We started 1st Jan. Here's what we did next ...

Semolina

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Semolina, I made your leek chicken mushroom pie yesterday for dinner (with some of my first batch of successful mayo, SO HAPPY). I put some kale in mine as well, because it was right there and I wasn't sure what else I was going to do with it before it went off. IT WAS SO GOOD. I did use the name yam as a crust, and it worked beautifully. I don't know if you can get them where you are (they are new here, and I hope they stick around). I grated mine and just stuck it on the top. I didn't even have to squeeze water out of it (and trying doesn't work anyway, they seem to have less water, and it is thicker like the stuff in okra). Anyway, the grated yam crisped up really well. Thank you so much for the recipe. SO. GOOD.

Tracy, I am glad paleo works for you! I know so many people who have had such great results. I am even more glad that it is helping your kids. I still think you are a modern day superhero for all you are doing for your family AND other people's pets. You are awesome, and if no one else tells you that every day, tell yourself it (and pretend I am telling you it, because I pretty regularly think it when I see your posts). Also specifically, thank you for being an emergency vet, from me and from Penny and MoonUnit the cats.

I love crock pot pork loin! The first time I made it, I was completely baffled by the instructions. My friend told me to just throw it in there and leave it alone, and I was like, "with nothing else? No liquid?" I simply did not believe that enough would come out for it to stew in its own juice. I trusted her and did it, and when I went home that night it was like there was magic in the crock pot. LOOK AT ALL THIS! HOW DID THIS OCCUR? A WIZARD MUST HAVE DONE IT!

This morning I had the pumpkin "souffle" from up in the "breakfasts without eggs" thread, some sausage, and coffee with full-fat coconut milk for M1. It was so good! M2 is Semolina's delicious leek chicken mushroom pie, some sugar snap peas, some raw red cabbage, carrot ginger soup, one handful of green olives, one handful of black olives, and gingerade kombucha for lunch. I am looking forward to it! M3 will be a chicken breast with scallions and mustard sauce, brussels sprouts, sweet potato wedges, and half an avocado. I might also make asparagus soup to have for breakfast tomorrow.

AND I had the following conversation with myself this morning:

Me: I feel thinner. Maybe I should weigh myself?

Me 2: Why would you do that?

Me: Well, I feel thinner. Maybe I've lost more weight. Good, huh? So I should weigh myself!

Me 2: Would it make any difference to how you are going to eat today or tomorrow if you find out you have lost weight -- or not?

Me: No.

Me 2: So why weigh yourself? Does it matter what you weigh?

Me: No. (Blinded by the light of revelation that my weight doesn't matter)

(Scales stay in cupboard. Loud applause.)

Totally did this today!

How's everyone doing today? Just had a lovely dinner... Grilled rib eye steaks with steamed spinach and cavolo nero and roasted Brussels sprouts and chestnut mushrooms drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and some horseradish sauce (non-compliant). I can practically feel the iron levels rising!

M1 was scrambled eggs, fried prosciutto and roasted vegetables, M2: roasted salmon on a bed of spinach, carrot, green pepper, sweet potato, black olives, capers and almonds drizzled with olive oil and balsamic. I also had a mini meal after work - that hunger again! Couple of carrots, prosciutto and hazelnuts.

I also managed a nice walk despite horrible winds here. It always feels good to get out! I was in search of good almond milk but the one I usually get is out of stock and the others had nasties in. I'm still really craving milky drinks so I got a lactose free milk to try. It's an experiment... I'll report back!

Report on semi skimmed lactose free milk: tasted good with a vanilla Rooibos tea bag steeped in it. Not as much of an after taste as normal milk. Will have as an occasional treat with cocoa or tea... It finally got cold round here so I'm seeking comfort drinks!

The sugar dragon is out to get me, and it is pissing me off, so I am staying away from all the sugar (I think it's because my W30  is "done" somewhere in my mind I'm allowed now, or at least there's a chink in the armour, and the sugar dragon is trying trying trying to get through.) I'm quite pleased I have resisted so far, and hope it settles back down again.(There is chocolate in the house: but there will be chocolate in the house for the foreseeable so I need to be able to just ignore it.) Alcohol is just not interesting to me at the minute, which is good ... and I am still firmly in "can't imagine eating any other way" mode.

Yesterday I was super hungry, but made do with tomatoes, HB eggs and mayo in the middle of the afternoon. Today is cook-up day: work is very quiet as I work with people on the East coast (US) who have all been snowed in and had power cuts and I'm at a stage in the project where I've done all I can and I just need to be nagging other people to get their bits done in time. Means I will be delivering the project late, but I think snowstorms count as an act of God, don't they?

So, making baba ganoush, roasting butternut squash, tomatoes, and cauliflower today. My ankle swelling is up again at the moment ... don't know what that's all about, but at least I'm fairly certain it's not food related.

Think I need to dispose of my baggier jeans. I wore them yesterday and I think it made me feel hungrier because I had all that room to fill in my jeans (baggy bits round my bum! WEIRD). Into my skinny jeans today, but I've only got one pair. Can't decide if I should buy another pair this size, or go one size smaller. Eeek!

Happy eating, kids.

Hello all. I guess I'm not 100% whole 30 now as I had some white rice the other night. I'm increasing my running to 4 days a week and thought some extra carbs would be beneficial. Or at least I'm trying it out. Last night I had a banana for dessert, which I know isn't off plan, but its unusual for me. There haven't been any negative consequences though. For me, I think the key is having dinnner as my carb heavy meal.

Tracy - you're amazing. I can't imagine all the things you do for the love of your kids.

Semolina - way to go on keeping the sugar dragon beat down. Maybe you can go to a thrift store for jeans and get both "now" jeans and "later" jeans? 

I did a cookup yesterday, too.  Roasted butternut squash, kabocha squash and sweet potatoes; asparagus-broccoli-bacon soup, chicken cacciatore to use up all my shredded chicken from making broth, and nomnompaleo kahluah pig in the slow cooker.  Today will make yet another double batch of chocolate chili.  And I got a bunch of grass-fed chuck roast on sale at a price equal to corn fed.

Dad broke both his hips this week, one in a slip/fall at a restaurant where the power went out and left him in the dark in the bathroom, and one when he got released to rehab too soon after his first hip surgery and fell getting out of bed.  I assume he'll have his second hip surgery today.  Then I get to find a good personal injury attorney.

Wow, Tracy, when it rains, it pours! I sure hope your dad's surgery goes well and that he heals quickly. Hang in there.

Dad broke both his hips this week, one in a slip/fall at a restaurant where the power went out and left him in the dark in the bathroom, and one when he got released to rehab too soon after his first hip surgery and fell getting out of bed.  I assume he'll have his second hip surgery today.  Then I get to find a good personal injury attorney.

Semolina - my work trousers were embarrassingly baggy all of a sudden today! As you say though, not necessarily a good thing as I might think I can sneak more bad stuff in...

Today has been straight up compliant so far. Hungry again so had a post work mini meal. No problem. I made a new recipe from comfybelly.com, Mexican chicken soup, for dinner. Very tasty. I also managed to track down some decent almond milk so may treat myself to a cocoa later. Even better, the almond milk was on sale at Tesco - three for £3. The best things come to those who wait!

M1: smoked salmon and roasted vegetable frittata with two eggs

M2: prawn and vegetable broth with sesame oil plus roasted vegetables and hazelnuts

M3: small mackerel fillet, carrots, sun dried tomato dip

M3: Mexican chicken soup with avocado plus an apple

Just roasted myself some more vegetables for breakfast times, too and wanted to make some mayo but have run out of steam... Bit of a weird day for me -I just found out my grandmother in Greece passed away today and it's hard being so distant. She'd been unwell for some time so it's a release for her. I'm visiting there in a couple of weeks and just can't wait to get there now and see my dad.

Jodea-Sorry about your grandmother! I know it is hard to be far away and am glad you are going to see your dad. You will be in my thoughts & prayers! 

Today has been hard for me.  I haven't had time to do a real cook up & have been eating pretty much the same thing. Think I'm getting a little tired of everything and don't know when I am going to be able to do a real cooking day!! Have managed to stay compliant but I want something NEW!  It has been really cold, at least for us in this part of the world, and my taste buds are screaming for heavy duty Mexican food.  Haven't been able to get my cookbook reward for finishing my Whole 30 maybe that would put some zing back into my rotation.

Going to have be very careful this weekend with the wedding on Saturday.

Jodea-Sorry about your grandmother! I know it is hard to be far away and am glad you are going to see your dad. You will be in my thoughts & prayers! 

Today has been hard for me.  I haven't had time to do a real cook up & have been eating pretty much the same thing. Think I'm getting a little tired of everything and don't know when I am going to be able to do a real cooking day!! Have managed to stay compliant but I want something NEW!  It has been really cold, at least for us in this part of the world, and my taste buds are screaming for heavy duty Mexican food.  Haven't been able to get my cookbook reward for finishing my Whole 30 maybe that would put some zing back into my rotation.

Going to have be very careful this weekend with the wedding on Saturday.

Thank you for your kind words :)

You should give the Mexican chicken soup I had a try. Just the ticket for winter days and really simple. I just reheated a batch for my lunch today... It's at comfybelly.com. I have it on my Pinterest board - I'm imaginatively called Jodea on there!

http://comfybelly.com/2014/01/mexican-chicken-soup-quick-easy/#more-16401

I know what you mean, it can all get a bit samey. Just keep thinking about how good you feel not giving in and eating convenience foods. And don't worry too much about he wedding and pressure yourself too much. Remember, it's a special and joyous occasion. Put thoughts of food to the back of your mind for a day and enjoy the celebration.

Huarache Gal -- I took your advice! Went to a charity shop and bought two pairs of jeans: one, the size I am now; one a size smaller -- and I am GETTING RID OF my baggier jeans. I spent £8. Woo-hoo!

I am full of the joys of spring today. I am literally stopping myself from skipping everywhere. I know how those lambs feel! (The sun is out at the moment, but we are due another storm which is going to flood all of our roads again.) It's a bit bizarre. I haven't had this much energy since I was 6 weeks pregnant 7 years ago ... (!)

Tracy -- so sorry to hear about your dad. It's draining. I am a responsible carer for my aunt, with dementia, and up until he died, my dad. I also care for my mother (who doesn't have dementia, but still needs someone keeping an eye out for her.) You've got loads on your plate. Hang in there.

Jodea -- sorry to hear about your grandmother. Miminette -- good luck! Enjoy yourself.

Well, weekend coming up! I think we are going to be an island -- the flood waters are rising as water is coming off the fields and we have more rain due tonight so I suspect both of the roads out from where we live will be impassable. One is already, but I think we will be truly trapped over the weekend. Must brace myself for a weekend of amusing the kids within these four walls.

Kerala prawn curry tonight. Already looking forward to it.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

Well, so far my main meals have been fairly compliant, except for a few ingredients here and there.  I've been using butter a little more for sauteeing, and I'm eating up the cashew butter that had safflower oil in it.  I haven't had any other dairy than the butter since the one day I tried cheese.  My main indulgence has been the white chocolate macadamia cookies my husband made from my son's wrestling fundraiser cookies.  So far having a couple cookies for the last 3 days has been my only grain re-introduction.  I know they're full of junk, so I'm going to try hard to only have homemade indulgences, and mostly paleo onces at that, from this point on.

I shouldn't complain about not having issues, but I sometimes wonder if it would be easier to stay on track if I actually did have some sort of food issue upon reintroduction.  As it is, nothing I've eaten has caused me any problems.  I'm going to go with the plan of eating mostly paleo/whole 30 foods, but not feeling guilty about a few ingredients or a few indulgences here and there.  Life is too short to stress every minute over food! For the first few days (and even now still) I keep feeling like I'm breaking the law when I eat something off plan, which probably isn't a healthy way of feeling either.   I'm not saying that I'm not going to do another Whole30, maybe this spring/summer, but in some ways the mindset caused me more stress/obsessing over food than normal.  

Jodea,  I found a yummy sounding recipe on nourishedkitchen.com for golden milk--a creamy turmeric and ginger tea with coconut milk.  It sounds great, although it does call for a bit of honey.  I'm sure you could leave that out.  Sorry I don't actually know how to link pages.  

Have a great weekend everyone!

Jodea, I found a yummy sounding recipe on nourishedkitchen.com for golden milk--a creamy turmeric and ginger tea with coconut milk. It sounds great, although it does call for a bit of honey. I'm sure you could leave that out. Sorry I don't actually know how to link.

Ooh, thank you, I'll look that up. I go through phases of craving hot, milky drinks. When I went travelling a few years ago I became obsessed with cocoa. Even in Rio in 90 degree heat I was seeking it out!

And I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to obsess. It's very easy for me to cross that fine line and then get in to the "What the hell" binge mentality, which is a dangerous road for me. I'm managing the balance so far but treading very carefully. Having a couple of glasses of red tonight but that's it. Maybe a cocoa later!

Today has been good. Still hungry, still having four meals, still truckin' on:

M1: smoked salmon and roasted vegetable frittata (2 large eggs)

M2: Mexican chicken soup and avocado

M3: Mexican chicken soup and hazelnuts

M4: grilled pork chops with steamed asparagus, spinach, cavolo nero and spinach and Well Fed mayo plus some red wine

It's the weekend! Phew!

I shouldn't complain about not having issues, but I sometimes wonder if it would be easier to stay on track if I actually did have some sort of food issue upon reintroduction.  As it is, nothing I've eaten has caused me any problems.  

I didn't have any issues the first two times, either ... at least not straight away. After a few weeks of eating way off track, though, I noticed I didn't feel so good. No immediate stomach cramps or anything like that, just generally not feeling quite as good as I had been.

Still really proud of myself for staying off alcohol. Last night was Friday night, and we managed to launch my project into the wider world and there was definitely cause for celebration. I gave myself permission to have alcohol ... but when it came down to it I decided I wanted my mocktail more, which is what I had, and I didn't feel AT ALL DEPRIVED. Go me!

We are not isolated today, which is a relief. The kids are out so I should be working again, though don't really feel like it.

Went skiing yesterday with hubby and friends. I knew the lodge didn't have anything healthy. I ate a big breakfast (sausage, eggs and sweet potato). When we took a break at the lodge, hubby and friends had burgers and fries. I ate half a burger patty of hubby's with cheese and later, ate the big salad I brought (spinach, carrots, red pepper, green pepper, tomatoes with olive oil and some salt). It worked out really well. I was hungry when we got home and ate a banana, sardines and some almond butter. Kind of a strange combination, but it worked.

For me, planning is key. Not to say I won't ever off road, but I'm trying to stay ahead of having the wheels come completely off, which is what brought me to Whole 30.

Today I'm taking my dog for a run in the snow. He absolutely loves it and it gives me great joy to see him enjoying it so much.

Gah! I'm having a really hard time getting motivated to plan my meals for the week so I can go shopping today. I only have a handful of recipes that I really, really, really love enough to eat about every week, but at the same time, I don't want to eat them EVERY week because I'm afraid I'll get sick of them. I also tend to get tired of things quickly, and always like to have a lot of variety, but I love those recipes that are just wholly delicious and easy and turn out perfect every time - very hard to come by I've found. Oh well, better get to it!

Hi everyone - just checking in.  I've had a busy weekend between special needs child stuff, dad stuff and work.  Stayed on the plan.  No exercise.  Giant cookup the other day was helpful.

Good idea going to the thrift shop for smaller clothes.  I just fit into my final box of too smalls.  They are from 10 years ago and look pretty dated stylistically, but it was thrilling to fit in them.

Hi all, been an odd few days here emotionally. Feeling anxious about work next week and leaving tonight for my work trip. Also with my grandmother and planning our trip - we're going away travelling for a year in April which is wonderful, but a lot of planning and prep needed in advance. Plus my other half doesn't always pull his weight around the house...

That said have been pretty good food wise and not given in to binges. Yesterday went a little like this...

M1: smoked salmon frittata with roasted vegetables and Well Fed mayo (obsessed)

M2: mackerel and spinach salad with veggies and more mayo... Plus an apple

M3: prosciutto, carrot and mayo (!) plus almond milk cocoa

M4: salami and Sicilian olives with salad followed by grilled sea bass and salad plus roasted veggies, hot chocolate (this was out at a restaurant) I asked what type of salad came with the fish and they said just salad. When it arrived it was full of bread and Parmesan! I picked around it but was glad I ordered roasted veggies on the side. Grr. Fed up of places padding out their salads with bread rather than vegetables. I notice it a lot now.

We went to the cinema after to see Wolf of Wall Street (good but not for the faint hearted!). While there I keep thinking about the Paleo brownie I had stashed in the freezer. I ate it when I got home. It was so good, a real treat.

A few treats are making their way in but I still feel in control at the moment. I'm a bit concerned about eating away from home the next few days but just have to do my best.

Did unplanned off-roading yesterday: I felt dreadful (headache most of the day) and then DH came home with some Cadbury's mini eggs and a French stick. I have been successfully avoiding chocolate, but the mini eggs (combined with me feeling dreadful) did me in: and then having had some of those I had some bread and butter as well. I didn't go overboard on either of those, but I did have some of both. Have banned DH from bringing mini eggs to the house again. I had no ill effects from the bread and butter, but ultimately I don't want to be eating that stuff as a matter of course.

Interestingly, I am not beating myself up about it. I'm like "meh. I wanted it, I had it, move on" which feels really healthy. I had a compliant dinner, again didn't have wine (although again, I gave myself permission -- had one sip of DH's to see if I wanted it, and I really didn't) ... and had a normal W30 breakfast again today so am feeling like I am TOTALLY in control, which is quite big. In the bad old days, if I fell off a "diet wagon" it was like opening the floodgates and I ate everything that I had been depriving myself of almost as fast as I could. I guess that's the difference: I really, truly, don't feel deprived eating like this.

I tried prosciutto yesterday for lunch ... fried up with chicken and then into a salad with a mayo / lemon / shallot dressing. Man, it was good. Unfortunately it's quite expensive (or fortunately?!) or I would be snarfing at that stuff at every meal.

Vian -- totally know what you mean about getting bored of the meals. Here are some of my favourites -- if any of them sound inspiring I'm happy to share the "recipes". (I rotate these with less exciting things: Bolognese; chilli; burgers; pork meatballs etc)

1. Spicy chicken with pomegranate and avocado salsa, served with salad (had this last night -- to die for. Originally was served with tortilla, but I have salad instead now)

2. Roast pork dressed with coriander and cumin, served with lime and coriander coleslaw

3. Kerala prawn curry (with coconut milk) served on riced cauliflower

4. (Special treat) Duck salad with mango and chilli salsa

5. Chicken, leek and mushroom pie

6. Mediterranean roasted fish with tomatoes, olives, basil and pine nuts 

7. Salmon wrapped in prosciutto and baked, served with wilted spinach and a slice of lemon

8. Pork or lamb "chops" served with orange and radish salad

Can't be bothered to do my normal roast today, so we are having chilli for dinner tonight, and I am roasting up some pork tomorrow, which I will then also use in a Jamie Oliver curry sauce the day after. It's nice to give myself a break from cooking. Am excited to have some leftover avocado and pomegranate salsa to go with my chicken at lunchtime.

Jodea -- good luck with eating away from home. It's tough -- do the best you can and don't sweat it too much. Leastways, that's what I'd do.

Not sure how much work I've got for next week, which in some ways is good (it's been crazy) and in some ways not so good (I only get paid for work I actually DO ...!).

Chiropractor's appointment on Monday. My neck is frozen (source of yesterday's headache) ... I love going to the Chiropractor. I am not so good with massage, but a good bit of chiro sets me straight.

Thank you Semolina. I'll see what the hotel restaurant has to offer later...!

I get my prosciutto from Lidl for £1.99 a pack. It's the exact same brand as you get everywhere else but at least a third cheaper. Their smoked salmon is amazing too - £2.99 for 200g. There's a Lidl near my hotel actually... May just live off of that!

Urgh. Not so good today. Did baking with my son, who has been begging to make jammy dodgers for weeks and so we made them today. I have baked several times since doing W30 and not so much as wanted to touch any of it. Plain biscuits, though .. I had three (admittedly little ones). But unlike yesterday I don't feel fine about it, and I don't feel in control, and I'm now wondering if it's having some sugar yesterday has widened that chink in my sugar armour. The dragon has broken through. I think I need the structure of defining a set number of days where I will be completely clean to wrest that control back. So, I think it will be a W14, starting tomorrow. Sigh. Was it worth it? Totally not.

I had my daughter's seventh birthday party.  I had planned to not worry about it but this weird thing is happening to me.  I ate a W30 breakfast and then the rest of the day I really didn't eat much of anything.  I was busy (14 kids total, insanity!) and I did have 2 beers (don't feel bad about those) and I had a small piece of cake but other than that I didn't eat the chips or salsa or cheese or yogurt/spinach dip or hummus.  Just kind of didn't eat except baby carrots and some nuts.  And, I know if I had prepped some meat or had some Whole30 stuff I would have eaten it.  So, this feels kind of like a breakthrough to me.  I remember reading in one of the blog posts someone asking 'Is sheet birthday cake really 'special'? and I realized you know to me it really is take it or leave it.  The same with a lot of this stuff.  So, my new goal?  Have food I can eat at the parties.  Also, eat ahead of time (I ate a big late breakfast and that helped with the not eating at the party).  Also, I bought the $5 cheap pizzas for the kids and a lot of the parents were eating it and I almost had a slice and then thought to myself "You know what?  If you want to eat pizza go to the Tomato Head where it is fresh and they use good ingredients  not this crap."   

Do I feel totally in control?  No.  But there is a shift for me.  Normally I would SCARF the potato chips and I didn't even have a single one.  And today I had a great breakfast and am planning to eat healthy (which for me means nutrient dense foods from as good of sources as I can afford) today.

Urgh. Not so good today. Did baking with my son, who has been begging to make jammy dodgers for weeks and so we made them today. I have baked several times since doing W30 and not so much as wanted to touch any of it. Plain biscuits, though .. I had three (admittedly little ones). But unlike yesterday I don't feel fine about it, and I don't feel in control, and I'm now wondering if it's having some sugar yesterday has widened that chink in my sugar armour. The dragon has broken through. I think I need the structure of defining a set number of days where I will be completely clean to wrest that control back. So, I think it will be a W14, starting tomorrow. Sigh. Was it worth it? Totally not.

Unless I'm on a W30 I really have to take it day by day.  I try to do a W7 and then fail and feel bad about it.  This is a learning curve for all of us!  Sorry about the sugar dragon.   :(

Archived