28th January Start Date

jkord5

Things are going well here!

DrMoira… I'm from AB, Canada. :)

Went grocery shopping today, couldn't find fish sauce with no added sugar so had to skip that.  Couldn't find any balsamic that didn't have sulphites so had to skip that too.  It's frustrating and eye opening once you have to start reading labels!  I got a ton of veggies though so hopefully I don't have to go back for a little while anyways!  About to start frying up a steak, and am making some homemade mayo right now to turn into an italian dressing for a side salad. :)

Feeling bloated today, which is still right along the guidelines with my original start date before I screwed up and restarted, so my little mess up might not have affected it very much.  Excited to get to the part where I have Tiger Blood! Today is Day 4 post screwup, but Day 8 pre-screwup.

When looking for compliant balsamic, look in the ingredients list. If sulphites are in the ingredients list, it's a no no. If somewhere else on the label it says "contains naturally occurring sulphites," it's fine.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When looking for compliant balsamic, look in the ingredients list. If sulphites are in the ingredients list, it's a no no. If somewhere else on the label it says "contains naturally occurring sulphites," it's fine.

Thanks for the advice, but every bottle had sulphites in the ingredient list.  I'll have to go to a larger store in the city and hopefully they'll have more options there. 

It's pain with the labels - I have this great organic worcester sauce that I'd though I'd use to replace fish sauce but it has organic molasses.

It's the start of Day 6 and I've been sleeping really well but still waiting for that energy kick

Oh I cooked up some scrummy asian chicken cakes yesterday from the 'Eat, Drink, Paleo Cookbook' 

400g chicken mince, 1 egg, red chilli to taste, 1 garlic clove, 1tbsp fresh coriander diced, 1/2 tbsp thai basil diced,  3 tbsp green onions (i used shallots), grated ginger to taste, fish sauce ( I used coconut aminos) 1/2 tsp sesame oil, zest of 1/2/ lime, 1tbsp lime juice. Just mix everything together using your hands, roll into small balls and flatten. Cook for 5 minutes each side. serve with cucumbers and a green salad and asian style vinagrette.

The only reason I actually have any of them left is that i made beef burgers too and diverted attention away from them ha!

Taking on what Physibeth said about perhaps not having enough protein in Meal 1  leading to hunger I thought I'd try and make breakfast my biggest meal today. 

Good morning--in this hemisphere!  Feeling human for the first time in days!  Not nearly as fatigued or foggy as I have been.  I also noticed that my body looks leaner which is very motivating!

Yesterday was pretty awful.  I spent the entire day resting and trying not to feel guilty about it.  Glad I did.  I think it paid off.  I was feeling discouraged and then I realized, what I'm doing now is an investment in my future productivity.  Looking at it like that was helpful.

Hope you guys are doing well, also.  jkord, thanks for the chicken cakes recipe.  Looks really good, will have to try it.

Bye for now!

Good morning!  I've spent the weekend resting too, feeling exhausted but not sure if that's due to the W30 or my 5 yr old waking me up at 5 am. :)

I'm still hanging in there though!  This is the first program I've ever tried to tackle that actually makes sense to me, and seems to be a way I can actually picture sticking with long term.  Every time I start feeling cravings or doubting myself, I just think about the fact that if I can just stick with this, I can actually be healthy for once.  Haven't been for a few years now, with the fibromyalgia diagnosis, but I've been noticing my joints/muscles aren't so achy, especially first thing in the morning like usual. My body still seems to be following right on track with my first start date when I compare how I feel with the W30 Timeline.  My pants seem to be tighter the past two days, and if I go by my first start date, it would put me at day 10 today.  Here's hoping the extra energy boost is just around the corner!

Hang in there everyone!

THE CRAVINGS HAVE HIT!  OMG!  I was gloating to myself yesterday that wow, I haven't been having cravings.  Well the joke's on me.  I am not letting myself eat a Larabar because I AM NOT HUNGRY.  I'm clear on that!  I made curry for lunch with the curry paste, ground beef, onion, green pepper, carrots and cauliflower, with fresh avocado cut up on top.  It was very good and very filling!  However, it was not chocolate.  And my hot flashes are off the chain.  Probably related.  I'm powering through.  No more gloating!

It sounds like we are all on track with the timeline!!  I think my husband will be glad when I get over the next few days because I'm easily annoyed right now!!

Still energy slumps in the afternoon but not taking anything to help me get over them - positive thinking.

drmoira - i too was pretty smug and then on Sunday I really felt I was missing some of my favs - not craving exactly but definitely missing them. I got through it as we all will guys.

Hello! 

My husband and I started on the 27th, so I thought I'd jump onto this thread. I've been eating about 80% paleo for a while but this is totally new to my husband.

We're on Day 8 right now and it hasn't been too bad, but I'm surprised that I'm struggling a bit! My biggest issue is that normally, i LOVE food - a lot. I look forward to eating and enjoying healthy food, but for some reason, I am so un-excited about eating. I'm sick of everything. My husband is also feeling depressed about what his choices are. I'm a really good cook and I have delicious food sitting in the fridge that I've prepared - a lot of it from Well Fed. I just don't feel hungry and it worries me. 

I thought that I'd be feeling so great about this so it's surprsing me. Are any of you having similar experiences?

Thanks for letting me hop on this thread, and I'd love to hear about your experiences. 

Welcome aboard, OceanRyder!  I have felt what I would call "food fatigue" where I occasionally feel hungry but not excited about any food in particular, and only occasionally feeling really hungry.  I was thinking about it this morning.  I thought it might be because I was eating too much beef.  But nothing excites me too much right now.  Maybe a function of our stomachs healing?

yay, started January 28th and happy to come across others too so i don't feel so "lonely".  This is my third round and I have ALWAYS had a bad day three and four.  Not sure why but glad they are done, was awesome during Super Bowl party and looking forward to the rest of the week.  Keep going everyone. It is worth it...

Hi all!  how did you do on your first weekend??  I did GREAT with food, but I didn't make it to the gym...one thing at a time, I guess.  February starts the "at least 5 workouts per week" thing so I can't make any excuses for the rest of the week...

Went to a Super Bowl party last night and stayed compliant!  I made OMGPaleo's Almost 5 ingredient Pizza...spagetti squash with homemade italian sausage, pizza sauce & eggs to bind...it was awesome!  Also made compliant chicken salad and cut thick cucumber slices, hollowed out the seed part then put a little ball of the salad on with a little slice of cherry tomato on top...YUMMY...they were really cute and the only dish on the table that was completely GONE! 

A new issue...how in the world do you not get on the scale??  LOL...my jeans are getting a little roomy and I am dying to see what I have lost!

Take care, my friends!!

Well done to everyone who survived the Superbowl parties - I don't watch it but I know it would be a big of indulgences for most. I heard on the radio that some "expert" or someone in America had people not go overboard on take away food, especially pizza, on the big day!

A new issue...how in the world do you not get on the scale??  LOL...my jeans are getting a little roomy and I am dying to see what I have lost!

Take care, my friends!!

That's an issue I haven't felt yet but my goal wasn't really to lose weight, it was more the bloat - and I do think i'm on the right path with  that.

Sorry OceanRyder I don't have that feeling yet although i am over doing so much cooking - my lunches used to exist of green smoothies!

Have a great day everyone

Day 1 of week two!  My pants felt tight yesterday--but that could be because I am overweight right now.  Break out the loose clothes!  My specific goal was not to lose weight (although I would like that).  I am trying to deal with IBS, allergies, and joint pain.  I'm perimenopausal and dealing with hormonal ups and downs.  I became sensitive to a lot of foods when the perimenopause started, including wheat and coffee. :(  Really, no coffee?  But I had started to drink more coffee and eat more wheat and was feeling like crap.  I have to say I am feeling better.  Interested to see how good it can get.

Have a great day, everybody!

I became sensitive to a lot of foods when the perimenopause started, including wheat and coffee. :(  Really, no coffee? 

Have a great day, everybody!

You DID?  I wonder if that was the change that has caused me to be sensitive to all sorts of new stuff!  Just out of the blue, things I have eaten forever cause stomache upset or horrible bloat...Almonds, for one...I think i would really loose it if Coffee was off the list...

ktsimons, that is exactly what happened, and it wasn't until I worked with a nutrition coach that I figured it out.  The coffee has been a major bummer!  If I have one cup per week, or sometimes two, then I'm okay.  But I started back with some coffee around Christmas, and some cookies, etc. and ended up in a bad place.  Coffee, cookies and cake are my major weaknesses.

Are you guys ready for some weirdness?  Even though I am perimenopausal I am still taking birth control pills.  Still having periods.  Well tonight I started my period out of the blue, in the middle of the last week of my pill pack!  It's okay with me, I'll just stop the pills now.  It made me think, though, about the powerful hormonal changes that this diet causes--that has never happened before!  I thought I would give you guys a heads up about that.

Otherwise, it's pretty uneventful.  I was feeling bloated yesterday, and I understand why now!  Just had a big steak (guess this explains my beef binge also) and a sweet potato and am going to bed early.  Good night everybody!  Day 8's in the bag!

My day 9 is just about to go to bed. I've got pains in my abs and bloating and I'm not sure if they came from an over zealous physio who was stretching me out and pushing and prodding or if it's something I've eaten or if it's weirdness a little similar to drmoira.  I was quite flat yesterday but more energetic today even with the pains.

Well I guess I should try and work myself up into super happy thoughts as I'm ( and you are too) heading into the danger days where most people quit the programme. Funny, despite the pains etc I really don't feel like quitting!! :)

Don't be too worried about the danger days, I didn't notice anything, as I'm technically on Day 9, but have been eating this way for 13 days now, I just had some non-compliant lemon juice and almond milk that caused a re-start.  My symptoms have been consistent with the timeline for my first start date though, and I never really felt like quitting at all.  I have more energy now, but haven't started having the food dreams yet.  Hopefully those stay away!

Keep on keeping' on!

Hi,

Started on the 28th too and it's actually going pretty well. Feeling quite good, sleeping soundly, no cravings and generally pretty upbeat. Just a bit constipated the last couple of days but it feels as a temporary phase.

However, now on day 10 I just discovered I had balsamic vinegar with sulfites on my salad...😳 Truly didn't know that was a non-no, no idea how I came to overlook that. I read the book, read a lot of discussions here on the forum and still managed to totally miss this one.

Would this misstep require me to start over?

Thanks for the feedback!

Hi,

Started on the 28th too and it's actually going pretty well. Feeling quite good, sleeping soundly, no cravings and generally pretty upbeat. Just a bit constipated the last couple of days but it feels as a temporary phase.

However, now on day 10 I just discovered I had balsamic vinegar with sulfites on my salad... Truly didn't know that was a non-no, no idea how I came to overlook that. I read the book, read a lot of discussions here on the forum and still managed to totally miss this one.

Would this misstep require me to start over?

Thanks for the feedback!

If the balsamic vinegar had sulfites in the ingredients list, unfortunately that calls for a restart.

If elsewhere on the label it says something like "contains naturally occuring sulfites," you're fine.

Thanks for your quick reply, GFChris.

It is not in the ingredients list, it's mentioned as 'allergy-information' saying: contains sulfites. Nothing about being natural though.

I will leave this vinegar alone for the rest of my w30, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your quick reply, GFChris.

It is not in the ingredients list, it's mentioned as 'allergy-information' saying: contains sulfites. Nothing about being natural though.

I will leave this vinegar alone for the rest of my w30, just to be on the safe side.

If it's not in the ingredients list, it's fine to have on your Whole30.

Archived