2 Successful and very different Whole 30s.

MommaSmith

I am 49 years old, and on day 23 of my second Whole 30.  It is already a success!  My experiences were vastly different, but each extremely positive.  Last February my husband and I did our first Whole 30 together.  We are middle aged, basically healthy and tried to "eat right" and exercise regularly.  My husband had high cholesterol and blood pressure.  I had some reflux issues, joint pain, and skin issues with acne.  At the end of the 30 days my husband had lost 15 lbs., and reduced his cholesterol and blood pressure.  I had lost 10 lbs., had no more joint pain, reduced issues with reflux, and clear skin. 

We both did pretty darn well "riding our own bikes", and maintained good health using all the tools we learned from the Whole 30 and ISWF.  Awesome!  Then in August I was blindsided by a breast cancer diagnosis.  Eating foods that I knew were truly good for me made me feel a little bit of control over my own health, in a situation where it is so easy to feel out of control.  I had a great desire to eat foods that made me more healthy!  I even consulted the W9life website for any input from others with cancer, and found 2 books recommended that were also of great help.  During my surgery and radiation treatments, I had a wonderful support system of friends who brought me comfort foods.  I felt very happy eating them, and spending time with my loved ones.  No regrets.  During the holidays I indulged in favorite special meals and treats with my family.  No regrets.  That's what life is about .  My amazing husband and I couldn't wait to start another Whole 30 in January!  It has been so much easier than the first!  Keeping variety in our meals, trying new recipes, and making large batches have made the process more enjoyable for us.  I don't have to weigh or measure to see results.  I feel like "me" again, and that is success!

Archived