We started 1st Jan. Here's what we did next ...

Semolina

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, everyone!  Happy post-Whole 30!  I stayed compliant yesterday, day 31, and hadn't really made a firm re-intro plan.  Then when I got up this morning, DH had made an egg scramble with veggies and cheese and butter.  So I decided that today was dairy reintro.  I don't know if it's psychological or not, but upon eating the eggs I almost immediately got a drippy nose, and then a headache.  Then at lunch I had a salad with local beef, oil and vinegar, bacon and a slice of cheese.  Again, immediately got a drippy nose and my headache worsened.  And now also have some bowel discomfort.  I am thinking, "Really?  THAT fast?"  Holy (dairy) COW.  And FOGGY, I feel so foggy!  WTH? 

I literally feel so bad (oh, my head,) that I think I'm not even going to add any to dinner.  Forget that crap.  Oh man.  I remember last time I did a whole 30, I actually did 6 weeks, and then I went out with my boyfriend (now DH) and had a big bowl of ice cream.  Spend the next 3 hours curled up on the bed in the fetal position while alien warfare raged in my stomach. 

So-- apparently dairy is a NO NO for me. 

Tomorrow, back to totally compliant.  DH wants wings for the superbowl and a bunch of other crap.  I'm going to look up a compliant wing recipe, which shouldn't be too hard I think.  Hopefully.  This week is my son's 13th birthday, and I'd like to celebrate with him with some good desert.  We're going out to dinner, so not sure how I'll handle it.  Maybe I'll try to make whatever he wants for dessert AND some paleo-style "treat" for me. 

Oh, I didn't weigh before my whole30, because I didn't want it to put me in that "success means losing x pounds" mindset, but I did measure my waist (at my belly button.)  I lost 2 inches there, which I figured, because my pants fit wayyyyy better.  (Yay!) 

I was really sure that cheese, at least, wouldn't affect me like this.  My husband says that "maybe I'm just getting sick," because there has been this awful sickness going around (and both he and my son have had it).  But I guess we'll see after I am compliant again.  If I feel better, we'll know.  Right now, I'm feeling it's a direct dairy consequence.

Uggg... I want my clear head back!!!!!

Stayed compliant yesterday, but today reintroduced dairy.  I also cooked some sausage for lunch that had some sugar in the ingredients, but I think I actually like the plain ground pork better!  I had butter and cream in my eggs-- couldn't even tell the difference.  Then I had a little cheese dip with some pepper slices this afternoon, then i had some melted cheese on my steak with pepper and onions.  I also used butter on the green beans.  I feel fine so far, but the funny thing is, as much as dairy is the one thing I thought I couldn't live without, it kindof grossed me out.  It didn't taste bad, but it seemed like the texture, or idea of it when I was eating made me a little gaggy.  Especially the melted cheese on the steak.  I think the steak would've been better without it!  So I guess I'm not as addicted to cheese as I thought.  I think I'll still eat good cheese once in a while, but I guess I don't need to add it to all my meals like I used to do.  I did cheat a little  with the reintro and had regular potato hash browns with our steak and green beans because they were quick, but I don't think I have any problems with those, I just shouldn't always eat them in place of nutritious food.  

As far as the wine goes, I've actually had a bottle sitting on my counter all month.  I figured that Fri or Sat. would be good nights to try it out, but I didn't really have the urge, so there it still sits.  

Thanks Semolina for making this thread! The reason why I think I was so successful with my whole 30 this time was because I actually used the forum, plus I learned so much from you all so I definitely will be keeping accountable here.

On Day 33! Yesterday I finally had my 120 min full body massage and facial! WOAH I thought I died and went to heaven. Today I  feel fabulous, my fat pants are loose on me and it feels great to be in control. I won't be going back to the way I eat, I've been preaching paleo to all my friends and coworkers for a month so, how could I go back?? Everyone knows me as a health nut, I rather keep it that way too lol.  

Ohhh and yeah, I found coconut flour in the Commissary today and I bought it!!! We don't get many health foods overseas so it's been difficult and expensive, but I do my best and its been working so far. Also I found a coconut water and bought one today, its from Hawaii and its completely compliant, nothing added! So yummy.

This month I'm going to focus more on working out at least 3-4X a week both strength training and sprinting or running!

post-32403-0-20592200-1391328438_thumb.j

Hey peeps. Had a bit of a fail/realisation. Had some nice white wine last night (although, again didn't taste as nice as in my head!) after going out for sushi - a huge plate of different fish sashimi. The sushi place wouldn't just chop up some avocado on the side for me and their salad looked really lacklustre, so when we got home I had some almonds with raw cacao and kale chips from my Wholefoods treat stash. That was all very yummy and I felt okay, although it was not strictly necessary to have that much...!

Anyway, the real problem was the wine. I woke this morning after 5 hours' sleep with my heart racing feeling anxious about work. I've been suffering from anxiety over the last few months and am currently attending a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy group to tackle it. I had been feeling a lot better in January and now realise that alcohol definitely exacerbates my symptoms. So out it goes for now unless it's a special occasion.

Time to expand my tea and coffee collection ;)

Hey peeps. Had a bit of a fail/realisation. Had some nice white wine last night (although, again didn't taste as nice as in my head!) after going out for sushi - a huge plate of different fish sashimi. The sushi place wouldn't just chop up some avocado on the side for me and their salad looked really lacklustre, so when we got home I had some almonds with raw cacao and kale chips from my Wholefoods treat stash. That was all very yummy and I felt okay, although it was not strictly necessary to have that much...!

Anyway, the real problem was the wine. I woke this morning after 5 hours' sleep with my heart racing feeling anxious about work. I've been suffering from anxiety over the last few months and am currently attending a Cognitive Behavioural Therapy group to tackle it. I had been feeling a lot better in January and now realise that alcohol definitely exacerbates my symptoms. So out it goes for now unless it's a special occasion.

Time to expand my tea and coffee collection ;)

I have the same issue.  I think I read in The Hormone Cure that it is your cortisol revving up that wakes you up and the alcohol influences this (maybe being metabolized?).  I don't have the book anymore but I have noticed if I drink more than 1 beer that I wake up about 3 am and my mind is racing.  

I had 3 beers on Friday night over a 4 hour period with lots of water in between and yesterday all day I felt like total crap.  I don't really drink at home ever anymore but I do enjoy going out with friends occasionally to have a drink but I am going to have to limit myself to 1-2 max and make sure I eat fat and protein at the same time.  It is hard because as a mom and a teacher it is a nice outlet to go have a drink with friends and relax etc.  But after yesterday I don't want to feel like crap so not sure how this will play out in my life.  I used to drink a beer in the evenings and gave that up and don't miss it.  Maybe I'll be able to have one beer and switch to club soda and it will be fine too.  

Wondering what everyone is doing for the Super Bowl?  I didn't watch much NFL this season but I'm from Tennessee and so love to hate Peyton Manning (while everyone around me idolizes him, I'm a rebel like that, lol).  We are going over to a friend's house who is a great cook.  She is making Mexican and I've decided to just have the fillings which will mean a little cheese but I'm okay with dairy and no alcohol because I'm the DD tonight plus not really interested in it.  

I was W30 all day yesterday and it felt so good!

Wondering what everyone is doing for the Super Bowl?  I didn't watch much NFL this season but I'm from Tennessee and so love to hate Peyton Manning (while everyone around me idolizes him, I'm a rebel like that, lol).  We are going over to a friend's house who is a great cook.  She is making Mexican and I've decided to just have the fillings which will mean a little cheese but I'm okay with dairy and no alcohol because I'm the DD tonight plus not really interested in it.  

I was W30 all day yesterday and it felt so good!

We're staying home for the Super Bowl-- I've planned to make wings with BBQ sauce, but totally compliant.  I found a recipe for Beastly BBQ sauce on Civilized Caveman website, which I'll make, and I'm doing the wings from scratch, from a recipe I found on Pinterest, I think.  DH also asked for shrimp tacos, which is easy to make compliant for me (just eat the insides) and with tortillas for him.  And then I bought avocados for guacamole and plantains to fry.  Yummy!  It'll be an evening of snacking, but when I eat compliant, I tend not to snack TOO much.  But we'll see. 

I have the same issue.  I think I read in The Hormone Cure that it is your cortisol revving up that wakes you up and the alcohol influences this (maybe being metabolized?).  I don't have the book anymore but I have noticed if I drink more than 1 beer that I wake up about 3 am and my mind is racing.  

I had 3 beers on Friday night over a 4 hour period with lots of water in between and yesterday all day I felt like total crap.  I don't really drink at home ever anymore but I do enjoy going out with friends occasionally to have a drink but I am going to have to limit myself to 1-2 max and make sure I eat fat and protein at the same time.  It is hard because as a mom and a teacher it is a nice outlet to go have a drink with friends and relax etc.  But after yesterday I don't want to feel like crap so not sure how this will play out in my life.  I used to drink a beer in the evenings and gave that up and don't miss it.

Yup, I've felt like crap all day. So not worth it. Like you, I think one or two glasses of red wine or cider will be my limit from now on and I'm definitely off the booze for a while again. The funny thing is I told my friend how it made me feel and she tried to rationalise it saying it's because the weekend is half over and it's normal to feel anxious about work. Err, no, it was clearly the wine that woke me after 5 hours' sleep!

Had a bit of dairy today in the form of a scoop of gelato and a hot chocolate. The only thing dairy seems to give me is a slight sore throat. It's not something I'll have a lot of but I do like a hot chocolate as a treat now and then. Looking forward to a compliant week ahead and not feeling as tired and tearful as I have today.

I have that problem with alcohol too! If I drink it, I'm going to wake up at three in the morning. That's just the price of it. Hank Williams Jr also never spoke truer words than when he said "The Hangovers Hurt More Than They Used To."

I'm more of a baseball girl, so I'm just slugging it out at home like a slug. I was going to go to the grocery store while it was on so I could have the WHOLE STORE TO MYSELF MANIACAL LAUGHTER, but I was basically out of food, so I went yesterday morning instead. Trader Joe's was CRAZY GO NUTS.

I didn't find the sauerkraut Helen found, but I bought some plain and some horseradish kind (there was also caraway), and I just added some garlic powder and dill to the plain kind. :) Helen you are right IT IS REALLY GOOD.

Compliant today so far, but I'm really hungry.  I've had a pretty similar breakfast and lunch as I have all month, but I was already hungry by 2pm.  Maybe it's my monthly hormones, or maybe it's just my mind telling me I could eat some snacks if I want too, I'm not sure which.  The things I'm craving are chips and chocolate, so I'm thinking it's more hormones.  

On  a positive note, I finally weighed myself this morning and I was down 5-7 lbs!  My scale isn't very accurate so it's somewhere in there.  I didn't actually think I was losing much, although my face looks a little thinner.  Yeah!  

I'm sure we'll watch the superbowl, but we're just staying home and I don't have any snacks planned.  I'll be making reuben casserole tonight for the family, and I'm planning to either eat leftover steak and veg or maybe just the corned beef and sauerkraut heated up together.  

Oh one last thing--while the dairy yesterday didn't cause me any digestive issues, just the grossed out feeling--I did wake up this morning and both wrists were sore.  I have recurring arthritis bouts in them, especially my left.  It may be just a coincidence, but I'll go without dairy a couple more days and then try again just to see.  

Hey Everyone!

I'm not sure about wine, but when I drink alcoholic drinks with my friends, boy do I not sleep well. The more I drink the less sleep I get and I end up paying for it the next few days. Such a waste of time...

We get today (Monday) off to watch the Super Bowl, at least those who don't work in the wards do, so I feel like I should watch it, plus I'm from Seattle! Not sure if I can stream it on my computer to watch...hmmm I dont have cable just interent. I'll have to figure it out.

I'm about to start my monthy soon, and I hope its not as bad as last time! Crossing my fingers :)

I sit here in Washington state cheering for my Seahawks! I had a Paleo margarita last night and yup, woke up at four am after two weeks of perfect sleep. I did indulge in potato chips and cream cheese today. I feel less than stellar, but it's junk food, so I'm not surprised. I think I will need to stay mainly AIP, probably for life. Luckily I didn't think it was that hard and I like the food so I'm not bummed.

Well, I wasn't going to challenge wheat, but I guess now I am.  Had lunch at MIL's, and the chicken was breaded, and she made these yummy yeast rolls. So I just ate without worrying about it.  Had some of my dd's pizza with my hamburger and salad (it was just crescent rolls for the dough, tomato sauce, and sausage--she's allergic to dairy too). 

Def more bloated (look about 5 mos pg), and having some gas issues.  We'll see how the hands and feet feel tomorrow (I suspect wheat is a culprit in them hurting). Also have a mild headache.

Will be back to compliance the next 2 days to clear it out.

Yesterday I was compliant and felt great.  Today I had a great breakfast and then went shopping with my 5 year old for my older daughter's birthday present.  We went to Target and they were remodeling and it took forever and we couldn't find any Winx dolls (don't ask).   I bought her Goldfish which are a 'treat' in our world because they are like kryptonite for me and I tend to buy them snacks with less sodium like Annie's cheddar bunnies.  We go to Toys R Us and finally find the dolls and have to line them on the floor forever to decide.  Finally a decision!  I decide to swing by the bookstore (to get my daughter what I want to give her) and on the way of unbuckling the booster grab (you know where this is going) a handful or two (or three?) of Goldfish.  Salty.  Good.  But crap.  Oh my god.  I really have no brakes with salty crackery carbs like that.  So, good lesson.  

Went to friend's house for Super Bowl.  Know I would not be compliant but this was planned.  Had a diet coke (did not feel like water, must remember to bring myself beverages) and I made a plate with meat, a little cheese and this yummy spinach queso dip I love.  Except it was all 'meh'.  I can really take it or leave it.  Which is SO EXCITING to me because this is not how I felt after my last Whole30.

Other news, I weighed. I lost 8 pounds.  I had gained 8 pounds since my Halloween to Christmas binge so not all that exciting.  I feel neutral about it (okay I really wanted the scale to show I'd lost 20 pounds!) but it was also a motivator to go back to healthy, nutrient dense foods. 

I am making a meat loaf in the morning and grilling some chicken for the week.  Plus I have my sauerkraut :)

I didn't realize there was a re-intro period and planned my whole30 for a bad time (you know how it days do a whole30 after all your major special occasions? Well the 30 was before them, the reintro was interrupted), so I have not been doing things as they should be done which is actually super interesting.

Things that are totally tasteless and not food: the first three bites of my favorite donut (the fourth bite I was back into it), mcdonalds breakfast sandwich, sweet potato French fries, Swiss cheese slice.

I had non compliant food at a very fancy restaurant, and it all tasted like food, but when you start with amazing fresh ingredients and then cook it well, I suppose it should.

So the moral of the story is that I will be trying to whole30 as much as possible and figure out what I can tolerate with all these crazy events coming up. I had stomach cramps and GI discomfort yesterday which I attribute to all the junk in Mcd's (there really was not an alternative - I did try.)

So at dinner I ended up ordering a burger with no bun and no sauce and hot tea with nothing in it, and my friends were like "you're free now!" but I really don't want to be.

Tried Greek yogurt today which I am hoping I can tolerate bc honestly, I'm tired of eggies

Compliant today so far, but I'm really hungry.  I've had a pretty similar breakfast and lunch as I have all month, but I was already hungry by 2pm.  Maybe it's my monthly hormones, or maybe it's just my mind telling me I could eat some snacks if I want too, I'm not sure which.  The things I'm craving are chips and chocolate, so I'm thinking it's more hormones.

I was the same on the weekend afternoons. I think it was psychological as I could have had a snack now I'm not strict W30. Yesterday it definitely wasn't helped by the wine induced tiredness but I also realised my restaurant lunch of chicken and prosciutto salad was low on protein and fat so I fixed myself a mini meal in the afternoon and that really helped. It reminded me I need to stick to the template at meals if I don't want to feel hungry between meals.

Planning on a a compliant week ahead. And looking forward to it!

I am somewhat disappointed that the sugar dragon is not dead. Yesterday if there had been raisins in the house I would have snarfed the lot. Luckily, there weren't, because I had snarfed the lot a few days previously. The chocolate, which has been sitting on a  shelf since Christmas without bothering me, is now singing my name. SIGH.

Definitely the next 30 days without dried fruit. I am OK with fresh fruit (though I don't tend to eat much ... and never more than twice a day) but dried fruit is just the devil in healthy food disguise. Given I got to this way of eating because I know I am overly sensitive to blood sugar fluctuations anyway I'm not sure why I even went there. Hey ho. It's all learning, right?

Late breakfast today: roasted asparagus, roasted carrots and eggs. Not sure about the rest of the meals, but left over roast chicken is likely to feature! Yesterday I ran out of easy to eat protein options in my fridge which didn't help me beat down the sugar dragon. My organization is starting to slip, at the minute and it will be hard to pull in back this week: the kids are off school today (random teacher training day) and I have two big deadlines for work this week.

Still not even slightly tempted by alcohol. Go figure!

I have decided to stay mainly compliant, but am introducing bacon, store-bought mayo (epic homemade fails!) and the occasional chocolate treat. Enjoyed my bacon and mayo, but the chocolate...really wasn't as nice as I was expecting! And I had what I can only describe a a sugar hangover yesterday, after Saturday's indulgence, urgh! Headache and nausea! I bought some cacoa powder, and have made some raw vegan brownies, which I will indulge in as an alternative once a week, tasted much nicer!

Ohhh and yeah, I found coconut flour in the Commissary today and I bought it!!! We don't get many health foods overseas so it's been difficult and expensive, but I do my best and its been working so far. Also I found a coconut water and bought one today, its from Hawaii and its completely compliant, nothing added! So yummy.

You want coconut fibre if you can find it anywhere.  Amazon sells it, but I think this is the proper website.... http://www.cocowell.co.jp/fs/cocowell/c/fiber  

I had 3 beers on Friday night over a 4 hour period with lots of water in between and yesterday all day I felt like total crap.  I don't really drink at home ever anymore but I do enjoy going out with friends occasionally to have a drink but I am going to have to limit myself to 1-2 max and make sure I eat fat and protein at the same time.  It is hard because as a mom and a teacher it is a nice outlet to go have a drink with friends and relax etc.  But after yesterday I don't want to feel like crap so not sure how this will play out in my life.  I used to drink a beer in the evenings and gave that up and don't miss it.  Maybe I'll be able to have one beer and switch to club soda and it will be fine too.  

Poor hubby ate loads of sweets on Friday and then slept terribly Friday night, then he had quite a few drinks on Saturday and was still feeling a bit poorly today... This morning before he left for work he said he didn't realise how good he'd been feeling until today.

I had a few drinks on Saturday as well, but found that I didn't really have the stomach for drinking.  Both beer and cider just left me feeling really heavy, so much so that I didn't really fancy another drink. Thus it was an early night for me, I stopped in Tesco on the way home and considered buying myself a treat of some sort, but nothing in the entire shop looked appealing.  And my stomach hurts far too much today to be a result of what I had over the weekend.

M1: grated swede (think hash browns), sauteed spinach and fried eggs for breakfast today.

M2: leftover chicken curry with cauliflower rice

M3: fish and roast veg

Good morning!

So Saturday was an off-road day for me (I've already reintroed in the past, so I was ok with this) and I still stuck fairly close (salad, ahi tuna)... save for the booze that hit my like a ton of bricks!  :rolleyes: 2 drinks and it was OVER for me. I guess my tolerance is way low. 

things that didn't taste great - cheese and bread. I just don't care any more. Things that tasted awesome - a piece of dark, dark chocolate. This might be what heaven tastes like. :) 

Anyway, today I'm back to my breakfast hash. Lunch is a meatloaf I made last night (meat, veggies, coconut cream, almond meal and eggs) and spaghetti squash with olive oil. Dinner will be chicken of some sort. Pretty typical day. My plan is to stick to things as closely as possible except for those times I make the real decision to off-road. Because it makes those special things taste SO much better! 

Made it thru the weekend & have stayed compliant so far.  I really wish I didn't have to plan for the wedding coming up this weekend!! I really haven't planned anything for reintro as I want to stay on as close as possible until March 1st.  My focus this month is going to be adding exercise.  I didn't do much of that last month......was busy prepping & cooking  :) Now that I have that somewhat under control I'm feeling more confident about trying to add another facet to my healthy journey.

We fixed a pork loin roast in the crock pot and it had all this wonderful "juice".  I tried to thicken it with almond flour & all the flour did was float to the top.....yuk!!  Did I do something wrong.......just stirred it in like I would flour?  What do you all use to thicken....I think that is one of the things I have missed.  After all I'm a southern girl & I love my gravy!

I'm going to have to look for the sauerkraut when I go to Whole Foods this week.  I grew up hating the stuff but maybe my taste buds have changed over the years.

Everybody have a good week!!

So I was super okay with not needing to do Whole Foods for breakfast meat and regular store for everything else until I looked at the ingredients on the bacon and sausage! I am not going to limit myself to the compliant breakfast meat at whole foods (mine has one flavor of compliant sausage and two flavors if compliant bacon), but I am definitely buying it there.

I don't have a problem with sulfites, but why do they need to be in EVERyTHInG? It's just creepy. Sticking with WF bacon and sausage!

We fixed a pork loin roast in the crock pot and it had all this wonderful "juice".  I tried to thicken it with almond flour & all the flour did was float to the top.....yuk!!  Did I do something wrong.......just stirred it in like I would flour?  What do you all use to thicken....I think that is one of the things I have missed.  After all I'm a southern girl & I love my gravy!

Arrowroot powder works far better than almond flour, IMO, though there is some question as to who considers it acceptable and who doesn't. I use it, and find no ill effects from it, but your experience may vary.

So I was super okay with not needing to do Whole Foods for breakfast meat and regular store for everything else until I looked at the ingredients on the bacon and sausage! I am not going to limit myself to the compliant breakfast meat at whole foods (mine has one flavor of compliant sausage and two flavors if compliant bacon), but I am definitely buying it there.

I don't have a problem with sulfites, but why do they need to be in EVERyTHInG? It's just creepy. Sticking with WF bacon and sausage!

Do you have a Trader Joes?  Cheaper than Whole Foods.  I have replaced bacon in my diet with prosciutto I think :)  It is really salty which I like and easy to cook with eggs.

Archived