Sucralose.

69_Stacks

• Moderators

You've already taken a HUGE step - looking at yourself and your habits honestly!

I quit soda quite a long time ago but one of the best discoveries I made during my first Whole30 was Kombucha -- it isn't particularly sweet, but gloriously fizzy, tart-sweet, and full of probiotics. Start with a little at a time so your gut can adapt.

Some of my favorite flavors - GT's Gingerberry, Cosmic Cranberry, Gingerade, Strawberry Serenity. You can find this stuff at Whole Foods, and some other stores, depending on where you live. I put mine in a fancy wine glass to drink with Meal 3.

Good luck!

There are two things that I like to drink, other than water, just for a change of pace.  The first one is a small glass of sparkling water (ice cold) and if I'm feeling fancy I'll put in a slice of citrus or a few frozen berries.  It seems to calm my stomach if I'm feeling a little unsettled and if I am having a craving it helps with that.  The second one is weak iced tea - I put a tea bag in my giant go-tumbler of ice water and just let it sit.  The result is weak iced tea that for some reason doesn't make me want to add sweetener but is a very satisfying change from plain ice water. 

69_Stacks,

You're correct that the W30 isn't primarily about weight loss.  However, I was insulin-resistant and the W30 re-set my metabolism so that I am once again insulin-sensitive, which means my body is sending the correct signals to the brain and my cells and what-all-ever to burn fat.  I believe it's because of this that I lost about 24 pounds on my first W30, and even adding in some amounts of grains and sugar back to my diet, without making any other changes I lost another 15 pounds over the next couple months and kept it off without trying.  I think it was just my body getting back to where it was processing my food in a healthy way.  I should probably lose another ten pounds, and if I could get in the habit of exercising I'm sure it would happen.

My main point is, you mentioned understanding how the keto diet burns energy but didn't know how the W30 does.  I am not sure of the official answer - I am not a moderator or even a long-time member - but for me, the energy burning appears to be because my metabolism was re-set and I now burn fat appropriately. 

I'm not trying to talk you out of doing the keto diet, just sharing my experience with W30 and how it worked for my body.  If you do decide to do the W30 at some point, I hope you are happy with your results.  For me, it is very easy to maintain a mostly W30 diet after the 30 days - as long as I back away from the Lucy's GF cookies and the organic gummy bears. 

Good luck in your journey!  I hope you find a way of eating and living that works for you.

While certainly not the "ticking time bomb" study damning sucralose that you are looking for, one of the most recent studies of sucralose shows that there is the very real, distinct possibility that it IS a problem.

"Splenda, Sucralose Artificial Sweetener, Could Affect Body's Insulin Response"

06/03/2013 "Published in the journal Diabetes Care, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis researchers found that sucralose, most popularly known by the brand name Splenda, has effects on the body's responses to sugar (glucose) -- which could thereby affect diabetes risk -- despite the fact that it has zero calories.

"Our results indicate that this artificial sweetener is not inert -- it does have an effect," study researcher M. Yanina Pepino, Ph.D., research assistant professor of medicine at the university, said in a statement. "And we need to do more studies to determine whether this observation means long-term use could be harmful."

Apologies in advance for the threadjack, but torielle, if you don't mind me asking, how did you know when you became insulin sensitive again? I ask because I'm also insulin resistant and have been on metformin for years. My blood sugar is within normal levels when I'm on the metformin, so a glucose test wouldn't do tell me much, as far as I can figure out. I'm no longer terribly overweight (lost ~55 pounds about ten years ago - I'm now at the upper normal/lower overweight end of the BMI scale), but do have stubborn belly fat that I'm afraid is a symptom of that IR.

Tina:

I'm still not really sure how the whole fat burning thing works on Whole30, but your thoughts about it are probably accurate. They should especially be true for someone who has excess body fat; if not, then not so much.  There would have to be a decent amount of fat intake since it's low carb.  If a caloric defecit is created, then weight will be lost regardless of where the fuel is coming from (however inefficient).  I wonder if that was Toriellie was getting at (I don't know a whole lot about insulin resistance, so I didn't completely understand ;-).  I dunno.  I'm not really thinking straight.  I started the ketogenic diet 2 days ago, and I'm coming down with carb flu alright.  I'm just about running on fumes.  It's a real otherworldly experience, lol.  I will definitely be sure to update if it doesn't work out.  I've been eating soooo much fat.  Ugh.

Thanks to all for the great beverage suggestions.  Canada Dry used to make diet cranberry ginger ale that was fantastic (artificially sweetened, of course).  Maybe they still make it, but I can't find Canada Dry on the West Coast.  Kombucha really sounds awesome.  I haven't seen it in any of our local stores but I'll be sure to check it out at Whole Foods.  I could really use the probiotics.  Several months ago I had to endure a botched root canal and ended up taking several rounds of antibiotics.  And sparkling water! How could I forget about sparkling water? I'll be sure to pick some of that up from the grocer tonight.  Thanks for the friendly reminder!  :-)

Archived