Walnuts vs. Almonds

Dominik

Hi everyone,

So I like to snack on a little bit of walnuts once a day in between meals. I grew up eating them in Poland and they just seem like my "comfort food" so to speak. Now Dr. Cordain says that almonst have a good 6:3 omega fat ratio while almonds have no omega 3. It Starts with Food says that we should enjoy almonds but limit walnuts.

What to believe? If I were to go with my palate, I'd go with walnuts. What do you do when your Paleo resources seem to contradict one another?

-Dominik (day four of the Whole30, restarting, after falling off the wagon after a week)

• Moderators

You can eat walnuts occasionally without a problem, but they are not a best choice for regular consumption because they skew your fatty acid balance in the direction of omega6s.

A one ounce serving of walnuts has 2.6 grams of omega3s and 10.8 grams of omega 6s. Almonds have 0 grams of omega3s and 0.5 grams of omega6s. Clearly, walnuts have a measure of omega3s, the kind of fatty acids we generally need to eat more. However, the volume of omega6s undermines the value of eating the walnuts because most people already consume too many omega6 fatty acids. The balance to aim for is 1 to 1. Walnuts are at 1 to 4.15.

What do you do when your Paleo resources seem contradictory? Dig deeper or pick one. 

Thank you! Are there any nuts (I don't snack on these that often) that have more omega 3 along the 1:1 ration?

And what is the deal with chia seeds? I see some people eating them and others say they are not good because they impede nutrient absorptions (which makes sense).

On the topic of snacking, the idea on the Whole30 is to get to a point where three daily meals (or more, if you're very active) satiates you.

If you are genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), then have a mini meal that includes a protein and fat. Whatever nuts you choose, nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.  So if you're hungry in between, and are going to have nuts, add a protein.

Well I have very balanced meals: lean protein, veggies and a bit of fruit with each meal and for the most part, I'm not a snacker. But sometimes, when I leave the office at 5:00pm and head to class from 6:00-9:00pm, I'm not really ready for an actual meal. Yes, I would eat steamed fish and broccoli but not thr whole plate. Does that make sense? So I have a couple of walnuts (literally barely a handful) to sustain me until I get home and can have a meal. This is why I ask about walnust. although in this instances, I can have a chicken breast and a kiwi really quick before I head to class.

Are your meals following the meal template?  It calls for 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat.  Fruit is optional, but limited to 1-2 servings per day, where a serving is the size of your fist.

Yes, what you're saying makes sense. So it sounds like you couldn't eat a whole full-size meal of fish and broccoli - maybe a small portion or few bites?  Good, that means hungry. :) (We're trying to distinguish eating due to hunger vs. eating out of habit.)  In that case, the suggestion is to have a protein and fat mini-meal, so chicken with the walnuts would work. Reserve your fruit servings to have with your main meals vs. as part of a snack.

Thank you so much for the input. I do follow this meal template. I just thought for some reason that walnuts were a protein AND a fat. Ok so walnuts should be eaten as a tiny side along with a protein and if possible some veggies. What I can do is eat half of my lunch at lunch and then the rest right before I leave for class.

I am really not hungry in between meals since I started the Whole30. I usually have a kiwi, some berries or an apple (since they're in season) with breakfast and dinner (usually one kiwi or one apple) since 99% of the time I'll have a baby spinach salad for lunch with some protein.

I'm still reading It Starts with Food but I get the newsletter so I'm still learning about all of this but I'm loving it.

Thanks!

• Moderators

Here is a little more info about omega3s and 6s in various foods: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratio_of_fatty_acids_in_different_foods

Nuts are not really a good source of omega3s. Cold water, oily fish are the best source. Personally, I eat canned salmon multiple times per week. 

Here is a good discussion of chia seeds: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/3458-chia-seeds/?hl=chia

Just a quick update: I modified my meals a bit and started off with a big breakfast (spinach, zucchini, bell peppers, some left over chicken and eggs scrambled) and my need to snack has subsided. I opted to drink my green smoothie before class now.

I take the vegetables I dislike eating raw and blend them: celery, kale, a whole avocado (this I like to eat but it really balances out the flavor of the smoothie), turmeric, raw coconut or apple cider vinegar, raw ginger and some raw cocoa. Pour some water in there and blend it in my 44oz. Ninja. This makes two 22oz. servings.

Just a quick update: I modified my meals a bit and started off with a big breakfast (spinach, zucchini, bell peppers, some left over chicken and eggs scrambled) and my need to snack has subsided. I opted to drink my green smoothie before class now.

I take the vegetables I dislike eating raw and blend them: celery, kale, a whole avocado (this I like to eat but it really balances out the flavor of the smoothie), turmeric, raw coconut or apple cider vinegar, raw ginger and some raw cocoa. Pour some water in there and blend it in my 44oz. Ninja. This makes two 22oz. servings.

Glad to hear the big breakfast is working for you.

On the smoothie, smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30. We'd rather you chew/eat the food, vs. drink it, as chewing is more satiating. If you need a snack before class, have mini-meal that includes a protein and fat. Maybe some chicken and avocado or raw coconut, for example? 

Hi! Well I just finished reading It Starts with Food and agree with you, smoothies are not the best way to go. While I do not like raw kale or celery but I want the nutrients, perhaps I can steam both and add some boiled shrimp, drizzled with an olive oil dressing (with turmeric and ginger) I made with a side of avicado and tomato instead? I can always add the raw cacao to my morning coffee. Also, celery dipped in my homemade mayo or the dreamy avocado dressing could be the way to go.Thanks for the advice.

Archived