Whole30 finished that it was too easy to suddenly abandon all of the effort I'd been putting into food preparation. I've just been in Perth visiting my twin and pretty much living in cafes, but now I'm back in the Whole30 mindset the vegie prep is suddenly a 'must get done' not a 'should do but would rather have nap'.

I hope the last 10 days is a good run downhill for you!

Hi Aussies!

How are you doing with your Whole30s? You must be near the finish line now? 

I'm on day 2 of Round 2, being especially careful to avoid fruit and snacks between meals. It's a lot easier this time coz I know I can do it so, no nonsense doubt. And I just won over my housemates by cooking them dinner. I might try a fast now and again, though still reading up on that. 

During Round 1 I also think I gave myself a free pass from exercising as much as normal coz I felt so virtuous about eating so well. So I'll try to keep the effort up this time. 

Hope you are doing super well and are feeling that mysterious Tiger Blood! I just feel a sore back from too much yoga ;)

Archived