28th January Start Date

jkord5

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So how'd yesterday go for you guys?  Things went great here, still feeling good today too!  I was mostly compliant on the days before my official start date, other than a couple small items with sulfites that I didn't notice at first, so I'm not sure if that's making a difference in how I feel.  Definitely no hangover feelings here anyways.  Feeling good!

So with the time difference here in Australia I'm now starting Day 3 as I write this - it's 5.15am and I'm about to head out for run so clearly I'm not having the "hangover" symptoms either - yah!  I've been spending a lot of time in the kitchen so this weekend I want to do more prep so that that doesn't happen next week. I've been feeling quite full on what I've been eating but the past 2 mornings I've woken up hungry - I need to re read and see if that's a good or bad thing - anyone remember??

Have a great day guys - my little girl starts school for the first time today (gulp)

:(I started on January 28 as well!  I was so excited to see that there was a forum topic for the starters for that date.  I felt horrible yesterday, and continue to feel awful today.  Fatigue, brain fog, nausea, irritability.  Had to push myself through work.  Going to bed early.  Despite this, I have not strayed from the program!

Just can't do the whole dinner tonight--I'm having some cauliflower soup (homemade, two ingredients: cauliflower and organic chix broth) and macademia nuts, and that just barely.  Has anyone else had bad nausea at first? Has anyone noticed that things taste weird in the first few days?

Not me drmoria, but I was already gluten free for years and had cut WAY down on sugar and dairy 2 weeks ago, so I don't think the first few days were as bad for me.  Hang in there...the timeline thing shows this to be a fairly normal start...

Not me either - sorry drmoira - like ktsimons I'm GF and have been for over a year so maybe that's why I've been feeling pretty good. I've had a mild headache each day but then I had them most mornings over my Christmas/ Summer holidays but for different reasons!! (LoL!!) 

I'm with you on the easy day today _ i think I'm going to have sashimi tonight

I hope you have a better day

I'm at the end of my Day 3 but have just got my Whole30 Daily for Day 3 and it does talk about the tiredness and hunger we may be feeling. I have to say drmoira that as today wore on I was very tired and after lunch I could still have eaten a horse (Would that have been Whole30 compliant? ;))   I did snack on a couple of grapes, a piece of pineapple and some roasted sweet potato to get me through but maybe if I'd gotten the daily email at the start of the day I would have been forewarned and might have soldiered on - it's no biggie because I could just as easily check the Timeline.

Anyhoo..... I'm having an early night and hope you have a great day.

Thanks everyone for the support! I was asleep by 6:30 last night, then up for a while, but overall got a restful sleep.  Still feeling tired today but no nausea and I feel a bit more energy and less brain fog.  And I was hungry!  Bacon, eggs, and spinach for breakfast!

I'm not totally new to this, either.  I had been gluten free for a couple of years, but fell off the wagon in a big way this past Christmas and have had a hard time getting back on it.  I felt like drastic action was needed.  So here I am.  Hoping for improvement in allergies and digestive issues, and energy is always a hope.

Have a great Whole30 day, everybody!.

Still doing well here!  I'm not finding the food to be difficult to stick with, it's actually fairly easy.  It seems as though I'm more following the stages of my original start date.  If I go by when I originally started, then I'd be on Day 7 and the EXTREME tiredness I'm feeling would be right in line.  But because of sulfites and some honey I had, technically I'm on Day 3.  Either way it doesn't really make a difference, I'm planning to try to stick with the plan for longer than the 30 days anyways.  My doc diagnosed me with the catch-all diagnosis of Fibromyalgia, and I'm tired of feeling like garbage so I have no desire to go back to my old ways!  

So what's everyone been eating for meals?  I'm loving having an egg skillet for breakfast with 3 eggs, couple cups of spinach, mushrooms and onions, and a banana with some almond butter on it.  Lunch has been a salad and protein with some almonds.  Supper last night was chocolate chill from Well Fed along with a big bowl of steamed mix veggies.  I have to say, I've been feeling pretty satisfied!  And I highly recommend the chocolate chill recipe!! SOOO GOOD!  It's also posted for free on her website if you don't have the book.  www.theclothesmakethegirl.com

I will have to try the chocolate chili...I have made something different every day. I am trying to cut out the eggs - I have a suspicion that I am sensitive to the whites so I had to come up with a breakfast alternative.  I made killer ground turkey breakfast sausage (sure wish I remembered what I did!) that I sautéed with onions, sweet potatoes, bell pepper then threw in a leftover container of collard greens w/bacon! Wow that is good for breakfast!  lunches have been a mish mash of leftover dinners with added veggies. 

My favorite meal so far is a Nom Nom Paleo lettuce wrap...here's the link.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1710952680/asian-ground-beef-mushroom-and-broccoli-slaw-lettuce

I followed the recipe to the letter and added a small amount of chili flakes then put it all on plain smashed cauliflour...it was surprisingly good!  Also, a crock pot of paleo chicken cacciatore was a great addition to the leftover buckets...

So far so good...low grade headache that could be because of the horribly cold weather here...normal winter temps are around 30 - 40, today it was 1 when I got up...52 days till spring!  ha ha!

I'm at the end of my Day 3 but have just got my Whole30 Daily for Day 3 and it does talk about the tiredness and hunger we may be feeling. I have to say drmoira that as today wore on I was very tired and after lunch I could still have eaten a horse (Would that have been Whole30 compliant? ;))   I did snack on a couple of grapes, a piece of pineapple and some roasted sweet potato to get me through but maybe if I'd gotten the daily email at the start of the day I would have been forewarned and might have soldiered on - it's no biggie because I could just as easily check the Timeline.

Anyhoo..... I'm having an early night and hope you have a great day.

If you are hungry you should eat a mini meal with protein and fat. Fruit should be kept to meal times not for snacks. If you are hungry enough to eat a horse than you perhaps are not eating enough. Can you post what your food log has looked like so far?

Hi Everybody,

Today was a little bit easier.  Felt good this morning, but like you, jkord, the fatigue hit me this afternoon.  My stomach's not super happy, either.  I see these things as good reasons to keep on keepin' on because I have obviously done some damage.

Sahmaffour, I have been eating pretty simply.  I just went to Whole Foods and stocked up on grass-fed beef:  steaks, ground, short ribs.  Also a bunch of fresh veggies.  I like to cook vegetables in ghee.  I bought some curry paste to make the curries that are in the book.  Tonight, ribeye steak, sweet potato, salad. 

I can't say enough about how good Nom Nom Paleo is.  She is a genius, seriously!  She lets you know whether the recipe is Whole30 compliant.  From what I read on her site recently, her sister started Whole30 2 weeks ago, and she has been posting Whole30-compliant recipes every day!  Her meat recipes are awesome!  Also, PaleOMG is a good site for ideas.

Hope you guys had a good day.  I was looking forward to seeing how y'all did!

I do think I'm spending waaaay to much time in the kitchen - so yesterday was pretty much a protein and a salad for meal 2 + 3 as I just couldn't face cooking anything to complicated.

I've woken feeling really good this morning - no headache (Hurrah) and I'm off out for a run. Physibeth - when I get back I'll pst some of food log.

Feel good or at least better everyone

Hi Gang,

I am carrying you guys around with me!  In my head! It's helpful!  And I still don't feel great!  But I am seriously not a whiner (or whinger for any Brits that might read this).  The not-feeling-good is an indication of how great I'm going to feel when the upswing starts.  My body is healing.

jkord, I saw you are from Australia (and I also saw that there is an Aussie forum group).  I'm curious about where other people are from.  If that's too nosy, just ignore.  I am in North Carolina, USA.

Brought my own olive oil vinaigrette to lunch with colleagues today, and no one blinked an eye (or cared, for that matter).  We go to a place that has a good salad bar, but I bet the dressings are seed-oil based.  Man, the things we have to think about on this Whole30 thing!

Be well, everyone!  In this hemisphere, day 4 is about to wrap up--successfully!

drmoira

http://primalpantry.com.au/recipes/cauliflower-fried-rice/  - Hmmm I though i could just cut and paste that link but maybe not. Anyway it's a wonderful recipe, so tasty that my husband takes it to work for lunch.

If you are hungry you should eat a mini meal with protein and fat. Fruit should be kept to meal times not for snacks. If you are hungry enough to eat a horse than you perhaps are not eating enough. Can you post what your food log has looked like so far?

On the day I was super hungry I had 2 eggs scrambled with spinach and tomato, chicken salad with roasted tomatoes, mango and spinach and rocket drizzled with the avocado dressing recipe for ISWF and for Meal 3 I rolled up salmon sashimi with avocado into lettuce wraps and had few cashews and brazil nuts. I was hungry most of the day but that said it's been the only day I've felt real hunger. 

I actually haven't had any cravings - even last night (Friday) I didn't miss my wine because I knew it just wasn't on offer for me - I felt quite virtuous but maybe next Friday night will be  a different story.

drmoira - you have a good Scottish name there - I'm originally from Scotland

http://primalpantry.com.au/recipes/cauliflower-fried-rice/  - Hmmm I though i could just cut and paste that link but maybe not. Anyway it's a wonderful recipe, so tasty that my husband takes it to work for lunch.

On the day I was super hungry I had 2 eggs scrambled with spinach and tomato, chicken salad with roasted tomatoes, mango and spinach and rocket drizzled with the avocado dressing recipe for ISWF and for Meal 3 I rolled up salmon sashimi with avocado into lettuce wraps and had few cashews and brazil nuts. I was hungry most of the day but that said it's been the only day I've felt real hunger. 

I actually haven't had any cravings - even last night (Friday) I didn't miss my wine because I knew it just wasn't on offer for me - I felt quite virtuous but maybe next Friday night will be  a different story.

drmoira - you have a good Scottish name there - I'm originally from Scotland

The recipe link works fine. Just a note to make sure you use a fish sauce that doesn't have sugar (like Red Boat).

The day you were super hungry had a really small first meal so that would explain the hunger. Hard to tell how large your other meals were. When eggs are your only protein source in a meal you want to eat as many whole ones as you can hold in your hand. For most adults that is usually at least 3. Make sure you have an added fat at every meal as well.

Things are going well here!

DrMoira… I'm from AB, Canada. :)

Went grocery shopping today, couldn't find fish sauce with no added sugar so had to skip that.  Couldn't find any balsamic that didn't have sulphites so had to skip that too.  It's frustrating and eye opening once you have to start reading labels!  I got a ton of veggies though so hopefully I don't have to go back for a little while anyways!  About to start frying up a steak, and am making some homemade mayo right now to turn into an italian dressing for a side salad. :)

Feeling bloated today, which is still right along the guidelines with my original start date before I screwed up and restarted, so my little mess up might not have affected it very much.  Excited to get to the part where I have Tiger Blood! Today is Day 4 post screwup, but Day 8 pre-screwup.

It is so tricky with all the added sugar - I tend to keep adding extra coconut aminos for flavour.  I'm starting to get a little over eggs so I may have to ramp up my recipe selections - my idea to eat leftovers for breakfast hasn't quite worked out as everyone in the family is loving the meals and devouring them.

Archived