First W30 on 2/2

JimisHuman

I was going to wait until after my birthday at the end of Feb. (because who wants to give up cake and drinks?) to start, but today I feel like I have hit rock bottom.  We had a blood drive at work today for a coworker that has cancer, and I wasn't able to donate because my blood pressure was too high.  I've always been morbidly obese (combo of too much bad food and PCOS?) but I've always tried to stay active, and I've always had good blood test results, bp only slightly high.  But this past year was a new position at my job and it was highly stressful and I ate really horrible processed food and drank A LOT of soda.  My test results from January show high bp, type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, the works.  SCARY!  The worst part about today's wake up call is my bp is probably elevate just from the exertion of walking from my office down to the donation bus outside.  I've had ingrown toenails on both big toes for about a year, so wearing sneakers was very painful.  I finally got that taken care of, so now I can start back with the physical activity too. I know I have a lot of things going against me (like an hour long commute each way, taking care of family, lifelong poor eating, etc).  It will be very challenging to break my attachment to food (because food isn't just food it's a way I've dealt with feelings too), and to recover from the addiction of processed foods, but I know it can be done.  I'll probably be here for lots of support!  And to be held accountable.

Thanks for listening to me ramble...

Good luck to you!  I started today.  I figure I've got nowhere else to go but up!  I've been dallying in various food programs (WW, South Beach, etc) and have managed to maintain weight for months now.  Which I suppose is a good thing except it's not the weight where I should be. 

My first reaction was "BUT WHAT IF I DO 30 DAYS AND NOTHING HAPPENS?"  Well.  I've done 30 days and nothing has happened before so it's not like I have anything to lose.

Make sure you check out the timeline (somewhere on this site) for what will happen to us as we do this.  It's super helpful.

Archived