Fogo De Chao

JohannaE

Since I will be doing a Whole30 on Valentines Day, I've been looking for good places to eat out.  One that caught my eye is Fogo de Chao, but I am concerned about how the meat is prepared since it's not made to order.  Has anyone had a conversation with a manager about whether the meat is brushed with butter, and if so if it's clarified, and which of their marinades contain any added sugar or soy?  I'm hoping to figure out what cuts of meat I can have, and whether it's worth going.

My boyfriend and I cancelled our reservations for there this Valentines Day since we started the whole 30 earlier than anticipated. If you're paying that kind of money, you'd want the whole experience. I don't want to have to question every item that's brought to my table... 

Just my opinion. Maybe save it for a "Yay, I did it!" meal?

I did end up calling and speaking with the manager.  All of the beef items are simply sprinkled with salt and pepper.  The chicken and lamb, however, have wine or beer in the marinade.  However, they said they would be happy to make those meats with only salt and pepper at my request.  The sausage, pork and any of the bacon wrapped items are out entirely.  We're still planning to go on Friday - no, I can't have the rolls or the caramelized bananas, but I bet we'll still eat well!  Plus, gotta get out once in a while!  I'll let you all know how it goes! 

I am happy to report that I was VERY happy with my dining experience at Fogo de Chao!  (And proud of myself for sticking to my Whole30 despite strong thoughts of "it's a special occasion, would a little wine and a piece of chocolate one day really hurt?")

Anyways, I told our waiter about all of my dietary restrictions right away.  He was very knowledgable and immediately told me what I could have as is (the Picanha, filet mignon, rib eye, top sirloin, bottom sirloin and beef ribs), what they could modify for me by cooking in only sea salt (the lamb legs, the lamb chop and the chicken) and what I should avoid all together (the parmesan pork loin, the sausage and anything wrapped in bacon).  He made me feel completely comfortable asking, and even walked me through the salad bar to point out what I could have and what I couldn't.  This was really helpful because I wouldn't have had any idea about a lot of the cooked and marinated veggies (for instance, the beets had added sugar but the zucchini and string beans were just in olive oil salt and pepper).  Anything they didn't know (like does the smoked salmon have sugar? it didn't!), they found out the answer right away.  

All of the servers seemed to know my requirements, but all were very subtle about it.  I didn't ask them to make chicken special for me (who wants chicken when you have lamb and filet mignon?!), but they made TWO batches of lamb legs with just salt and it was awesome!  I had more than enough to eat, but didn't feel disgusting like I would after a heavy carb binge.  I definitely recommend Fogo for Whole30 dinners out!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Wow, Johanna. Thanks SO MUCH for taking the time to write this post! I’m always a reader (never a contributor/commenter) but created an account JUST to say thanks!

My husband and I love Fogo and always thought about asking but were afraid we’d be a hassle. I really appreciate you sharing your experience! We’re going there today!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I went to Fogo last night and had the BEST experience. I'm so glad I saw this thread before I went. Every single server was aware of what I could/couldn't have just like Johanna said (I think they have a system to subtly designate "special tables"). I was even given special options to order chicken, pork ribs, etc. just for us that were STILL brought over on the fancy carvers! The wonderful woman who helped me gave me this print-out that has ALL the dietary designations for the entire restaurant, salad bar included. The only thing they don't list is sugar, but that was easy enough to ask about. Hope it helps more people! 

fogo.scan3.jpg

fogo.scan2.jpg

fogo.scan.jpg

Archived