Any other Australians?

LauraJS

My husband and I have plunged in head first today with day 1 as I feel like every day we wait is another day until we're done! My primary goal is to help him get to the bottom of his gastric reflux (as well as change a few old habits).

Has anyone got some portable lunch/snack ideas that he can take in the car in case of emergency as this is where he feels that he will most come unstuck. Or even a list of go to snacks as a reference to carry with him? Collating these from the information online is daunting ....

Thanks!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooohhh...will check out the recipe!

I found compliant fish sauce on my third asian grocer visit - i really dont think ive ever looked at so many labels but man are condiments full of crap!

Axel was delicious!! A friend and I both just ordered sides (she's cutting out gluten and didnt want the bread) so breakfast was a poached egg, pulled ham hock, mushrooms and spinach.

Also had their filtered coffee black which was quite good. I dont think I could do espresso without milk but im not a coffee addict so im going okay.

I think its probably the easiest meal to have out without too many concerns :)

For the car:

• tins or pouches of tuna - read the labels!
  • nuts
  • tinned veggies (green beans, that sort of thing)

For those regular in-car meal hunters, there's some lifestyle upgrades to achieve here too, car food is generally not healthy :)

It takes time to create new habits though, so fallback items are essential. A cooler or esky is handy if you can have one, giving you lots of fresh options.

It's all hard at the start, but it gets much easier :)

Pre=prepared hard boiled eggs are my lifesaver!!

Today is a great example - rostered on to start at 11, planning a leisurely breakfast at the market and a spot of shopping before heading in.

Get a phone call at 6.45 to say I need to start at 7.30, someone is sick. I need to walk my dog, iron my uniform, shower and drive the 30 mins to work :D

Hard boiled eggs to the rescue!!! - grabbed three of them, a tub of cooked vegies  and a frozen container of leftover chicken curry and left in a hurry.

So ended up with a yummy breakfast on the fly and made it through my 12hrs.

• 1 month later...

Good luck :) If you want to eat out, you can get a lovely Whole30 meal at Palate restaurant (only thing to watch out for is butter).

[edit: also avoid the new "coconut latte" - the coconut milk they use is full of grains and crap]

Hello fellow Aussies :) I started on May 1st and am on Day 6! So far so good, I wasn't well yesterday, and had some comfort food cravings, but made it through with some yummy ginger tea. Hope you are all going well!

• 2 weeks later...

Morning everyone - I am in Perth and starting my Whole 30 tomorrow. I have been preparing myself and armed with lots of recipes which I have been cooking and freezing  for all those emergency moments when I am just too tired after work and don't want to cook. 

I have found Tom Denahm's receipes the best and easiest so far http://www.wholelifeeating.com/recipe-index/.  I can HIGHLY recommend the slow cooker butter chicken - was so good I have eaten for the past couple of days.  I had lots of the sauce in the recipe so I froze some of to add meat to at a later date. 

Looking forward to sharing recipes, trials and tribulations from you all.  Hope everyone going well and stick with it.

Archived