Why did i start in Feb... it only has 28 days!

TommyPrisco

Well actually i did think of this and started on the 27th January.

See what i did there?

So this is the first Whole 30 i've attempted and a bit of background is in order:

The background bit

Male: 31
(I actually had to think about that one for a while)

Weight: 222lb
(Thank you Christmas in the UK you git!)

Job: Sedentary office
(Isn't that a geological feature? // Google // nope that's sedimentary)

Exercise: Bike 20km to work 2 times a week, run now and again
(Increasing both of these over the next 4 weeks)

(Way too hot to exercise outside on the 35c+ days)

The Story so far:

I'm a member of Myfitness pal and so most of my meals are located on there (Friend me if you fancy) but i'll be breaking it down on this blog about my diet as i'm not following the Whole30 meal plan.

Day 1

B - No breaky today as i was late for work and wasn't hungry

L - Roasted chicken breast with a big salad (Boring)

D - Tiger prawn stirfry with garlic, bok choy and cashew (now we're talking!)

S - Black coffee and some jasmine green tea (This will feature a lot no doubt)

Exercise - Ran 3km to work (Not run for a while so starting short)

Day 2

B - Scrambled eggs (2) with fresh diced tomatoes and a bit of olive oil

L - The left over tiger prawn stirfy from Day 1 dinner

D - Bad ass chicken thai cocunut chilli broth (Used the fresh kaffir lime leaves from my tree!)

S - Black coffee

Exercise - Biked 20km home from work (Ass hurts)

Day 3

B - 2 meatballs and tomato sauce (Slow cooked over night)

L - 5 meatballs and tomato sauce (I ran out of time for breakfast so snuck some of lunch)

D - BBQ chicken breast with salad and home made sweet potato wedges (Nothing finer)

S - Black black coffee baby

Exercise - Will be getting off the tram 3km from home and jogging home

So that takes us up to 3pm today (I've got the chicken out for tonights BBQ so that's already decided :)

I'll update this every day i can so i can keep a record.

Crap i forgot to mention my motivation! 

MOTIVATION!

Definitely deserves the caps!

I have my sisters wedding in August this year and so am slimming down so i look, legen.... wait for it.....dary, in a suit. Also it's been for too long since i was sub 200lbs and therefore need to kickstart my health.

I've been eating 80% paleo for a while now and bloody love to cook so figure i'm in a good starting position for this challenge!

I'm a member of Myfitness pal and so most of my meals are located on there (Friend me if you fancy) but i'll be breaking it down on this blog about my diet as i'm not following the Whole30 meal plan.

I'm confused. Are you doing a Whole30 or are you not?

If you are than logging food on MyFitnessPal (or any calorie counter) is not allowed on the rules and will negatively impact your experience with the program. If you are also need to check the meal template as a lot of your meals do not meet the minimum of it.

If you are not doing a Whole30 than I will move your log to the post Whole30 section where people won't bother you about your non-compliance to the program but here in this section we ask that you keep to the rules please.

@Physibeth

I didn't realise i wasn't allowed to calorie count while on the whole30 program, i thought it was just not recommended?

I only use Myfitnesspal to log the food i eat and track exercise so not really counting the calories.

I'd also appreciate a bit of advice on where my eating is not complying (apart from forgetting breakfast.

Cheers

Tom

Day 4

B - Left over Thai coconut broth with some extra mushrooms and chillis

L - Big salad with some of the leftover meatballs which i fried up burger style

D - Baked salmon with stirfied bok choy, mushrooms and garlic

S - Black coffee

Mood

Took a while to wake up this morning and ages to get to sleep last night but generally i feel i'm avoiding the Kill everything mood. Although i did get snappy last night.

Energy wise i feel tired but not too bloaty. The run home failed yesterday as my knees were killing me but still walked the distance quickly in the sun.

Hello from a fellow Australian

I started my first whole30 on the 30th January.  Am now at the end of day two and loving it.

I also just started a log to try get some moderator advice.  

Best of luck with it all!

:)

@Physibeth

I didn't realise i wasn't allowed to calorie count while on the whole30 program, i thought it was just not recommended?

I only use Myfitnesspal to log the food i eat and track exercise so not really counting the calories.

I'd also appreciate a bit of advice on where my eating is not complying (apart from forgetting breakfast.

Cheers

Tom

Well for sure I thought it was in the rules, but we do very strongly encourage you not to and would argue that it will give you the best results not to. Even if you are not logging for the calories you are still getting the calorie feedback which could skew your choices. We want you to learn to listen to your bodies natural signals. 

This is a great blog post on it: http://whole30.com/2013/02/you-count-more-than-your-calories-do/

As far as non-compliance your food choices seem to be within yes foods but it doesn't look like you are eating nearly enough. As per the meal planning template each meal should be at minimum a palm sized serving of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies, and a serving of added fat. Two obvious places I see are your breakfast on day 4 is missing protein completely and your day 2 breakfast protein seems light as a serving of eggs is as many whole ones as you can hold in your hand (I'm pretty small and I can hold 3-4 depending on how hungry I am). 

Just so you know I'm not trying to be nitpicky here. I'm just trying to help you get the best you can from this experience.

@Physibeth

Don't worry i never thought you were nitpicking :) Thanks for your input and advice, i'll start trying to eat more but at the moment the portions that i'm creating are really filling me up.

Day 4's breakfast contained about 3 quarters of a chicken breast. Perhaps i should start being more specific about quantity and specific ingredients.

Also, thanks for reminding me to buy eggs :)

@Physibeth

Don't worry i never thought you were nitpicking :) Thanks for your input and advice, i'll start trying to eat more but at the moment the portions that i'm creating are really filling me up.

Day 4's breakfast contained about 3 quarters of a chicken breast. Perhaps i should start being more specific about quantity and specific ingredients.

Also, thanks for reminding me to buy eggs :)

When talking about quantities of a protein you will get the best advice if you give it to us in reference to your palm size as we have no idea what that is. The more information you give us the better help we can give for sure. 

If you are feeling satisfied that is good but I would try to work towards at least the lower end of the template. Some people struggle with eating enough especially if they have come from a background of long term calorie restriction. For me personally giving up calorie counting and teaching myself to trust my body has led me to a place where I'm rarely tempted to binge eat now where before it was a constant battle for me.

Forgot to post for a couple of days.

Tired

Day 6, 7 and 8 (Sunday and Monday) have been tough. I'm getting bored of what i'm cooking and although i'm big on cooking i'm restricted by my girlfriends lack of love for lamb, eggs, stews and anything even nearly spicy. 

The last couple of days i've been struggling to wake up in the mornings and although my energy levels pick up around lunch it's affecting my exercise and i hope this stage passes soon.

Knowing that day 10 and 11 are the toughest just makes me want to get through it even more

Cravings - Drink

Probably directly related to boredom more than anything, include anything that isn't water and black coffee. I've got some herbal fruit tea which i've stewed in hot water and then filled a jug will cold water and put in the fridge. It makes a nice weak cordial which is helping with the drink cravings.

Cravings - Food

I find myself opening the fridge and looking at all the food i can't touch. The basil pesto with parmesan, the greek yoghurt, the cold can of coke zero. Grrr.

Challenges

First major social challenge coming up on Saturday. A friends 30th at a bowls club. Thankfully they are handling the BBQ and all alcohol is to be bought at the club. Therefore i can bring my own grass fed burgers and won't be pressured into drinking any beer. It's also going to be 40c which means everyone will be too hot to moan at me about not drinking.

Well, I bit the bullet and started on February the first! Only because it was January 31st when I decided I wanted to do this and I just wanted to start straight away! It wouldn't have mattered what month, what date or day of the week... I just wanted to get started!

So day 5 now and all good. When left to my own devices I usually eat a Paleo diet anyway as I know how much better I feel without all those grains clogging up my system and making me feel like cr@p. But I really needed to kick-start some weight loss as the kilos have been creeping on lately...

Only things I am missing are coffee, chocolate and wine. But only 25 days to go now. Not that I am going to blow it all on day 31, but a couple of squares of Lindt Fleur de Sol chocolate while sipping on a glass of Pinot Gris is my Friday treat!

Or it was...

:)

@scarletta

Keep up the good work.

I too follow a fairly solid Paleo lifestyle but caught myself thinking about the things i would reintroduce from the 31st day. 

I've decided that i cannot live without milk (Never had any lactose issues) and dark chocolate (Everyone needs a treat now and then). But for the rest of it i'll definitely be more aware of cheeky sugar that sneaks into everything, and i'll be continuing to be t-total until my Sisters wedding in August! 

Alcohol is the biggest factor in weight gain for me. Not only is it full of empty calories, it also makes me binge eat and costs way too much. Every time i stop drinking for any length of time i start loosing weight which is the real goal here.

I envy your glass of Pinot although mine would be a noir ;)

The best thing about doing Whole30 in Australia in Summer? BBQs

Honestly i'm not sure how i'd cope with Whole 30 if i couldn't throw a steak or some chicken thighs on the BBQ and it really helps with social situations as you can create a huge Whole30 meal for as many people as you like and they'll never know.

Chicken thighs with lemon and olive oil

Beetroot salad with roasted cashew nuts

Slow roasted sweet potato wedges

WINNER

Interesting convo with the colleagues today.

They asked the question i'd been waiting for - What are you doing and why?

My answer was - that it was the Whole30 which aims to get rid of your bodies craving for the bad things you find in a lot of processed food, to weed out the causes of discomfort or health issues, and to give people control over their decision making when it came to food.

Well actually my answer was really me mumbling something about sugar and bad processed food which didn't sound entirely convincing :)

I also had to come to terms with why i'm really doing this and it all boils down to 1 thing. Getting healthy. I already follow paleo 80/20 but Christmas really screwed me over and i found i'd lost control over my decision making which led to me gaining weight. Following New Years i stood on the scales, looked in the mirror and was very disappointed, with myself mainly.

So for me it's all about kickstarting the habits that will let me drop the lbs and get back to the weight i was before i went travelling (180lbs). I've done it before so i know it's possible, but i desperately need that routine and that goal to stick. I think Whole 30 will put me on that path. I just have to be careful that after Day 30 i don't slip back into old habits. 

I SURVIVED!

I survived my friends 30th birthday, not only the lawn bowls with BBQ (My friend who was cooking made sure to save me some steak and Whole 30 approved burger), but also not drinking from 5pm to 1am despite it being 40c and those ice cold beers being so enticing.

Feeling so much better that i didn't cave even a little bit.

Looking at my body in the mirror after only 2 weeks i can already see the difference and my significant other has commented on how my moods have chilled out.

13 days in and looking forward to the rest!

Wow the past 2 mornings i've woken up feeling like a zombie (and not a running one at that). So tired until around 10am and i have a coffee injection!

Breakfast was pretty awesome this morning though:

2 poached eggs

100gm smoked ocean trout

4 asparagus spears fried in gee

6 slow roasted olive and garlic tomatoes

YUM!

Day 17

Finally seem to have gotten through my tired phase! Woke up with a bounce this morning which was nice for a change.

Busy day at work but i've packed a lunch of left over Roast beef from last night, with the rest of the slow roast tomatoes and olives and have added half a head of broccoli.

Tonight's dinner will be chicken thighs BBQ'd with whatever veggies i can find in the fridge.

• 2 weeks later...

Bless me father for i have sinned, it's been 7 days since my last confession.

Last night i munched into a big fat juicy cheeseburger. It was delicious and warm and bready. I've no idea how it appeared in my hands. Also there was a talking dog and i was trying to capture a fortress. 

Now although it was a dream and the fact that i was more concerned about the burger than the talking dog or fortress i still felt the biggest sense of relief when i woke up and realised i hadn't eaten it. It's akin to dreaming something terrible has happened to your loved one, only to wake up and find out they're there beside you. Utter relief.

Things are going really really well. Weight is dropping off, i no longer even think about non compliant food, although when it's 35c i sometimes daydream about a cold corona. My appetite has dropped off dramatically and involves no snacking! Sometimes i have to force myself to eat Breaky.

Really looking forward to Day 31 Next Weds. Not because i'm going to pig out (not happening), but because i can finally have milk back in my tea!

Archived