Two Bites of Cupcake; Start Over?

LauraVW

My fiancé and I started Whole30 on January 10th. I was gluten free prior (after discovering that a whole host of problems I just thought everyone experienced was really the glutens!) I was the one who pushed for this program, my fiancé reluctantly joined. I mostly joined as a "reset," but I possibly could be a sweet addict (don't stop with just a couple M&Ms kind of gal).

So far, my fiancé's experience has been great. Since it wasn't his idea, he is doing the weighing thing and he is the lowest he has been all year. I am in a slump right now. I'm really bloated and irregular (let's just say I don't drink the coffee for the jumpstart anymore, if you know what I mean).

My question is- do I need to restart if I knowingly ate some sugar and dairy. The circumstances around this: I'm a Family and Consumer Sciences teacher. I don't teach the culinary courses (thankfully, for my Whole 30), but several months ago, students were discussing with me idea for what food they could create for a competition. I jokingly said "Invent me gluten-free coconut cakes for my wedding." Well, I didn't hear back from them for months and I thought they had just passed on the whole concept.

Yesterday, they showed up in my classroom, proud as can be, with a coconut cupcake and a survey (their project requires they taste test prior to entry). They designed their own flour blend and were SO PROUD. I tried to tell them I was on this special diet thing, but I couldn't delay the taste test because their competition is this Friday.  I know that part of the program is declining things in casual situations (I hosted my monthly wine group snacking on veggies and sipping Perrier). But seriously, after looking at the disappointment on their faces from me rejecting this creation they made JUST FOR ME, I probably would've eaten a cupcake laced with rat poison.

I ate one bite and gave them all the feedback they needed for their survey. They took all my feedback last night and created a better cupcake, which they presented to me today. I ate a bite of that as well and gave feedback (it WAS really impressively improved). But times, I specifically limited myself and did not allow myself to eat any more (which is something old me could not have done). I didn't ask them for an ingredients list, but I likely ingested sugar, milk, and possibly butter.

Does this constitute a restart? I really want Whole30 to for me, but I was also really consciously planning to be done prior to Valentine's Day to enjoy a nice date and wine. I think starting again when I'm already half through might possibly kill it for me, but I've felt so guilty I finally just had to ask.

I don't know what the mods will say, but... if starting over is going to demoralize you to the point where you are NOT going to finish or start over at all - then I say just keep going!  You might find that you are so energized at the end of day 30 that you want to extend to have a full thirty days of compliance, even if it means doing your Valentine's a little differently this year.  Kudos for the generosity you showed your students by sacrificing your clean slate for their benefit.

EDIT: After further considering the situation, I have revised my response to your dilemma.

The situation was highly unique and special. Two bites of cupcake might disrupt your gut and make some difference in your Whole30 results. Keep going with the understanding some progress may have been lost.

Thanks everyone. It's nice to talk to other people who understand what I'm trying to do. When I bounced this off friends, they are mostly like, "Why are you even doing that anyway."

I think I'm going to stick to the original plan and finish on Feb 11. From what I've been reading, this is a review and revise process. I've already learned some things that I did wrong this time (maybe my vinegar isn't compliant? things like that). This whole process has transformed my eating habits, pretty much the only analogous thing was that I didn't eat wheat (but ate all the GF crap out there) and I tried to emphasize vegetables in my diet. This process has taught us so much. My fiancé and I have both confirmed that we want to transition to eating clean/paleo at least 90% of the time from here on out. We will continue to use the new cooking methods we've learned and recipes from Well Fed. I think we'll transition out, but I'm looking at talking what I learned and doing another whole 30 in the future, maybe around April/May. 

Archived