We started 1st Jan. Here's what we did next ...

Semolina

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I am re-introducing eggs. As I eat them I realize they aren't spectacular. Unfortunately my office is having commercial carpet glued down and I have a headache. I don't know if it is from the three eggs or the fumes. Also, is anyone ever sensitive to baking soda?

My last day was yesterday and I was so excited to measure and weigh myself. Even more excited when I read the results: lost 8 lbs but 14" in measurements! This was my first whole30 but I've been eating clean for years. My biggest challenge was the thought of giving up my nightly alcohol indulgence. Much to my surprise, it was really easy to give it up and I KNOW this is why I lost as much as I did! I plan on continuing with this and will not keep wine or tequila in my home. Social drinking only from now on! I'm 45 yrs old and I am in the best shape of my life! I also do crossfit 3 X's a wk. I may up it to 4 seeing as I'm never sore anymore and have oodles of energy!

So glad I did this! Happiest I've been in years!

Today I am re-introducing eggs. As I eat them I realize they aren't spectacular. Unfortunately my office is having commercial carpet glued down and I have a headache. I don't know if it is from the three eggs or the fumes. Also, is anyone ever sensitive to baking soda?

A lot of commercially available baking soda has gluten in it, I think. :(

Happy to have a place to go through post-whole30 with folks I know.  I lost 3 pounds, 2" from my upper back, 1 1/2" from ribcage, 1/2" from waist, and little to nothing from abdomen, hips and thighs.  Maybe if I stay close to whole30 principles, I can get the weight loss to go lower.    Today I had some almond milk, cocoa and stevia in one of my morning coffees, and had some pb with apple slices this afternoon. 

I do not plan to re-intro gluten because I KNOW it causes me issues, and having even a little makes me want more.  And I'm allergic to dairy, so that stays out too.  Paleo is my plan.  I have about 8 pounds to go to goal (a weight I maintained for a year before suddenly gaining last spring).

I also started Jan 1st. I lost about 6.5 pounds - I forgot the exact number I started at, but it was a bit over 218, I'm down to 212 as of this morning. That's about the same amount of weight I lost on my last whole30, so I'm good with it. My primary goal for this whole30 was to get my appetite under control and slay the sugar dragon. Before this whole30, I was ravenous every 2 hours and felt like I was eating all the time. I'd eat breakfast at 7:45 and have to go eat a snack at my 11am break, then be starving again by 1pm at lunch. Lunch would hold me until dinner, but I was hungry again about 2-3 hours after dinner, right before bed.

Now I can easily go without snacks. I hope that by not snacking and just eating 3 meals a day, I'll be able to lose more weight.

As for the sugar dragon, I think that will need longer to be fully put to rest. I plan to reintroduce dairy today (had compliant breakfast and lunch because they were both leftovers from day 30, but dinner is quiche made with grass-fed local organic heavy cream and feta cheese in it) but otherwise keep everything else the same. No sweets, no grains, no paleoized treats. I'll add back quality dairy a few times a week, but otherwise stick to the whole30 plan for another 30-60 days!

"not all brands of baking powder are gluten-free. Baking powder is made from baking soda, cream of tartar (a bi-product of wine production) and a "moisture absorption agent" which is usually, but not always cornstarch. Other starches including potato starch (gluten-free) and wheat starch (contains gluten) can be used in baking powder products.

Therefore, not all brands of baking powder are gluten-free. According to manufacturer information, the following baking powder brands are gluten-free. Most of these products are available at large and small grocery stores in the United States."

http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/glutenfreecookingbasics/f/faqisbakingpowderglutenfree.htm

"not all brands of baking powder are gluten-free. Baking powder is made from baking soda, cream of tartar (a bi-product of wine production) and a "moisture absorption agent" which is usually, but not always cornstarch. Other starches including potato starch (gluten-free) and wheat starch (contains gluten) can be used in baking powder products.

Therefore, not all brands of baking powder are gluten-free. According to manufacturer information, the following baking powder brands are gluten-free. Most of these products are available at large and small grocery stores in the United States."

http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/glutenfreecookingbasics/f/faqisbakingpowderglutenfree.htm

The previous poster asked about baking soda, not baking powder.

Re-posted from the "contunation of W30 thread"

Hey all... My results are in:

dzunip.png

I lost 11.2 Lbs and three inches off my chest, waist and hips.  I am happy with the 2.6% fat loss and 2 inches off my abdominals.

I am brave so I am happy to post my before and after photos:

Start:  January 1, 2014

30dc9pi.jpg

30 Days:  January 31, 2014

1zqepsp.jpg

Well I am always challenged to see progress in my photos but I will take my progress in my measurements, weight loss and my re-investment in my sound nutrition. 

Well I will put away the scale/measuring tape again for what I hope is at least another 30 days. 

The group has done so well and I am very impressed with the continued progress reports being made!

Cheers

DJ

Re-posted from the "contunation of W30 thread"

Hey all... My results are in:

dzunip.png

I lost 11.2 Lbs and three inches off my chest, waist and hips.  I am happy with the 2.6% fat loss and 2 inches off my abdominals.

I am brave so I am happy to post my before and after photos:

Start:  January 1, 2014

30dc9pi.jpg

30 Days:  January 31, 2014

1zqepsp.jpg

Well I am always challenged to see progress in my photos but I will take my progress in my measurements, weight loss and my re-investment in my sound nutrition. 

Well I will put away the scale/measuring tape again for what I hope is at least another 30 days. 

The group has done so well and I am very impressed with the continued progress reports being made!

Cheers

DJ

I absolutely can see a difference.  Great job - hang in there!

Morning, morning! I wish I'd taken before and after photos but never got round to it! Well, two small glasses of red wine last night were nice but I have to admit not as amazing as I'd built them up to be all month! My meals were all compliant yesterday except for some sulphites in my mustard at dinner. I also had some wasabi and wheatgrass kale chips as a little treat after dinner. These are a rare treat here in the UK that I bought at Wholefoods while in London. The ingredients were all compliant but I felt so guilty for snacking! Not something I plan on making a habit of but a nice change.

Tonight is sushi with a friend. Will probably stick to sashimi with salad and avocado and a bit of white wine... Got to see if that's better than red ;) But after that I won't be drinking for a couple of weeks.

Off to see my Mum today, not seen her for a few weeks and will be interesting to see how much difference she sees in me. Overall feeling good, especially after 9 hours' solid sleep. It was a loooooong working week. Have a great Saturday :)

I cheated this morning and weighed myself again (I know I know I've got the self control of a goldfish). But there was a reason for it, and the scales are now locked up in a high cupboard. As I thought ... my total loss for my W30 was 7lbs which I feel MUCH better about -- though most of that is just getting rid of my Christmas excess :huh: . Still, I am comfortably in my "skinny" jeans again and I think the blip yesterday was due to my non-compliant meal that killed my stomach the night before (who knew a little flour could add 2lbs to your body weight!). Feeling fine again today ... a day of compliant eating sorted me out.

So, I am now 160 lbs, 5ft 7, and 42 YO. :)  I would like to lose more, but a rate of 7lbs a month is totally acceptable to me. And actually, I will be fine with a smaller loss next time round anyway ... I have never ever been below 154 lbs (I lie, I have once but I was starving myself at the time so I don't count that) so I am thinking that whilst I should continue to lose eating like this, if my weight loss slows down that is OK and will probably be good for me anyway as I tend to panic a bit when I lose weight ... last time I did a W30 I got to the point where current "skinny" jeans were too loose, and given they are the smallest jeans I ever owned I couldn't quite bring myself to buy a smaller pair (I am permanently fat in my head) .... then life ran away with me (my dad's illness and death) and I started eating crap again so that dilemma went away for a bit. So for me, from now, I think slow is good so that I can adjust to being a physically smaller person in my head (if that makes any sense. Man, these eating and body image issues are so f****ed up, aren't they?)

I can't get over how I am not remotely tempted by alcohol at the moment. That has never been a post-W30 reaction for me. I am stoked about that. I have now had two opportunities to drink and I REALLY DIDN'T WANT TO. Not even a tiny bit. I am blown away (and delighted) by this!

Eggs, cauliflower and tomatoes for breakfast this morning; chicken salad for lunch (my default lunch -- mix it up with different dressings usually ... maybe a guacamole today); and then I can't wait for dinner: chicken nuggets (dipped in egg and then a mix of dessicated coconut and ground almonds, then baked in hot oven) with lemon roasted asparagus and served with garlic mayonnaise. MMMMMMMMmmmmmmm.

Have a good weekend folks!

Okay, so I do have something weird/funny to tell you about last night 'going out.'  It was an important event for me because my dance teacher is moving and starting a new life in North Carolina and I've danced with her for 12 years and no one else is certified in this type of movement (NIA) in my town.  I ate really well yesterday (Whole30) and drank a Kombucha on the way to the restaurant.  When I got there they all ordered wine while we were waiting for our table and I had a water.  Once we sat down I contemplated wine but I just don't like it so ordered a high grav IPA instead which was fabulous.  There was another woman with us that ordered 'gluten free' tortilla chips which came out and looked exactly like the regular tortilla chips (this is a hippie kind of restaurant not Mexican).  But then, she ordered a hamburger and ate the bun?  It was SO weird.  My dance teacher even mentioned it to her and she said something like 'oh the bun is gluten free' but she didn't order it that way.  Maybe it was but it looked exactly like the other buns other folks were eating.  So, I wonder what would make the 'regular' tortilla chips have GLUTEN in them?  Is that weird?  I thought tortilla chips were always corn and they looked yellow to me.

DJ~~good job!  Love the pics!  

WHOAH y'all. Remember up there where Chris asked if we'd taken measurements?

Well, I didn't take all my waist/arm etc, but I did measure body comp with a caliper.

Went from a reading of 13 to a reading of 11. 24% body fat to 22.number I don't remember. I WILL TAKE IT.

DJ, you are my hero. I am too afraid to post my pictures just yet. I can definitely notice progress in your photos if you can't... you have definitely lost weight around your pecs and middle particularly from what I can tell. It's weird because I am usually the opposite... I will look in the mirror and not notice any progress, and then take a picture and go, "OH!"

I didn't seem to have any reaction to the goat dairy, which relieves me, because really the only dairy I truly care about is some yogurt now and then and some goat cheese now and then on my spinach. I can live without everything else. I will do a reintro of cow dairy just to see/confirm if that is the problem. Maybe it is just milk? I have seen some people saying they can tolerate hard cheese, but milk just undoes them. I will get a small carton somewhere, as I don't drink it anymore.

Two days of compliance now to make sure there aren't any cumulative effects! Breakfast this morning is sauerkraut, spinach and egg scramble, and sweet potato hash browns with coconut butter. Mmmmm!

I think one of my best takeaways from the Whole 30 is just learning more of what is out there. For example: if sweet potato hash browns are JUST AS DELICIOUS as white potato hash browns, why NOT eat the better alternative? If there is coconut milk WITHOUT sulfites and it's available right there at the store, why get the kind with sulfites? If cauliflower mash works just as well and I find them just as delicious as mashed potato (I do) why wouldn't I eat that instead? If there is a chemical-free version of something... why NOT get it instead of the one with chemicals? Why NOT get spices that have ONLY THE SPICE AS INGREDIENTS (the spice must flow). Just learning what was available was good for me. I have discovered toasted nori, and sauerkraut, and this costa rican name yam, and so many other delicious things I didn't know were available.

I also really enjoyed getting to eat things that I'd been conditioned to believe were too fatty and off-limits except as special treats. Y'all already know my sister in law's guacamole on EVERYTHING, but I also really enjoyed tearing up some olives and ghee, two things I already knew I loved, but didn't have that often because you know, FAT IS BAD, FAT IS SO BAD. I have LOVED frying all the things. I never fried ANYTHING before, because again, fat was so so bad, horror story horror story. I have enjoyed putting cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and all the spices that would go in gingerbread on ALL THE THINGS. Chai, sweet potatoes, flaked coconut, name, pumpkin puree... if I thought those spices would be good on it, THEY WENT ON THERE, and it was wonderful, even without sugar. So why add sugar?

I think that will be how my own bike goes... I am reintroducing things, and the things I can tolerate I will work back into the rotation, but I won't eat those things all the time... I have learned too many delicious things that are just as available and just as tasty, and more nutritious, and if there is an alternative that is JUST as delicious, and JUST as easy to prepare and get... why not choose it?

The best benefit I have seen, however, is definitely mental. I have learned to say, "No, thank you, I just don't want that right now." That is worth EVERYTHING to me. Thank you to EVERYONE for helping me through this. The forums have been invaluable, and I appreciate it more than I can say.

... I'm also trying mayonnaise again today. Wish me luck.

I introduced a little dairy yesterday, and, as suspected, my sinuses are acting up mildly today. I do love cheese, and I think I will still have it occasionally and pay the price, but it will definitely be a treat and not a staple of my diet. Was going to have wine last night but was exhausted from a rough week at work and decided to skip it. That was huge for me. I can't believe I did not have wine right away (like, 7:00 in the morning after my whole30, lol).

I was at the health food store today and planned on getting some gluten-free bread for my non-gluten grain reintroduction. I was reading the labels, and I realized...there is absolutely no nutrition in that stuff. Like, 2 grams fiber and 1 gram protein for 100 calories (there was more in the organic dark chocolate I bought!)? OK, maybe the gluten free waffles...nope. I guess I never really thought about it before. I thought I ate healthy, but no wonder I was hungry ALL THE TIME when I was eating even a moderate amount of grains. No wonder I couldn't lose weight because I just could not be satisfied with 1300 calories of...nothing.

So, I've decided that anything like that is a treat just as much as chocolate and wine are (maybe even less). The only reason to eat something that is not going to nourish me physically is if it tastes absolutely heavenly. And I'm telling you, some gluten free bread does not taste heavenly.

This is what I hoped for. Just to be more aware and make conscious decisions about what I eat. I hope I can stay in this mindset.

I took before and after pics, but I honestly don't see any difference. I'm the kind of person who doesn't necessarily see it in the mirror, but I definitely see the change in pictures, but I seriously don't see a change from a month ago. In fact I don't even see much of a change even from last year, but I was mostly paleo before doing the whole30, so that might have been the reason. I'll just keep on eating whole30 style + dairy and try to get in the habit of exercising every day again and hopefully in 6 months I'll see a huge difference!

Well, no adverse affects from yesterday's dairy reintro yet. Fingers crossed that remains true tomorrow which will be tricky because I was unexpectantly invited to a superbowl party. None of my friends are remotely into sports, so I pretty much forgot that was a thing until someone suggesting having a superbowl commercial watching party. It shouldn't be too bad. The hostess knows I'm "eating really healthy" so she's making a batch of wings sans breading or sauce (so sweet) and there will be a veggie platter for me to snack on instead of chips. I picked up some frozen scallops last week that I haven't done anything with, so I'm thinking of bringing bacon wrapped scallops. 

jodea - I totally get what you're saying about the wine. I had the same reaction to my dark chocolate yesterday. I was expecting WOW and got just okay. Oh well. I'm honestly way more excited about the peppermint tea I bought earlier in the month but just tried yesterday. I wasn't expecting it to be so peppermint-y. Love it!

Tried to have my usual sweet potato/veggie/sausage hash for breakfast only to realize I'm out of sweet potatoes. So sad. I doubled up on the veggies and it was fine, but I will be heading to the grocery store later today to make sure this doesn't happen again. 

I'm on Day 2, Part Deux.  I have a tough work week coming up, so staying compliant helps me not go off the rails completely.

I made some Paleo Pizza on my break day with an almond meal crust - it was really good!  I liked it better than wheat flour crust.

I have LOVED frying all the things. I never fried ANYTHING before, because again, fat was so so bad, horror story horror story. I have enjoyed putting cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and all the spices that would go in gingerbread on ALL THE THINGS. Chai, sweet potatoes, flaked coconut, name, pumpkin puree... if I thought those spices would be good on it, THEY WENT ON THERE, and it was wonderful, even without sugar. So why add sugar?

This made me giggle. I love it.

I have posted a "I did the Whole 30!" thingummy on my FB page. It felt like I was telling the world a dirty secret, but I did it because this WAS my third go-round, and this is important to me, and I wish more people would find out how good it is, so I did it! I know most people won't know what it is, or follow the link, but a few might. It took me several years (10?) from me first finding out about Paleo eating (which I immediately thought was a good idea but that it simply wasn't for me because it was too difficult) to actually doing it, so I figure the more exposure people get on the drip drip drip model it might make a difference for someone. I wish the picture didn't say BOOM! though. I don't really say BOOM!

Archived