Starting Whole30 Today, January 29, 2014

butterfly7655

My daughter and I are starting the Whole30 today, January 29, 2014. We attempted to start a few times before but didn't have everything we needed or just weren't quite ready.

Today's the day though. So far so good! Ha, ha, ha. My daughter and I live together. She's the one that discovered the Whole30 and suggested we do it. I had started with no sugar, no white flour, etc., on January 1, so it wasn't difficult to see the benefits of the Whole30. Our eating habits had gotten really out of control during the last 4 months of 2013. We both felt yucky (for lack of a better word). We often woke up with sugar hangovers which were very unpleasant.

So today we put THAT all behind us!! Today we begin a whole new way of life with the Whole30. I'm actually looking forward to it but still a little nervous. So, here goes!

Sigh.  Day 2.  My motivation is strong but sometimes you get a little surprise.  My husband suggested pizza for dinner tonight.  My mouth almost said "Sounds fine!" (we have hot water issues right now so dirtying dishes is not a great idea) and then my brain caught up and said "Oh sorry -- I don't think pizza works for me today but I can get you one."

Problem of course is that my dearly beloved has seen me go through iterations of dietary changes for 11 years now (he was lucky to miss the first 45 of my years on this earth) and so he really has no reason to support new efforts nor does he understand my direction toward limiting my food to proteins, vegetables, fats and fruits.  For my age and weight (about 20+ pounds over), I'm in reasonably good health.  I'm not on any Rx, but I do love my wine.  I have allergies but that's what Claritin is for.  I have joint aches and a helluva bunion but that's all part of aging.

So for me to say "Darling I just feel better when I eat thus and so versus that way" is (too him) bordering on the cultish.  I get that.  So I try not to make a huge deal of it.  But it's sad that I think 4 days on Whole30 in Las Vegas will be easier for me than 4 days at home!  Ah well.

If that's the biggest challenge I have, I can handle it.  One cannot demand support and this one won't especially given my history of dieting and so forth.  My goal is to do Whole30 and Not.Make.A.Production out of it. 

Fortunately I've gotten himself used to my making my own mayo and using coconut oil and coconut aminos and ghee.  And cauliflower instead of rice.  He loves me enough to be mostly tolerant of my "eccentricities".

Well, we are on Day 4 and have done reasonably well. It's easier when the person you are living with is also doing the Whole30. No cheats at this point. The only difficulty is eating too much fruit - especially my daughter. I've managed to scale back. I also am trying to eat the portions of everything that a "normal"person would eat - 2 eggs instead of 4; 2 chicken legs instead of 3, etc. That has been more difficult for me then eliminating all the food types. The sugar has been relatively easy on the Whole30 only because that was a New Year's resolution and I started on January 1. I have already dealt with the cravings and the detoxing during the weeks before starting the Whole30.

Yesterday I was exhausted and my daughter was cranky. All I wanted was to take a nap so I did. Both my daughter and I are having trouble with our time clocks. We can't get to bed early enough so that we can get up earlier - the time "normal" people get up. So we are eating breakfast late, lunch late and dinner even later which perpetuates the problem of going to bed too late. Is anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?

Archived