Weird skin and dandruff since coming off the whole30...

Laketon79

I have completed three whole30's. In between these times I don't eat very well. I have improved my eating a lot, but it is definitly not up to par with the whole30. I am now experiencing rashes popping up all over on my body.  I have also been battling horrible dandruff for the past two 1/2 months. These are things that I never have had trouble with before, and now I'm freaking out that the more I do these whole30's and heal my gut lining, the more unwanted reactions I will see when I do eat bad. I don't know what to think about that. I want be healthier but I don't want a bunch more problems coming up that I never had before.

To be clear, if you're not eating well between whole30s, you're likely not healing your gut. That takes time and consistency. Unfortunately, the body can't heal in starts and stops. Trust me, I tried that for a few years, didn't work.

Skin conditions are our bodies way of saying something isn't right. So listen to it. Have you done a reintroduction as described in the book? That's one of the purposes of the whole30 - to see what your body really doesn't like after you exclude it and then reintroduce it. If you continue to eat the things your body doesn't like, your body might have to continue to find ways to tell you so. Your call if you listen to it.

I thought I have read that the gut lining heals pretty quickly, and I have done 2 whole30's and did the reintroductions. I am very happy with the results of the whole30's and I am a believer in this way of eating. However, I just am concerned that since doing those that now I am going to have more sensitivities when I do eat badly. I don't want that!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sunshine12. Since coming off the Whole30 some of the issues I had before are now worse.  I even have some new ones.  I greatly decreased my sugar intake and went gluten free 30 days before the start of the Whole30.  After completing the Whole30 I slowly went off the wagon.  I understand that healthy eating is better for me and I plan to get back to it, but that's not the focus here.  I am also concerned that if in the future I am unable to stay on track (the future is unpredictable), is this something that I'm going to have to suffer through.  I'm one who looks waaaay down the road and can't help to think that when I get older and have a stay in the hospital or even assisted living, what then (for me that might be a short 15 years down the road)?  And if this is where I'm at now after only 30+ days of eliminating problem foods from my diet, what will be the reaction after eating clean for 6 months, 1 year... you get the idea.  I've been back to my old eating habits for 5 months now and thought that my body would slowly get back to the level of issues I was having before the Whole30, but they are still much worse.

Whew, after saying all that, I have nothing but praise for the Whole30 and am also in agreeance that it's the way to go.  What I'm looking for is the same as you, to compare notes with others who have also had issues when returning to their old way of eating; like, do things eventually go back to normal?

Whew, after saying all that, I have nothing but praise for the Whole30 and am also in agreeance that it's the way to go.  What I'm looking for is the same as you, to compare notes with others who have also had issues when returning to their old way of eating; like, do things eventually go back to normal?

My question would be, why are you returning to your old eating habits if you feel so poorly when you do it?  :)

After completing your Whole30 and reintroductions, the idea is to use your experience and results to "ride your own bike" in a way that continually supports your health. 

For me, the only items I brought back are red wine (significantly less than before) and quality dark chocolate (also significantly less). I keep legumes, grains, soy and dairy out of my home, and only have those items (never have gluten, as I've been off it for years), if I encounter something special while dining out or at someone's home.

I thought I have read that the gut lining heals pretty quickly, and I have done 2 whole30's and did the reintroductions. I am very happy with the results of the whole30's and I am a believer in this way of eating. However, I just am concerned that since doing those that now I am going to have more sensitivities when I do eat badly. I don't want that!

It is not likely that the Whole30 caused sensitivities that you didn't have before. What it did was awaken you to being able to feel them.

The analogy I like best is if I walk over and start repetitively poking you in the arm at a constant rate at first it is going to hurt and be bothersom but after a while it becomes normal and you stop noticing it as much. If I then took a break for a while and started up again it would hurt again.

Most of us have eaten grains, dairy, legumes, processed foods, and sugar for most of our lives. How our bodies felt seemed normal to us. But take that out and we become aware of what it feels like to not have them and then we have awareness again. 

• 3 months later...

I still continue to be frustrated with symptoms that I never had before my whole30's. I would like to do more whole30's because of how good they are for me, but I am so freaked out of experiencing even more side effects of eating the wrong foods once I'm off. I have also heard of people who after being off a certain food for a time (such as gluten) they can't even tolerate it when they have it again. I don't want to do that to myself! I was okay with how I felt before the whole30's and was doing it because it was healthy and was curious about it. I wish I would have known this could happen.

Archived