We started 1st Jan. Here's what we did next ...

Semolina

Well, I lost 5lbs. TBH, a little disappointed with that -- which is WHY I NEED TO STAY OFF THE SCALES because actually it is in the right direction and I had a good time eating this way.

Dinner last night was not quite on track: I had chorizo to start (gf), and then pheasant stuffed with apple, wrapped in bacon, with parsnip mash all of which sounds fine but it came with a gravy, which I mostly scraped off (in the spirit of lightening up a little on the restrictions when out) and this morning I am sorry I didn't go for the gammon steak. (Can I say stomach pain?!!) The last two times I have been post W30 I didn't notice responding to anything at all, so not sure what this is. Still, it's all learning, right? But, no (visible obvious) sugar, no alcohol, so that's all good. And it's straight back on with it for me.

How is everyone else???

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lost 2 lbs, maybe a bit more because I haven't been able to hydrate properly the past two days, and am quite bloated. Planning to drink lots of water today! I'm not disappointed with it because honestly I didn't think I would lose any weight - I am almost 40 and 146, which it has taken me some time to realize is perfectly fine. Yesterday for dinner I had leftover Moroccan beef, cauliflower rice, spinach/rainbow chard sautee, and half of one of those Costa Rican name veggies. This time I had cinnamon and coconut butter on it. I also made chai with full-fat coconut milk, since I'm out of olives and avocados and I didn't feel like eating some coconut. It was plenty of fat, I am only just now hungry!

I'm reintroducing dairy today, so breakfast is a sort of porridge made from pumpkin, the rest of the full-fat coconut milk (I got one of those tiny two serving cans), and goat yogurt. Lots of cinnamon, some nutmeg, a dash of clove, some ginger. Separate from that, two eggs and some spinach. Lunch will be more spinach/rainbow chard sautee with some goat cheese on it, venison stew, sea snax, coconut, and pineapple. Not sure about dinner, but there will be more goat cheese. Maybe a big old salad with some feta and chicken and olives!

I am doing goat and cow dairy separately because I highly suspect I have a problem with cow dairy. I was at a friend's house over the holidays and he made hot chocolate with cow's milk. I had a cup, and I felt really awful. However, I am doing goat dairy first because I suspect that if I did cow dairy first and goat dairy was LESS awful, I would lie to myself about it. "It wasn't as bad! I must be ok with it!" So we're doing goat dairy today, fresh off the whole 30, because then it will be clear.

The weekend will be whole 30 compliant meals (Semolina's leek and chicken pie sounds good), and then on Monday I will reintroduce some non-gluten grains. For me this will mostly be rice and quinoa, and occasional corn or oats. So that's what I'll have those days. I will not have any problems with super bowl parties because I don't care for American football, so I am going to use that day to do my grocery shopping when I will have the whole store to myself, maniacal laughter.

Alliath The sauerkraut is 'dill and garlic' and found at Earth Fare (our lame version of Whole Foods) in the cooler section.  The brand is wildbrine.

So, today I'm 'going out for beers' with a friend after my dance class.  Trying to decide.  I don't really like wine (we are just beer drinkers) but thinking I am going to get wine tonight and see.  I read on a wine blog that IPA lovers would like Pinor Noir as it has less tannic acid than others?  Maybe I'll try that.  I have always stayed away from wine because of the higher alcohol content and a 'bottle' is easy to drink.  But maybe when I'm out if I order glass by glass it will work better for me especially since I am cheap and won't want to pay $7 a glass or whatever the heck they always are.  Ideas?  Other wines for pale ale lovers?

Other than that plan to stay compliant.  Only going to social drink and not at home.  Not drinking beer on Sunday as I'm the DD for my husband.   

Life after Whole30.  Sigh.

There were a few times in the past 10 days that I almost fell off...but I did it. I successfully completed W30 and feel so proud!

As I've said before, I'm not continuing on with the program. With that said, I have developed a better relationship with food. I think I will keep my sugar to a minimum and really savor the times I do allow myself to have it (like with my hazelnut macchiato this morning!!!). And I can't wait to have a glass of wine tonight. :)

I lost about 5-7lbs, but also tried not to lose a lot as I'm already a size 2.

I wish I could say my skin completely cleared up, but it didn't. That's just me though...I've always had issues with my skin.

Thank you all for your support and sharing the past month. You are a great bunch of people!!!

I lost 2 lbs, maybe a bit more because I haven't been able to hydrate properly the past two days, and am quite bloated. Planning to drink lots of water today! I'm not disappointed with it because honestly I didn't think I would lose any weight - I am almost 40 and 146, which it has taken me some time to realize is perfectly fine. 

I'm 44 and my goal is to be between 140-145.  Even in my 20s when I was fit and trim I was around 130-135 and I am short (only 5').  I am just Greek peasant stock and that is my body type.  I have about 10 pounds to lose I think to be there but I'm not weighing :)  I was about 150 last summer and felt good enough.  I exercise a lot and just refuse to go on an 800 calorie diet for life to be under 140.

Good morning!

Ok, so I added a bit of cheese to my hash this morning and you know what? It adds nothing to the flavor. hah. So that's not going to happen again. :)

I actually have very little desire to eat much of anything I haven't been eating regularly except for chocolate. So I'm just going to go with that while it lasts. I know we're going out to dinner tomorrow night and it will be nice not to stress too much.

I weighed in this morninig too. 

I've lost about 7 lbs.  I didn't have much to lose - and totally not why I did the Whole 30 to begin with, but what a nice side effect from cutting out the rest of the garbage from my diet.  (Mostly Cheese, I'm from WI - we eat A LOT of cheese here!)

I don't plan on reintroducing cheese back into my diet on a regular basis.  Maybe the scoop of ice cream every so often.

Not reintroducing anything today.

I need to think about what I'd like to add back, if anything.

Happy Friday all!

Steph

Good morning!

Ok, so I added a bit of cheese to my hash this morning and you know what? It adds nothing to the flavor. hah. So that's not going to happen again. :)

I actually have very little desire to eat much of anything I haven't been eating regularly except for chocolate. So I'm just going to go with that while it lasts. I know we're going out to dinner tomorrow night and it will be nice not to stress too much.

This was my experience after my last one.  I did not miss dairy as much as I would have thought.  I do enjoy a really sharp farmer's cheese but not anything that you really melt :)

Out of curiosity, did any of you take before and after measurements as well? Your body composition can change more than the scale during a Whole30.

I didn't but I can tell by the fit of my clothes.  I can wear yoga pants under jeans I couldn't wear comfortably a month ago, etc.

Out of curiosity, did any of you take before and after measurements as well? Your body composition can change more than the scale during a Whole30.

Yeah, minimal measurement changes for me. 1 inch waist, 1/2 inch hips and bust. My challenge with measurements is I lift, so they can go UP and in some situations I'll be pleased with that. :) I just want the waist to go down! But one cannot spot reduce, of course.

This was my experience after my last one.  I did not miss dairy as much as I would have thought.  I do enjoy a really sharp farmer's cheese but not anything that you really melt :)

RIght? I can see myself really loving an aged sharp cheddar with something apple (I hesitate to say the "p" word), but a bowl of like mac & cheese doesn't appeal to me much. That's a fairly big change from my first Whole30 where I couldn't WAIT to have cheese back.

I lost 3.4 pounds (148 to 144.6 at 5'7 and 50 years old). I thought I would lose more, but I'm not unhappy about the results. I carry quite a bit of muscle. Unfortunately, I didn't do measurements, but I know that's where my progress is. Clothes fit better and I feel better and no more crazy binges on candy or ice cream!  I'm going to try regular butter (instead of ghee or clarified) on my sweet potatoes and see how that goes. Other than that, I don't think I'll change anything.

I'm down 11.5 lbs & 9" overall!! So pleased :) Still have a long way to go........weight wise AND also knowledge wise learning to eat & cook this way.  I have been blessed with good health, in spite of my love/hate relationship with food & emotional eating, and want to keep the good health thing going!! I am going to reward myself with either a hard copy of ISWF ( I have Kindle version.......can't find recipes worth a darn on it) or Well Fed II.......which would you all recommend?

Need to go set my Feb goals this weekend.  I know that one will be to stay compliant with the exception of the wedding on the 8th.....and I will do the best I can there but am going to enjoy being with wonderful friends on a special day (I took care of the groom when he was a newborn & they have lived next door his entire life).  I plan to hit reset on the 1st of every month and decide which way I will go. Second goal is to add exercise this month. I did some walking last month but not nearly enuff. 

Keep posting those good recipe ideas......that has really helped me along the way!!

Hey all.  Glad some of us are carrying on.  I consdiered having a glass of wine to "celebrate" being done tonight, but then I reevaluated and thought, a better reward would be to keep treating my body nicely.  So no wine for me!  I'm glad the habits are sticking.  I am going to try to go another 30 days.

GFChris: I did take my body fat with both a caliper and also on one of those new healthstation things that are popping up in groceries. I just woke up late this morning and didn't have time to check it. So I will do both of those tomorrow and report here! :)

Helen: ARGH NOOOO, the website says they have that at a store downtown here, and I was JUST THERE YESTERDAY and didn't think to look for it. Ah well, I will swing by on my errands Sunday! :)

So I lost 10 pounds which is certainly nothing to sneeze at.  Unfortunately I didn't take measurements before I started but I plan to do that today.  I haven't been exercising actually (had been too damn tired and was hoping for "tiger blood") but plan to start incorporating it in the next few days.

The last few days have also seen a decrease in the gastric issues I was having (although they aren't all gone yet) and even better sleep.  My skin is in much better shape, except for the chin area but that is probably the hormone replacement, and I was getting more energetic.  However this last week I've started to feel real tired again but there's a very good chance it's my allergies.  My STBX has been packing for his move out and kicking up a lot of dust.  My allergy shot is also due next week so those two together are probably contribuing to the stuffy/sneezy/tiredness I have going on. 

I have a massage scheduled for today and I'm certainly looking forward to it.  I'm also continuing on for another 15 days but I may go longer if my digestive issues warrant it. 

Hi, everyone - is this a reintro thread, or a continuing on thread?

I lost 10 lbs.  Three pounds above goal weight, anything beyond that would be fun but my face starts looking gaunt and I would need some skin tightening everywhere (unfortunately I've abused my skin with too many 50 lb gains and losses).

Restart for me today.  Just trying to figure out which thread is the continuing on thread.

So, Day 1, Part Deux.  Plan: M1 sweet potato hash, fried eggs, chicken broth.  M2 fried sardines and a greek salad.  M3 london broil and roasted butternut squash.

Exercise!  I did not succeed in keeping that goal during Part One.

Succeeded in the no coffee for 30 days.  Drank some yesterday and today.  Still trying to decide if the caffeine is good or bad.

Yep!  I don't weigh myself ever because it's not a healthy metric for me, but I do take measurements.

I am down 3 inches on my waist, 3 inches on the fullest parts of my hips, and 1.5 inches off each thigh.  I have some ab definition in the mornings, but not every day (guess it depends how much I salted my food!).

Excited to follow along with this group.

I took measurements before Jan. 1, and as of yesterday I had lost 1'' off my hips and thighs and 2'' off my waist.  I didn't weigh myself because I don't own a scale, I use the one at the gym, and I have not gotten to the gym in the past few days because of craziness at work (including a fire alarm that had me kicked out of the gym mid-squat yesterday).

Hi, everyone - is this a reintro thread, or a continuing on thread?

I was thinking a carrying on thread (which is what I was going to do) but including those who are sticking reasonably closely to the W30 even if they are adding a few bits in here and there ... I think the post W30 transition thing is REALLY hard (which is why I am thinking I just won't do it at all yet) but we've all got W30 under our belts now, and are getting to know each other and as long as we are supporting each other in our paleo nearly W30 adventure and not sharing recipes for brownies then I figure anyone who wants to carry on here is welcome. If that's not "pure W30" enough for you that's entirely understandable. Equally, this is a shared venture so if anyone else thinks we should do it differently please say.

Hey all.  Glad some of us are carrying on.  I consdiered having a glass of wine to "celebrate" being done tonight, but then I reevaluated and thought, a better reward would be to keep treating my body nicely.  So no wine for me!  I'm glad the habits are sticking.  I am going to try to go another 30 days.

Emily -- me too! I thought maybe I would have a drink tonight and then start again tomorrow, and then I thought "why bother?" What a GREAT place to be in. :)

Burgers and salad for me tonight. Haven't really considered what my goals are for the next month. Stick with another W30, for sure, but I am wondering if I should cut down on fat. (Hmmm ... no, not yet ... maybe if I don't lose weight this month). So, another month just the same. I would like to set the goal of fitting in more exercise but that just isn't going to happen yet. Maybe next time.

My stomach is still very unhappy about what I ate last night. I am quite surprised ... I so haven't had an instant reaction to anything post W30 before (just after several weeks of eating stuff I feel bad). I guess yesterday I had minimal flour in the gravy and maybe some dairy in the parsnip mash ... but my innards are really telling me off right now. A great reason to do another clean 30 days and then maybe I should consider a really formal re-intro.

Hope everyone has a good weekend -- happy clean eating folks!

I'm 44 and my goal is to be between 140-145.  Even in my 20s when I was fit and trim I was around 130-135 and I am short (only 5').  I am just Greek peasant stock and that is my body type.  I have about 10 pounds to lose I think to be there but I'm not weighing :)  I was about 150 last summer and felt good enough.  I exercise a lot and just refuse to go on an 800 calorie diet for life to be under 140.

Both of my grandmothers are/were Greek and I'm exactly the same. I have the petite height but not the petite frame to go with it sadly! I'll never be a waif but I've just got to do the best with what I've got :) The grandmother who's still with us and lives in Greece will always be the first to tell me I got fat, but then try to force-feed me whatever leftovers she has on the go... My family in Greece owned a bakery there while I was growing up. I never stood a chance ;)

I'm planning to stick 90% to W30. Enjoying a small glass of Malbec right now, and will have one more but be satisfied with that.

It's great to see you all on here.

I am on day 28 on my 2nd whole 30 - I only lost 5 or 6 pounds the first time I did it -(in fall) and this time I have lost about 14 lbs and still losing.  I realized this  time  I cut a lot of corners and didn't go so strict the first time and it did make a difference.  I'm doing it more for health reasons but my doctor said my weight was part of my health issues.  (blood pressure and blood sugar and high triglycerides)    Also I had very high inflammatory in my blood test and that is what they are saying is the real reason for High cholesterol.  My triglycerdes are in half - my other marks are all down some - goal for more and still more weight.

So I say all this to say this - my first whole 30 was good and very helpful - by 2nd whole 30 was even better.  Next week I start the re-intro off foods to find out what has been causing the inflammation.  I'm pretty sure it's wheat but dairy gives me congestion so haven't had dairy since I started whole 30 except during first one - allowed a little grated cheese on salads  but this time realized how slack I was the first time - so I have not done that this time.  And I tell you!!  It does make a difference!!

Yay new thread! I almost think having a space like this to stay accountable, vent, and check-in is even more important in the post-whole30 phase than the initial program. I really want to stick pretty close to whole30 rules, but my "minor" could open the door to major backsliding, and I want to avoid that. 

That said, I started my dairy re-intro today: cooked my eggs in butter this morning, had a square of dark chocolate with lunch (grass fed burger patty and raw veggies) and will have a piece of cheese with my well fed pad thai and chicken tonight. I'm not feeling any desire to eat anything more off-plan than that. I'm hanging out with some friends tonight so I may have a glass of wine, depends on how I feel. 

I'll also be babystepping my way back into exercise this/next month, starting with 2 days of strength training and at least 3 days of low intensity walking/hiking/cycling. Fun stuff!

Archived