First Whole30 starts tomorrow 2/1/14! Who's with me?

Karinne

I am so excited to start my first Whole30. I would love to keep motivated and to help motivate others by staying in touch with some buddies. Anyone else who is starting tomorrow, please feel free to reply. And anyone who is in the midst of their journey, I am more than open to suggestions and feedback!!

Happy Feasting!

Karinne

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting tomorrow February 1. This will be my second go round. My first time was in August and September, leading up to my birthday. Now I have to halt the thanksgiving to New Years sugar fest. I didn't think it would happen, I am humbled. So now I want the accountability and structure of the W 30. I'm so ready, and glad to join you.

Thanks Ladies! Im happy to be on this journey with you manal63, mscarla and Tanja! 

Tanja, if you have any questions while you are thinking about it, please feel free to ask!

Manal63 and Mscarla- Good Luck on day 1. Im betting ready to cook a big Meal 1 :)

Let me know how you do today!

-Karinne  :rolleyes:

Hi, ladies!  I've started today and am glad to be on board!  I've been very careful about my diet for some time for health reasons but, like mscarla, let the holidays get me (along with my mother's passing and all the stress that came with that).  So enough of the excuses ... I'm ready to commit and need some help and support - count me in!!!

I started today too and this is my first time. I'm coming from low carb so I'm both nervous and excited to eat fruit and sweet potatoes again! I had a kiwi fruit today and some carrot in my salad and it's a welcome change to how I normally eat. Cheese can stuff it--I'd much rather have some of the starchy veggies that I've been craving.

The hardest thing for me to give up is artificial sweeteners. I've tried twice before to give up sucralose and both times I made it to day 4 before cracking. Don't laugh but I experience some nasty withdrawal symptoms when I go without it: headaches, moodiness, apathy, and anhedonia.

Anyway, it's the end of day 1 for me and so far I feel extra tired and bloated. I realize that this might be how I feel for a while, but I'm in it to win it.

I am doing this mainly as a way to see if I can maybe lose a few pounds without having to do VLC and to see if I look/feel healthier than I do on a regular low carb diet (~40-50g/carbs a day). I have eaten low carb for 3 1/2 years and I wonder if it has compromised my health. My once-thick hair became thin, I feel like I look older than my age, my facial skin quality is 'eh', I still get regular breakouts on my back and shoulders despite not eating sugar (I'm pretty sure dairy is to blame), and I was not able to maintain the weight I initally lost on LC. I only stuck with it because I felt like it somewhat kept binge eating under control (but I never binged until after I started LC) and because I thought maybe it was keeping me from getting fatter than I already was.

So yeah. Health and hopefully a little weight loss. That's why I'm here.

Verdana, your comments resonate with me.  If you haven't read the W30 timeline, go check it out - it says to expect those headaches and "withdrawl" symptoms.  It also helps you know what's coming up with your body's response to this so you will know ahead of time and can plan accordingly.  What does that mean?  No more "cracking" at day 4!  You can get through this!

I'm kind of a dilitant in the health/nutrition field and have spent years studying and researching these fields.  I've used actual hard data and studies posted in JAMA and other scientific resources, so I feel compelled to advise against these "low carb" diets.  Do your own research and don't trust me (or anyone else without seeing the data).  All carbs are NOT created equal, and our body desperately needs good carbs to function.  After all, when you limit carbs you're not just limiting sugar and flour ("bad" carbs), your limiting green, leafy vegatables, vitamin rich fruits, etc.  The good news?  Even if you have compromised your health, you can turn that around!!!  You've started that now - just keep it up!

Hi ladies, can I join you? I started my first Whole 30 on Feb 1st. So far so good! Today is day 2 for me. My diet before I started this was pretty good, but I realized that I had some serious sugar cravings so that's why I wanted to do this.

Good luck to everyone this month!

Hey peeps. I'm on the same schedule. Rach321 and I will join you!!! I really do want to talk with others about how this whole30 experience goes because I'm doing it by myself. Love my husband, but he loves all food that is artificially produced (chips, cereal, frozen foods, frozen pies, etc etc) and so those things are going to be around. Luckily, he eats whatever I cook. Just have to keep myself making the right food.

I sort of overdid it on Wed,Thurs and Fri with favorite carbs and sugar (saying goodbye) and yesterday I felt so awful that I had to sleep for much of the day. That was a lesson in itself. Usually I jump right up on Saturday morning and have lots to do and am excited for the weekend. I didn't want to get out of bed or do one thing on my "to do" list. Even the good things! All I did was make myself some good food and sleep and knit a little bit. That was a serious wakeup call to the effect of carbs and sugar on me....

Here's a question for everyone... Usually I get up, make coffee and then take a cup back to bed with me to drink slowly while reading or knitting for a while before I actually have to get up and going. It's my morning ritual and I always look forward to it. Well, no coffee now... or as they advised in the book, if you are going to have coffee, have it after your morning meal so it doesn't cause you not to be hungry for that first meal. Haven't decided if I'll totally cut coffee but really, it's the interruption in my lovely morning wake up routine that bums me out. Any suggestions for an alternate????

And I'm with EJSMadhatter... Let's do this!

Suzie.

Hi everyone!! Day 2 is going good so far!

I had no idea it would be this hard to not chew gum!! That is the hardest thing so far. I guess I can't complain if that is my biggest issue today :)

Hope you ladies have a fabulous day! I'm very grateful you all are here!

Karinne :)

I will not cut totally cut out coffee. I do change how I'm drinking it though. One cup after breakfast and never after noon. I also played around with coconut milk. I found if you put it in a mason jar in the fridge, the cream floats to the top and I put that in my coffee. It's pretty good.

Hope that helps!

I'm not cutting out coffee either. I have it with my breakfast and drink it black so no issues there for me. I did try bulletproof coffee this morning though...pretty tasty!

I'm feeling a headache coming on today-day 2! Maybe it's the sugar withdrawal!? Ugh.

Can I join too?

Yesterday was ok but today the kids are kind of hovering nervously, trying not to act too concerned about life without sugar cereal.  I can't cope with living in a house full of food I can't have, so they are going to have to come along on this ride at least when not at school!  Only the baby joined me for an egg and veg muffin though. 

I was surprised by how much I missed sugar and honey yesterday!  It was hard to make myself eat protein every time I got hungry!

Massive amounts of pre-cooking are going to have to happen around here or I will not be able to keep my energy up!

I am looking forward to shopping tomorrow.  We are out of coconut milk and it really is delicious in tea and coffee.

Regarding coffee - I noted in "It Starts With Food" that the point of cutting out coffee is NOT for health reasons, but because (for many of us) the need for caffeine controls us versus simply enjoying it.  Since W30 is also all about taking charge/control of your life, it can be a good idea.  Like Melissa T, I'm not cutting out coffee.  It is part of my morning ritual as well, and that ritual brings me peace.  I may reevaluate that later, but for the time being, I feel like I've got enough on my plate (pardon the pun).

I'm in the middle of prepping a bunch of food for the week. Baked a few sweet potatoes and winter squash,steamed some summer squash, and am now taking a quick break from chopping veggies like carrots and celery. I've got some fish to cook for lunch and will bring some steak, guacamole, and veggies with me to a Super Bowl party at my guy's uncle's house. I also want to start a batch of sauerkraut... Oof! This is a lot of work! ;)

Hi February 1-ers! I woke up to rain this morning, a gift in our parched California. So yay!

I had a good day yesterday, i felt the relief of having the sugar demon off my back. But I've been here before, many times, and without support I can easily go back to the "I'll start again tomorrow" thinking. But when I do a challenge, my competitive juices start flowing, and I need to be honest with myself to be successful. For some reason, I just can't do the follow through as a normal day- to-day.

I also start the day with bullet-proof coffee. Love it and see no reason to stop. The MCT oil is awesome. This is part of My W30.

Fortunately I don't have to face superbowl snacks today, I think I'll do my shopping and cooking during that event.

This time I am also going to use my iPad note to track everything. I never write things down, so this will help I'm sure.

Good day 2 to you all.

Archived