Hungry Hungry But Dinner Is In The Oven- What To Do?

CpBatchelor

Time management in the kitchen.. What a dreadful topic, right? But tonight I encountered again an all too familiar scenario:

I am super hungry but dinner is in the oven and still has 20+ minutes to go...

Tonight I was lucky to be able to sign off (worked from home) right at 5pm and then went right into the kitchen to make the Clothes Make The Girl Sheppard's Pie. Naturally it took me longer than 30 min to get that bad boy in the oven, which I suspect was due to adding more veggies (squash, zucchini, green beans, and butternut squash). I was hungry but not like steamed fish hungry before I started making dinner. 

When I put the pie into the oven, I knew it had to bake for 30 minutes so I had a few (5) almonds and drank some of my kombucha. I usually drink the kombucha after dinner but knew I needed something on my stomach besides water. I had already drank over 60 ounces of water when prepping... 

Flash forward to 6:30... I took dinner out of the oven, even though it could have used a another 10 min or so to complete the browning on the top, as I used a 9 by 13 pan since there was so much goodness. I devoured dinner.

So, how do you all handle the fact that you are so hungry that you could eat two servings of the steamed fish scenario when you know you have 30 min or more till you can eat?

As I wasnt sure if almonds were the route to go, but a hard boiled egg I think would have been too much and spoiled dinner. Thoughts/comments/suggestions def welcome! :) :)

• Moderators

Time management in the kitchen.. What a dreadful topic, right? But tonight I encountered again an all too familiar scenario:

I am super hungry but dinner is in the oven and still has 20+ minutes to go...

Tonight I was lucky to be able to sign off (worked from home) right at 5pm and then went right into the kitchen to make the Clothes Make The Girl Sheppard's Pie. Naturally it took me longer than 30 min to get that bad boy in the oven, which I suspect was due to adding more veggies (squash, zucchini, green beans, and butternut squash). I was hungry but not like steamed fish hungry before I started making dinner. 

When I put the pie into the oven, I knew it had to bake for 30 minutes so I had a few (5) almonds and drank some of my kombucha. I usually drink the kombucha after dinner but knew I needed something on my stomach besides water. I had already drank over 60 ounces of water when prepping... 

Flash forward to 6:30... I took dinner out of the oven, even though it could have used a another 10 min or so to complete the browning on the top, as I used a 9 by 13 pan since there was so much goodness. I devoured dinner.

So, how do you all handle the fact that you are so hungry that you could eat two servings of the steamed fish scenario when you know you have 30 min or more till you can eat?

As I wasnt sure if almonds were the route to go, but a hard boiled egg I think would have been too much and spoiled dinner. Thoughts/comments/suggestions def welcome! :) :)

I can relate to the serious hunger on occasion. While dinner is cooking, I often munch on raw veggies - baby carrots, sugar snap peas, celery, red bell pepper strips. I'm taking in extra veggies (if needed I can serve myself less on my plate and save for my next meal) so no harm, no foul.

This happens to me too sometimes. In fact, it happened just last night. I, too, went with a small handful of nuts. 

I, too, work from home, so depending on what time I schedule my lunch break (around conference calls, errands, etc.) if it's early I go for a mini-meal around 3-4 PM. Unless I end up eating at 1 or later, I usually can't eat enough at lunch to keep from getting really hungry if I can't get dinner done before around 7 pm.

Oh and I forgot to mention - I recently made the Shepherd's Pie from Well Fed too. 30 minutes to prepare? Yeah right. Not even close! Maybe if I made it more often it would take less time but it took me well over an hour.

But it was SO GOOD. Totally worth it.

I am on Day 25 and feel wonderful but am having the opposite problem. I have lost my appetite and struggle to eat what I should. I have been eating a lot of protein and maybe not as many vegetables as I should. Hoping to keep going after the 30 days as I am feeling so good!

I am glad that I am not the only one who has encountered this, I didnt think I was but thought I should post about it! 

Thanks yall for the good ideas! I will have to remember to break out the veggies too. I was running low yesterday so I tried to ensure that I got them into the pie rather than my mouth right then and there LOL. The Sheppard's Pie was def worth it though! :) :)

I keep a stash of deviled eggs in the fridge. They are great if I'm hungry and dinner is still a little while away. I will eat one (1/2 egg) and wash it down with a glass of water. Usually that is enough to keep me going till dinner is ready. But it's not too much.

The deviled eggs are a great snack for kids also. But for my daughter, I don't put pickles on top :)

Archived