Started today, January 31!

Rach321

I didn't see any other threads with this start date. Anyone here with me? 

I was feeling pretty good until about an hour ago. I think it's because I'm hungry, but I didn't plan well enough to bring a snack with me to work in case. I'm very sleepy and have a bit of a headache. Oh, I just remembered I have a can of kipper snacks (smoking herring packed in water) in my desk drawer. I'll snack on that while I type. ;)

For breakfast, I had about 5 ounces of turkey liver and gizzards sauteed in olive oil with a small microwaved sweet potato (without the skin). 

For lunch, I ate about 5 ounces of simply seasoned pork roast, a big (3 cup) salad made with red leaf lettuce, a chopped carrot, juice from a fresh lemon, and 2 tsp olive oil. I finished my meal with a small kiwifruit. 

I'm excited to start this process!! I decided a week ago that I would do this, and I've been eating mostly grain-free and sugar free with just a little dairy (milk in my coffee and parmesan cheese). The major exception was a piece of cake I ate on Tuesday to celebrate my 33rd birthday. Overall, I eat mainly whole foods, but that does include a lot of whole grains, beans, and dairy. I avoid sugary drinks and desserts, and mostly sweeten with raw honey. I typically eat 5 small meals a day-  green smoothie for breakfast, egg/nuts and a piece of fruit as a morning snack, leftovers from dinner the night before for lunch, another afternoon snack (fruit, nuts, candy bar or cookie from the break room if I forget to pack a snack), and a full dinner. Avoiding snacking/eating enough at meals so that I don't get hungry between is going to be the hardest part for me. I'm looking forward to the weekend so I can be at home to figure out what my body really needs in terms of food. 

I am starting this challenge as I've had pretty consistent tightness/pain in my right shoulder, I get tired most afternoons, and my digestion doesn't always work the way it really should. I also have a sugar dragon (I think that's the right word?) that shows up many afternoons. My mom has been diagnosed with IBS, went paleo/ SCD when she was really sick, and now eats a mostly paleo diet. She encouraged me to try it. I look forward to the results!

Hi there. I'm starting about the same time as you -- about a week behind, really. I think I should have gotten more prepared, as far as prepping meal plans and whatnot but I'm just going to forge forward and I'll work it out along the way. I'm very lucky because where I live, there are lots of whole food resources -- 6 great natural food stores, a huge farmer's market (which I should be at right now but I'm feeling kind of crappy due to preprogram overdose on carbs and sugar) and farm and meat CSAs. Let's keep in touch! I could really use some encouragement. Should we start a new topic called Jan/Feb Rooting Us On Club?!?!?!

lol

Suzie

Hi Suzie!!

We can do this!! :)

I'm home today so I resisting the urge to snack. I definitely need to make a trip to the store. I'm a bit more limited in choice unless I drive an hour to the nearest city, but we do have a medium size food co-op in town where I can get some good things.

What are you planning to eat for the most part? I really like seafood, so I'm planning to eat it every few days to keep myself motivated. I'm also craving fruit a lot, which tells me I should probably hold off on eating much of it for a bit. I need to stock up on a greater variety of veggies. I'm getting tired of spinach and lettuce already. ;)

Today will be my big shopping day. I actually felt pretty terrible yesterday and slept much of the afternoon. A little better this morning. Luckily I had some pretty good stuff in the house so was able to eat well yesterday before getting to the market. Today I have to go for some staples -- ghee and coconut oil, meats and veggies, a bit of fruit. I'm going to plan out a menu for the week and do some cooking when I get home. I do much better when things are planned ahead of time, otherwise, if I'm just in the moment, I have a tendency to either say "Oh, forget it" or I eat the same, simple things over and over and then get sick of them. My easiest food combo is a purchased roasted chicken (organic!) and brocolli steamed with fresh parsley and a tbsp of olive oil, salt pepper. But I get sick of that pretty quickly. Salad greens are okay but I get bored with those too (Laughed when I read you're getting tired of spinach and lettuce). I'm intrigued with many of the ground meat/veggie combinations in the book and will probably try some of those. I'm also interested in looking through the Nom Nom Paleo website for more interesting things to make. If I don't eat interesting stuff during this month, it won't work for me!

Also, I have a feeling I will extend just a bit into a whole45 if I can stand it. But we'll see.

Did you write yourself goals?

I signed up for the daily emails. Figured it would be interesting and certainly couldn't hurt. The first one this morning was pretty funny. But I read it just after I woke up. Maybe that was a bit too early in the morning for all those facts and encouraging words!!!

Have a good day!

Suzie

ps Where do you live? I'm in Santa Fe, NM.

I didn't sign up for the emails, but I have a few recipe books! My mom gave me a copy if Well Fed. It has some really good ideas for advance prep! I also have the book Practical Paleo and check nomnom paleo for ideas! I'm actually finding it's not so hard to adapt many recipes. I just plan to leave out any non-allowed ingredients. :)

Lunch today is cod with orange sauce. The recipe calls for flour to coat the fish- I'm just going to sauté it in coconut oil instead.

I'm still getting tired in the afternoons and I have trouble falling asleep last night. I feel pretty good so far today!

I'm in Central Iowa, so it's smack in the middle of winter. Veggies this time of year are expensive! Luckily I have a few things in the freezer from my summer garden I'm able to use. I just keep thinking how much easier this would be at the height of bounty from my garden. Maybe I'll do another one then if I'm successful with this one! :)

Archived