Morning Eating / Odd Schedule

I am having trouble with the three-meals-a-day part of the W30 and want to get some tips.

I do _not_ like eating right after getting up in the morning.  I usually spend about 30-45min in bed, sometimes hitting snooze, then in bed checking email and sitting in front of my mood-morning-light.  (I was hoping that "tigerblood" might decrease this snooze time, but that hasn't really hit yet - and this is day 20.  My alarm is usually set for around 9am, to give me 8hrs of sleep.)  Then I spent the next 60-90 minutes walking the dog, tidying up the kitchen, getting ready for my day.  Then, 2 hours or so after getting up, I feel in the mood to eat.

I have heard on this forum that it is important to eat within in an hour after waking up.  I will have an especially hard time eating any vegetables other than sweet potatoes in that time period, or eating a significant volume of food.  My usual breakfast is 2 eggs+ 1-2 strips of bacon (sometimes sausages or avocado)+ small amount of non-SP veggies (i.e. half a roasted red pepper) OR 1 small sweet potato (hashed or baked in with eggs).

So what should I try eating in that first hour.  A hardboiled egg?  Just start with the sweet potato?  Start with a strip of bacon?  I need something small to start with to be successful, I think - and something I can pre-make the night before so I don't have to do a lot of cooking before I start making myself eat.  Should I just make my breakfasts more appealing to me (thus easier to start eating early) by eliminating non sweet-potato veggies?  I hate to overdo the starchy veggies, as I am on W30 in part for weight loss.

The other difficulty I have is that I am quite a night owl.  I usually eat that first meal in the 10:30am-noon time frame, so sometimes (like today), I just have lunch (tuna salad from WellFed).  Today, I didn't finish the whole can of tuna's worth of tuna salad, so I finished it off at 4pm then started getting ready for "dinner" after that.  Then I'll eat a second meal around 6-7pm.  (Today it was curried roasted cauliflower and the WellFed Bora Bora Fireballs - delish).  And I'm usually not all that hungry before I got to bed in the 1am range.  I'm often "snacky" which improves with a cup of tea.  But this means I'm really eating 2 meals a day.

Should I be eating another meal later at night?

Is this why I don't have Tiger Blood?

Thanks in advance for the tips.

Ideally, in the first hour, eat something that fits the low end of the meal template. That would be 1 palm of protein (or 1 egg), 1 cup of vegetables, and 1 compliant fat. Maybe you could have something before you walk the dog?  If all that tempts you now for veggies is sweet potato - go with that. Carb-dense vegetables are a good choice for giving you energy to start off your day.  

Carb-dense veggies do not prevent weight loss - many prior Whole30ers (myself included) ate carb-dense veggies and lost weight.  A reminder that Whole30 is not a low carb way of eating.

Make sure any bacon you have is compliant: no sugar or other nasties.  (And if you truly want to lose weight, drop the bacon for your Whole30.)

Yes, find a way to have the minimum of 3 meals a day that meet the template.  Ideally, you have them 4-5 hours apart, having the last meal 2 hours or so before you go to bed.

Also, make sure you're staying sufficiently hydrated. Aim for drinking water, in the amount of at least half your body weight in ounces, daily.

• Moderators

If you want to wake up refreshed in the morning and fall asleep before very late at night, you need to start eating breakfast. That food you don't want to eat is a powerful hormonal signal to your body that tells it to start waking up in the morning and to sleep at night. If you keep avoiding food until later in the day, your hormonal rhythm will keep supporting sleepiness in the morning and wakefulness in the evening. 

The bacon is compliant!  (Hard to find.)  But I'm done with my current package, and so I'll try not to replace it (although bacon sure is delicious).

I'm going to try having a morning sweet-potato (cooked w/ good fat) and egg breakfast.  Nothing huge, but maybe that will help get me going.

And the water is a good point too.   I think I'm short on that.  Got lightheaded at the gym today when going from lying-on-the-mat to standing work.

Day 22 and still things to work on, that's for sure!

I used to be very similar to you schedule wise.  Are you including your snooze time in the 8 hours of sleep?  Hopefully not... I found that for me the snooze button was a nasty habit and wasn't contributing any beneficial sleep.  And that I was often more tired after half an hour of snoozing than I was when the alarm first went off.

The breakfast thing takes getting used to and will probably take longer than 30 days.  But it's helped me completely revamp my sleep schedule.   And I'm still amazed at how much more I can get done with my days when I don't spend half the day being sleepy and lounging about in bed.

I'm not including "snooze time" in my sleep time.  I know that it is not good sleep and doesn't count!

It is a nasty habit and I'm trying to get rid of it.  I had just hoped that the W30 would help more.

I did eat a slice of quiche this AM (equivalent of 1 egg, 3/8 of a sweet potato, 1/3 strip of bacon) within an hour after waking up today.  But I was still hitting snooze excessively, even after 8.5 hours of sleep.

I downloaded an alarm app that lets you set a max number of snoozes. I don't know if this would help you but I set mine to 3 and plan on scaling it back until there is no option to snooze. Recovering from a cold this week so allowing myself to wake without alarm as I can be flexible with my schedule. 

Probably unrelated - but since I have a lot of mod help on this thread I thought I would throw it down here.

I have had headaches on both Day 22 and Day 23, and it is unusual for me to have headaches 2 days in a row.  Could be a total coincidence and unrelated to W30, but I thought I would ask if anybody thought it could be food related.  I thought on Day 22 that I might be dehydrated (see lightheaded comment above), but I really drank quite a bit of water and sparkling water yesterday and today and I still have a headache.

Day 22 breakfast: slice of sweet potato quiche (equivalent of 1 egg, 3/8 of a sweet potato, 1/3 strip of bacon)

Day 22 lunch/heavy snack: smoked salmon with red pepper sauce, fennel salad

Day 22 dinner: spaghetti squash chicken pad thai (yum!)

Day 23 breakfast: slice of sweet potato quiche

Day 23 lunch: leftover roasted cauliflower and Bora Bora fireballs with small amount of leftover butternut squash and sunshine sauce

Day 23 dinner: chipotle lettuce + carnitas + guacamole; +5 macadamia nuts shortly after

Anything jump out at you as a headache trigger?

Lack of water will do it. 

I dehydrated myself pretty badly on my workout on Monday and I had headache (not super bad - just annoying) for 2 days afterwards.  I am still waking up with one - which goes away with 2 glasses of water first thing in the morning (right after waking) which tells me that I am still not drinking enough. 

So I am trying to drink more (1/2 my body weight in ounces - which is like 4 litres)

Lack of water will definitely trigger a headache, but so will not eating enough. Last night I didn't eat when I got hungry and I didn't drink enough water and I had a doozy of a headache. Did you feel hungry between your meals those two days? I know you are struggling with your first meal but you might have a 2nd piece of that quiche a couple hours later because it still isn't quite meeting the lower end of the template.

Archived