Tired, do I need supplements? What should I eat for energy?

AmyShubi

Sorry if this is a repeat post...I ran out of multivitamins about 6 months ago.  I was eating paleo (lots of meat, veggies, healthy fats), so I didn't initially think I needed additional supplementation (EXCEPT I do take Vitamin D).  However, I am noticing that I am tired and don't have the energy to do much unless I really push myself. I have SLE (lupus) but I have not experienced flares in over a year.

Every once in awhile I log what I eat into Cronometer.com because it shows what percentages I am getting for a lot of vitamins and minerals.

It seems like I hang around 40-50% for: Potassium, Iron, Magnesium, 

20-30% for: Calcium, Vitamin D, B1 (Thiamine) (I do take vitamin D supplementation)

50-70% for Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Folate.

The rest of the vitamins, minerals, fats, etc. I am doing good with, according to that site.

I know there are a lot of other factors that are involved with how much of nutrients are absorbed in my body... I am a non smoker, non drinker, walk for exercise 3-5 days a week...

A typical day for me

I have SLE (lupus) so I take plaquenil (200mg) along with my Nutrigold Vitamin D3 5000 IU in the AM.

6 AM Breakfast: Large bowl of Sweet Potato soup made with coconut milk, broth, and 0.5 c. shredded chicken.

12 PM Lunch: Large Spinach or Romaine Lettuce Salad with paleo ranch and 0.5 c. cubed chicken (sometimes I add cucumber and carrots)

6 PM: I always include 5-6 oz of beef or pork with my dinner (usually beef).  Stew made with vegetables like carrots, zucchini or paleo shephards pie with cauliflower, carrots, onions.... pretty typical for me.

After Dinner:  Right after dinner I'll have a 1/2 c. blueberries or another piece of fruit... or if I forget I have it as a snack around 8pm.

In the PM I take another plaquenil (200 mg)

*I also drink plenty of water every day... at least 3-4 water bottles that are 20 oz (so 60-80 oz)

*I sleep at least 8 hrs a night

In February I want to try Auto-Immune Protocol of the Whole30.  I am afraid of having even less energy than I do now though.

Are there any foods I could try to amp my energy?  Any supplements that you recommend?  I know I can ask my doctor, but I'd also like to hear what other people do on this site.

• Moderators

Half a cup of chicken at breakfast and lunch? It sounds like you are not getting enough protein across the day. Most of the time when someone complains of low energy, we recommend more starchy veggies. I am not sure how much sweet potato you get in your soup, but I would aim for a whole sweet potato or its equivalent per day for energy. And with lupus, you may not feel amp'd up no matter what.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post though.  I appreciate your response.  I definitely don't get a sweet potato per day right now... I will take your advice first and try more starchy vegetables.  That's easy enough to do.  I was thinking that instead of my handful of blueberries at the end of my dinner, maybe I'll do a small bowl of pumpkin puree with coc. cream & cinnamon if my meal doesn't go well with sweet potatoes.  

Archived