Day 10 Reflections

KellyCz

I'm on day 10 of my first Whole 30...1/3 of the way there! Some thoughts about the first 10 days:

• It's not as hard as I thought it would be to avoid non-compliant foods; they're not allowed, I don't eat them, end of story
  • That said, I don't especially like eating this way; following a template takes much of the fun out of meals for me
  • I learned that coconut oil is excellent for cooking/sautéing almost anything; I never had it before, and it's definitely one of the things I'll continue after W30
  • I also never had sweet potatoes before, and sadly, I am not a fan :(
  • I had no idea I could go through so many fresh vegetables in just over a week!
  • My new favorite breakfast is sautéed red pepper, zucchini and mushrooms in scrambled eggs
  • I am eating way more food than I usually do...way better (quality of) food, too
  • The fridge is FULL of fresh veggies, fruits and meats...I now need more fridge space than pantry space
  • I don't feel any different...no better, no worse (I had a mild but persistent headache days 2-5, but other than that, nothing)
  • I'm doing this primarily to jump start weight loss, so I'm hoping to see some results near the end of the 30 days (not "weight" so much as "size"...ultimately I want to fit into my one-size-smaller clothes which haven't fit in a few years)
  • I'm spending a LOT of time cooking and washing dishes

10 down, 20 to go.

Go KellyCz! Keep up the good work. I'm with you on the sweet potatoes. Never really been a fan, though I like them sliced and oven baked (or as chips fried with some compliant oil). The cooking thing gets easier over time. You just stop thinking about it once it becomes more part of the routine, and you also figure out various shortcuts. And you also learn a bit of patience when you're hungry (I'm still working on that one). Good luck as you continue!

If I cook a sweet potato in the microwave, I find it often tastes mealy and bland. But if I bake it at 400 degrees for a full hour, it turns into a custard-like food and is utterly delicious. Now I bake them in batches.

How did you do your sweet potatoes? I like them some ways better than others. There are plenty of other starchy vegetables to try and enjoy though so you don't have to like them.

I've tried them two ways: hashbrowns (which I was really hoping to like, since I love potato hashbrowns) and roasted (sliced into 1/2-inch-thich rounds, drizzled with melted coconut oil, sprinkled with salt, pepper & chili powder, then roasted). Both were okay, but the inherent sweetness of the sweet potato just doesn't taste good to me. Good point, though: I don't have to like them!

Archived