Help! First Long Run on the Whole 30

redruns

I signed up for a half marathon in October and want to do the Goofy Race and Half challenge in January and have been slacking on my runs as it is, I have been a little worried about training on the Whole30. I am starting CrossFit this week and plan on training in the CrossFit endurance style. I am really 'frexcited" about the whole thing :)

i think you'll like crossfit endurance - way more effective (in my opinion) than the typical half marathon training programs. i trained while doing whole30 (actually it was probably more like whole60, i'm not sure) leading up to a half i ran in july. i developed a shoulder problem about a month before the half, so cut it down to just the crossfit endurance running workouts, plus some air squats and lunges..and i finished (which was the goal, haha).

I've been thinking about starting the whole30 on September 4th, but I'm also training for 2 upcoming 1/2 marathons. So I was very happy to see this thread on here. But after reading it, I'm still not sure if it would be best for me to start then or wait until at least after my first race. My first race is September 16th. What would you guys suggest? Does that give me enough time to get through the hard part at the beginning do you think?

I think if you pay careful attention to your carb and healthy fat intake you can totally start now and be feeling good by September 16th. Don't be afraid of the carbs in sweet potatoes, butternut squash, etc and make sure you get a serving of healthy fat at EVERY meal-maybe even an extra serving the night before a long run.

It's takes some time to adjust, but if you are aware of the possible issues and are diligent about it, you can totally do it! Good luck!

I am only on day 2 of the 30 and I am training for a 1/2 marathon in Oct. also and have been wondering the same thing. I thought about using the gu and gator ade for my long run days. Everyone's comments are really helpful. This so new to me. I do. Run/walk so I am always not sure how strenuous it is. I run 3/4 of the time. Anyway just learning what fuel my body needs.

• 4 weeks later...

I am worried about this too and i'm training for 3 halfs right now! I will use these suggestions in hope that I won't strugge TOO much in my first several runs!

Even if the first few runs are not so pleasant, it definitely gets better!

I'm in the D.C. area too :)

I agree with Tanya who recommended the book "The Paleo Diet for Athletes" by Loren Cordain and Joel Friel. I realized I just wasn't eating enough carbs while I was training. Having to rely on Gatorade and gels just goes to show how desperately your body needs more carbs. I learned the process in which your body uses energy during a workout/run/whatever and what surprised me is is that your fat stores can't be used unless glycogen (carbs) is avail. Once your glycogen stores run out your body can't access your fat and starts to rely on your muscles and breaking them down, which you're working so hard to protect and build. So I make extra efforts to make sure I'm eating more then enough veggies/fruits while I'm training (my friends and I are doing the Latin Music Miami Beach Half in November :) ) During a run Coconut water is a life saver! This book has a timetable of how and when and what to eat, a little more then the whole 30 does, but your body demands it. As this is my first Whole 30 and I'm training for a half, I follow the guidelines of the whole 30 and use the meal timetable of Paleo for Athletes and I am making this work and feel amazing!! Don't give up! There's always gonna be a run, an event or something that will never feel like the right time to start. You just gotta decide to do it and make it work! Good luck :)

• 2 weeks later...

I ran one of my 3 halfs only 6 days after starting paleo. The race was a hot mess. I ate plenty of sweet potatoes, and carried dates with me, but it was SOO hilly and probably a lot more engery demaning than an flat face (if possible). I was pretty discouraged, but my next race is on 10/13 in baltimore and i'm hoping it goes better.

I am running a half marathon this Saturday, on what will be Day 13 for me...I am very worried, as my running is not good so far - takes more effort to run shorter distances. I will carry dates, etc with me and fuel before the race, bt I am afraid I will crash and burn.

AuntB, how much of a hot mess was your half? Were you just a lot slower? Any ideas on what you could have done better?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been eating mostly Paleo for quite some time now, and am gradually getting into it. I'm finally at the point where I don't crave any whole grains, and have been lactose intolerant for some time now so dairy products are easy to avoid. As for refined sugars, I've been trying to use cocoa powder (I'm finding it difficult to find cocoa powder that isn't dutch processed/ processed with alkali, which I've heard is the same thing- does anyone have suggestions?)

I'm an attorney and so I'm super busy during the day, but I'm also supposed to be training for a marathon (San Antonio Rock n' Roll in November- we'll see if I manage the whole thing as my knee has been tweaking and I don't want to do permanent damage). I have noticed that whenever I broke and had chocolate candy that my energy levels crashed, versus when I stuck to the Paleo diet.

Ahh! Ok, forgot to introduce myself:

I'm a female (in case you didn't get it from my username)

I'm an attorney (in South Florida)

I just turned 30 this summer!

I'm single (have a boyfriend; he's great)

No kids, just a dog!

As far as the training runs- there are some suggestions for how-to and how others have done it without large amounts of sugars/grains, etc: http://runnersconnect.net/running-training-articles/cience-of-bonking-and-glycogen-depletion/

I'm starting the Whole 30 today, so normally I'd say wish me luck but as I think that leaves an out/excuse, I'm just going to say watch me succeed! I think the Forum is great and will try to post every day as a way of keeping myself in check.

Go get 'em, girls!

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone - I have a week under my belt with Whole30 and I just ran a half marathon this weekend and I felt like I had zero energy. I ran 14 minutes slower than I did one month ago and I know I'm in better shape. I just had no energy during that run. I may have not eaten enough that morning, (3 eggs, half grapefruit, sip of coffee) so I am definitely going to adjust my pre-workout meal. I also was very hungry once I reached 9 miles so I'm going to have to rely on gatorade or some gel to help my stomach not ache from feeling so empty. I was really doubting myself but I'm glad to see some people that have also struggled during long runs! Good luck to all those training for a fall marathon! I'm doing Hartford!! 

Hi everyone - I have a week under my belt with Whole30 and I just ran a half marathon this weekend and I felt like I had zero energy. I ran 14 minutes slower than I did one month ago and I know I'm in better shape. I just had no energy during that run. I may have not eaten enough that morning, (3 eggs, half grapefruit, sip of coffee) so I am definitely going to adjust my pre-workout meal. I also was very hungry once I reached 9 miles so I'm going to have to rely on gatorade or some gel to help my stomach not ache from feeling so empty. I was really doubting myself but I'm glad to see some people that have also struggled during long runs! Good luck to all those training for a fall marathon! I'm doing Hartford!! 

This is actually very normal at this stage in your Whole30. General rule of thumb with racing is not to change anything about your diet in the 2 weeks prior to your race. After about your 2nd week you should start to feel the energy come back to your runs. Do beware of fruit and/or starchy carbs pre-workout. A pre-workout meal should be protein and fat and post-workout should be lean protein and starchy vegetables. If you continue to give your body carbs pre workout it will delay your becoming a fat burner. No Gatorade or gels while doing Whole30. I always would run with water bottles that were half water and half coconut water especially on hotter days. I generally can get through a half with no additional during race fuel now. Lots of options for compliant in race food in this forum if you browse the topics.

• 8 months later...

So glad I just found this string of posts! I am on day 15, and am running a 10 mile race on Saturday. When I first set my Whole30 start date, I was hoping that by the race, I would have that Tiger Blood feeling, and feel unstoppable. And then, I realized on a long training run tonight that Saturday (day 20) will be my first ever race without gatorade or gels. At first, I was very freaked out by this thought, but after a few Google searches, I can make my own "gatorade" and will "carb up" with sweet potatoes, etc. this week. Phew! 

PS this is the Electrolyte Lemon-Limeade I found: http://www.ourpaleolife.com/2013/06/electrolyte-lemon-limeade/

So glad I just found this string of posts! I am on day 15, and am running a 10 mile race on Saturday. When I first set my Whole30 start date, I was hoping that by the race, I would have that Tiger Blood feeling, and feel unstoppable. And then, I realized on a long training run tonight that Saturday (day 20) will be my first ever race without gatorade or gels. At first, I was very freaked out by this thought, but after a few Google searches, I can make my own "gatorade" and will "carb up" with sweet potatoes, etc. this week. Phew! 

PS this is the Electrolyte Lemon-Limeade I found: http://www.ourpaleolife.com/2013/06/electrolyte-lemon-limeade/

The limeade is not Whole30 compliant, due to the honey.

Sometimes local honey is not what it's cracked up to be.   There's often times not enough pollen/food for the bees so the hives are supplemented with candy and sugar.  In our locale, they use candycanes...yep, the Christmas kind.  So the quality of honey can really be nothing more than sugar...no real nutrition or benefit.    

Right - I should've said I wasn't planning on adding the honey in. Just water, lemon, lime and salt. Thanks!

I've been using this exact thing for a couple of years now for long (or hot) training runs and it works great!  Eliminates the dehydration headaches without the chemicals of sports drinks.

I did a 1/2 on the 16th (my Day 13), and while that run started off better than the previous 2 weeks worth of runs, it was still a bit of torture. I made it to the finish but bonked and cramped pretty well by mile 10. Now here I am I'm on Day 23, and this morning's was the first run that felt totally "normal". No more heavy legs and my pace was back up in the normal range! Anyway, for those of you training, know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. We just don't know how long your tunnel is going to be! LOL! Hang in there. It does get better, and then after that it gets even BETTER.

• 1 month later...

Great thread, and I have enjoyed reading every post. I am continuing training for. September half after just completing a great half earlier this month. Considering my first Whole30, but scared of how it will affect not only my runs, but the fitness classes I teach as well. After reading, still unsure about taking it on.

I decided at our next water stop I wasn't going to finish this run without the help of Gatorade & Gu. At mile 7 I took Gatorade, as much as I wanted, & some water. I instantly felt better. At mile 9 I took a Gu & some water & felt even better. By mile 11 I was taking a water & Gatorade mix. I finished the run strong. My suggestion is to up the fruits a bit, particularly bananas, if you are feeling depleted. You really shouldn't need a "feed" in a run that's less than 2 hours in length. Water should be sufficient, and you should be careful not to overdrink, but just drink to thirst.

Archived