Adult Bed-Wetting on Whole30

mmajum01

Hi All,

My husband and I are on Day 9 of our first Whole 30! So far so good on my end - despite a pretty nasty bout of carb flu. Hubby was doing EXTREMELY well - not a complaint to be heard... Until this morning at 4 AM when he seemingly wet the bed for the first time in his adult life. He hasn't wet the bed in at least 15 years (he is 27 now). We are a bit alarmed and of course, he isn't feeling great emotionally as a result. With his permission, I've come onto these boards to seek guidance and advice from the Whole9 community.

I've found some stuff on PaleoHacks about this: http://paleohacks.com/questions/182959/paleo-and-adult-bedwetting.html

But the guy in question seemed to wet his bed late into adulthood - which is not the case for my husband.

Hubby is in the best shape of his life; lifts and kickboxes several times a week and has continued to do so on the Whole 30 program... He sleeps soundly and has no chronic health problems as of yet. The only thing he's been doing differently is the Whole 30. Prior to the Whole 30 he had a real affinity for sweet things and starches, so I know he's inevitably cut a lot of carbs out of his diet. Yesterday, I think he had no starchy carbs (he skipped his evening sweet potato because he was too full after dinner!); I'm wondering if this might be the issue - based off of inferences from the PaleoHacks thread.

Any help would be really great. This experience has been wonderful for us so far, but if fear of wetting the bed continues, it'll put a pretty substanital crimp on the emotional well-being we were hoping to achieve by doing our first Whole 30.

Thanks so much guys!

I had not really thought of it before but I almost had the same problem a few times this month. Background - I have had trouble sleeping for years and years. Tough commute/lots of travel/stressful job/not eating well. I am a very light sleeper and pre-whole30 would wake up multiple times but always 2-5 am I would be wide awake. Also, I drank maybe one glass of water a day on a really good day.

So flash forward. Goods news, I have been sleeping way better. I sleep like the dead. 9 pm, bam tired close eyes OUT until 7 am.  I am also drinking a gallon of water a day (throughout the day). There have been a few times where I literally wake up and think "bathroom NOW NOW NOW NOW and have to RUN.  I have just made it every time to the point one night I was almost in tears over it.  

It went away week four.  So I guess I am only telling you my experience to ask if it might be was he a light sleepr and now he is a heavier sleeper and just needs to re-adjust? Did he drink little water before and now drinks a ton (and possibly late at night when he realizes "crap, I forgot to drink my water today/"

Thanks for the reply soulrich23! He's generally been really good about drinking water and I don't think he's drinking anymore than he used to. BUT I do think that he's sleeping deeper, which may have messed up his "wake up and pee" signal. It hasn't happened again since we've made sure that he eats a sweet potato with dinner/close to bedtime, so fingers crossed!

Archived