We started 1st Jan. Here's what we did next ...

Semolina

Labs are back and I'm very happy. My naturopath said that all my numbers are "optimal". :D

I can't remember the exact numbers, but total cholesterol was in the 180's, HDL was 89, which my naturopath thought was amazing, LDL was also in the 80's, which is perfect. fasting glucose was good, metabolic rate is good, thyroid hormones are in the ideal range.

The only thing I have to compare to pre-whole30 is from 5 or 6 years ago when my total cholesterol was somewhere around 150 and my HDL was only 39 and LDL was I think just over 100. 

So, HOORAY!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello! Is anyone there?! Keeping on keeping on here. Mainly W30 with the odd treat - some drinks at the weekend and a scone the size of my head with clotted cream and jam on Sunday.

I was away with work (again) this week and did well avoiding the sugary treats we were surrounded by all day but ended up bingeing on chocolates in the evening after a few glasses of wine. I was tired but it was no excuse. Still, have dusted self off and not been tempted to be super strict.

I'm wary of slipping back into a diet mentality. I want to enjoy my food.

I haven't been on here in awhile but things are going well. Still doing the same, basically the Perfect Health Diet. Still haven't had anything with sugar. I'll be going out of town soon so that will be a challenge. But I can usually find something compliant to eat. I will definitely miss my chickens' eggs though!

Hey, everyone.  Well, today I am officially really achy.  I completed the January Whole30 (my third) but then have been on and off off-roading for Feb and March.  Well, I am physically exhausted and achy.  I am ready to get back on the wagon, too.  it's been a tough work month but things should settle down soon.  My gym has some bikink boot camp that starts the 25th - maybe I'll start my new whole30 that day.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey team....

Well I am checking in but suffering from some off-roading.  OK... Actually, I ate whatever was around for about the last 4-6 weeks (that counts as a little right). 

I am back to good (W30) eating for the last two days.  I did not do well.  The psycology of eating is pretty interesting.  I would eat crap, feel down about poor choices, feel crappy due to "gut rot" then immediately focus on what I "could" eat next.  I am back up to pre-Jan 1 weight and feeilng pretty unhealthy.  I have continued to do my workouts and had some better days of eating but also some really, really poor days of eating.

I don't beat myself up too bad but I really do see my eating as a scale between good (W30) eating where I am in control, feel great and healthy to bad eating where I feel crappy & regretful, lack any control and repeat horrible eating choices in a never-ending cycle. 

With that said, the W30 protocol always provides a safe landing spot for when I am ready to gain control again!

Nice catching up with the messages in the group here!

Cheers

DJ

Great to hear from you.  I feel the same way.  I've been eating like crap and feel like crap.  Yesterday my husband asked me if I had put on weight.  NOT a good way to score brownie points with the wife.  I planned to start back on April 1 but had a rough time of it.  Tomorrow it is!

I am going to set myself up for success.  I know we are going for a big family Easter Weekend at my Sister-in-law's house in two weeks.  I am going to eat "well" between now and then and allow myself to enjoy some of the food/traditions on Easter Weekend.  I will then re-commit to a Whole 30 (or more) post Easter.

This makes the most sense for me now and, I think, helps to make my goals successful, without too much dissapointment.  The "put on weight" comment does hurt but sometimes we need that kick in the pants to re-focus when we drift away from centre. 

Cheers

DJ

I just jumped into the April 1 group, with an April 9 start date.  We don't have any big plans for Easter and should be able to create a delicious compliant meal with little difficulty.  I can live without the Easter candy.

I offroaded a lot in feb and march. Husband and I are doing a whole 30 (I started a fb group) and we are on day 9. Feels so good!! I have been worrying that I am doing sort of disordered eating patterns of binge/purge but I figure if I can do 3 or 4 whole 30s a year that are focused on health maybe eventually the binges will become less frequent or severe? Would love your thoughts on this....

Hi everyone

Good to hear from you!

Here's been my recent experience: I off-roaded post our W30, felt really crap, did pretty much another whole one and have off roaded to varying degrees since then.

At the moment I am eating pretty well: mostly W30 with some (like two squares every other day or so) 85% chocolate, one or two glasses of wine a week, and almonds (not off plan, but ya know ...). Otherwise squeaky clean. I'm really happy about that.

But here's the thing: it doesn't feel like a choice anymore. I feel SO ILL whenever I go off plan. This has never happened before. When I'm on plan I feel great. I go off plan and I almost immediately feel like I'm dying -- my foot swells up, my abdomen HURTS, my back hurts. I look at other people eating crap and wonder if they feel like they are dying as well and just ignore it and eat through it. I wonder if I felt like I was dying before but had normalised it so much I didn't notice.

I have concluded that the more you do W30 (so I have done nearly 4 in under 12 months plus several episodes of long stretches of clean eating) my body has become REALLY intolerant to anything else, which is a double edged sword. Mostly I'm happy about it because there are very few will power discussions with myself anymore. (Let's see, do I want to eat that piece of cake and immediately feel that I am going to die, or shall I pass? Eat that sandwich because it is in the shop and quick and easy, and SUFFER FOR THREE DAYS or wait til I'm home and whip up a chicken salad?)

So Helen, my experience is that the more you do it, the more you do it.

Tracy, good luck with it! Hope it goes well.

I have discovered new (to me) chicken nuggets and I love them: cut chicken breast up, drizzle olive oil on them, roll around in ground almonds mixed with salt and paprika, put in oven til cooked; eat with mayo and salad. YUM. Quick. Painless. On plan. Delicious.

I am without an oven (have moved house and our oven is broken) so have no roast veg but the weather is good and I am eating a lot of salad and have found compliant smoked salmon so I have a breakfast that is working for me at the moment.

Archived