Any other Australians?

LauraJS

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 26 for me today and still feeling good. Although I feel a little intimidated of the whole30 coming to an end. althought I know it doesnt have to just stop at day 30.

But I do have a big saturday planned and I know Im going to have a couple of vodka sodas, probably not what I should have after a total of 34 days without alcohol but I wont go nuts and I'm going to still to whole 30 foods apart from the alcohol.  Ive worked so hard and have lots of work ahead of me to get my body to the goal body I have in mind so I dont want to sabotage myself but itll be nice to be out and about and social and i do love my vodka sodas!

I am heading to America on April 13 where I wont be sticking to a whole 30 diet as I want to try different foods while I am away.  Although I am going to try keep my breakfasts compliant, I wont be too picky when I eat out I'm just going to enjoy myself but of course If i happen to spot menu options that would work within whole30 terms then of course I'd order that!

But basically up until April 13 I am focusing hard on my 'diet' and gym.  I also think that the more results I see, the less i'm going to want to 'throw away' my hard work.  I just dont ever want to go back to my sugar binging days where I could buy a family block of chocolate and demolish more than half in front of the tv.  Mind you ive never been overweight but I know how that kinda eating would make me feel and I have suffered from IBS symptoms for a good 10 years so considering ive had very limited symptoms on the whole30 i think this kinda eating is fabulous for me but I know there will always be situations where we cant stick to it 100% which they do mention in the book.

Anyways I seem to just be rambling on now and dont expect anyone to read all this haha but just felt like getting out what is on my mind today!

Its been so great to talk to other Aussies on this journey, I'm loving all the success stories!

:)

Day 30 today, 9kg down ( plenty to go still), which is unbelievable as i never lose weight on low calorie diets skin has cleared as has some arthritis and stiffness in my knee, which is unexpected. Have loved this diet and eating real food, planning to stay with it more or less, hadn't realized that dairy was such a problem until I eliminated it. Feel like I learned lots on how to eat. Grains, sugars do not tempt me at all. Everyone says I have a glow, and I'm feeling really good with lots of energy.

wow, i did it! Today is day 30.

so damn proud and so happy to have changed the way I look at food.  Its a fuel for my body and no longer something I rely on to make me happier!

Sticking to this sort of life style as much as I possibly can.

GO Aussie team!

xo

Well done Aussies! It's great reading about everyone's progress.. I'm in Melbourne... About to kick off on Monday 3rd (after a couple of false starts!!) I'm hoping getting active on the forum is going to be the missing link to help me get through.

Renee

I haven't read through this whole thread yet, yay, so many Aussies! :D (and Kiwis)

It would be awesome if this thread was moved out of Introductions into another section, or maybe start a new group Aussie thread.

For those who haven't seen it, 8 ages of posts about finding food in Aussie land here - note it's not all Whole30 compliant:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/5432-sourcing-food-in-australia/

Jeluca - including where to find coconut aminos in Melbourne! :D I'm in Melbourne too.

My whole 30 wrap up

PALEO 30 DAY CHALLENGE

My Personal Journey

About Me

I started my 30 day Challenge on the 1st February 2014 and successfully completed the challenge on the 2nd February 2014. It is now day 31 and this is my story.

I am 48 years of age and was suffering from many types of perimenopausal symptoms. I was working in hospitality doing shift work prior to starting the 30 day challenge which only made my symptoms worse through lack of sleep, bad eating habits and zero work life balance.

I decided to give up my hospitality work when my health hit rock bottom in November 2013. I had been put on blood pressure medication for extremely high blood pressure, antidepressants for anxiety and sleeping tablets as I was not able to sleep doing shift work. I also consumed a lot of caffeine to get me moving and to keep myself awake during my late/night early morning shifts so I was on a very vicious cycle.

I saw this challenge on a friend's Facebook page in January this year, did some reading about Paleo and the Whole 30 challenge and thought it may be just what I needed.

Changes I was hoping for at the start of the 30 Challenge

My biggest hope was that I would be able to increase my energy levels, sleep soundly without medication, stabilize my mood and loose excess weight that had crept up on me over the last 3 or so years.

Whole 30

My first few days were very testing. Headaches, foggy brain and all I wanted to do was curl up in bed. I wondered what I had got myself into.

Every day since those beginning days have been positive. By week two I noticed a great improvement in my energy levels and mood and my sleeping was really coming along well. I had a smile back on my face and life back in my eyes.

The last couple of weeks were amazing. My motivation was exceptional. I was setting goals and archiving them. Planning my days and time positively, something I was unable to do prior to the Whole 30 challenge. My body has also decided to start showing positive physical changes. My skin is glowing, my weight is starting to decline and my eyes are alive again.

Benefits of completing the Whole 30 Challenge

Confidence    

Something I had been lacking for quite some time, second guessing myself constantly is now a thing of the past. I am loving the new confident me. It feels amazing!

Moods

Now stable.....yipee! I am so aware of how I am feeling now. I no longer look for comfort food or wine to make me feel more relaxed after a hard day. I am also off my antidepressants and feeling wonderful.

Sleep

I am now sleeping through the night soundly, unassisted by medication for on average 8 hours a night (unless the neighbors are having a party lol).

Energy            

What can I say but it is through the roof. I haven't felt this good for years and I no longer feel like a Nanna nap mid afternoon anymore. I am achieving all the things I have put off for years because the thought of doing them seemed so overwhelming.

Weight Loss   

I lost a total of 5.2 kilograms or 11 pounds 7 ounces over the 30 days and 19.5cm or 7.7 inches in total.

Muscle tone   My body mass index dropped from 24.3% to 22.1% over the 30 days and this was achieved by sticking strictly to the Whole 30 program and walking most days and also doing some yoga and pilates classes.

To conclude

I have had a fantastic time doing the Whole 30 Challenge. It has taught me so much about food choices and the effects it has on our bodies physically and emotionally. I have enjoyed the benefits I have received so much that I will be sticking to the Paleo way of life as much as I possibly can. I can't wait to see how much more improvement I will see over the coming months and or hopefully years ahead.

I feel like this is a whole new chapter in my life. I'm so excited and looking forward to my future with enthusiasm and passion! :)

I feel like I'm jumping in on the end of this thread as people are finishing their Whole30! I am in Melbourne and about to start my second Whole30. The last one finished in mid February and I although I enjoyed it thouroughly and have continued a paleo lifestyle for the most part, I am struggling with a lifelong chocolate addiction!

I have two kids, aged 2 and 5, so I have plenty of off-plan food to contend with on a daily basis. This is totally fine until I make them a treat (like yesterday I made them GF choc chip cookies as an after school treat and then proceeded to eat half of them!). So I am about to embark on another Whole30, this time without fruit as my "sugar crutch", as I definitely feel like I over-ate sugar on the last one and didn't achieve anything in terms of reducing my sugar cravings. Am also about to start a new job and start the new uni trimester (I am two thirds of the way through a masters degree) in the next few days so this should be interesting. I'm approaching this from the perspective that despite the planning and amount of time spent in the kitchen, the program should boost my energy and motivational level and help me pack more into each day!

Starting on Saturday 8th March. Is anyone else in Aus just getting started?

Ps. I get my coconut aminos from the new healthfood shop at Highpoint, next to Bakers Delight in the new section.

Hi Kristco,

Welcome. You seem to be in the same boat as me. I've just started post-grad study while also working full-time. I finished my first Whole30 halfway through Feb. Immediately I thought YIPPEE I have beaten the chocolate dragon! Unfortunately, am now struggling again. I started a second Whole30 but got the flu and dropped it. I'm now house-sitting for 6 weeks which gives me the chance to break free from my lovely housemates, who are always leaving lovely treats around.. so I'm in with you from Saturday.

Ange, Laura, jkord5, so great to read about your triumphs! Well done you!

Hi. I am in Sydney, and I am on day six. Was feeling very tired at first, but now sort of coming out of it. I don't really know what I am doing. Looking for lots of advice, help, and encouragement.

Good on you for starting!!  Be sure to always refer back to this timeline during your whole 30.  http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

I found it so good especially on the days when I was tired or grumpy or craving!  It's nice to be reassured that what you're feeling is normal.

Try and plan out your days meals in advance that way you dont slip up or get caught off guard.  And also post on this forum as much as possible to keep you on track!  I just started my post whole30 log and its keeping me accountable for my food choices in my 'life after whole30'

Also be sure to have your goals written down and in a place where you can see them daily to encourage yourself!  As time goes buy you'll feel more and more amazing.  

Best of luck!!

Hi Guys,

I'm starting my first ever Whole30 on Monday 10th.

Very excited but also a little nervous - willpower has not been my strongest suit in the past!

My partner definitely needs to jump start his health and has committed to joining me when he gets back from overseas so hopefully that and my own positive changes will help me keep with it.

Am clearing out the pantry and hitting the Sth Melb market tomorrow with my shopping list and meal plan :)

Thanks praxisproject!!

I was a bit concerned about finding some pantry items that were allowed but so far so good.

Who knew Fish Sauce has so much stuff that isnt fish in it?!!

I'm just finishing Day 5 today and so far so good - sleeping GREAT though have been lacking energy the last couple of days, moods and hunger seem pretty good too which is nice.

How is everyone doing with their challenge?

Im having my first meal out tomorrow morning - breakfast with friends at Axel, looking forward to it.

Has anyone found a compliant Almond Milk around Melbourne?

Glory - I've found some pure fish sauce in asian grocers for the hefty price of <$2 lol shop around (I do wanna try the Red Boat stuff some time, see if tastes any different).

Make your own almond milk, all the preserved ones here in Aussieland are contaminated with nasties.

Great recipe for making your own here at Detoxinista:

http://detoxinista.com/2010/11/dont-wait-another-minute/

If you don't want to soak your nuts, hazelnuts and brazil nuts don't need soaking (don't go too crazy on brazils - they're high in selenium).

Habib Wholefoods on Flinders Street has little portable coconut milks in little containers, expensive, but handy for taking to cafes, etc.

Brand is Isola Bio read the label, they also make lots of rice milks.

How was Axel?

Archived