First Whole30 starts tomorrow 2/1/14! Who's with me?

Karinne

I'm a little disappointed in myself to be honest--I've definitely been overeating since starting the W30. Actually, it seems to have started maybe 5-6 days ago. It's starting to p*ss me right off because I can't seem to get it under control. Sigh. But I keep forging ahead and just hope that it stops soon. 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 16 and loving it. I must be one of the lucky ones. I have had a couple of personal problems to deal with but even those haven't been enough to send me off track. I haven't been missing any forbidden foods, I haven't had weird food dreams, I never wanted to kill all the things and days 10 and 11 were just another day...

My clothes are fitting better and I even had three people saying I look really well and asking if I have lost weight. I'm pretty sure I have, but will not release the scales from their jail until March!

Constant hunger and cravings are no longer a part of my life. I was even able to buy some very special chocolate for a friend yesterday without any desire to break into it and scoff it down myself.

So, half way there. Lets hope the second half goes as smoothly as the first... and more importantly, that I can continue on this journey and not slip into the bad habits of the past. I am actually thinking of making this a Whole 60 (or more) after reading today (somewhere - in the Day 16 newsletter maybe?) that it takes 66 days on average to break a habit.

Day 15...the halfway point. Yesterday, was BAD. Very very very BAD! I ate more than I care to admit and have no reason for it. I wasn't hungry. I ate because I wanted to eat and although it was compliant it just wasn't at all the way we should approach food--shame on me. Today will be better--now that I've finished those pesky dried apricots.  

Chris--I can't say that I WILL do it in a way that observes what I do with compassionate curiosity but I CAN say that I will give it my very best effort. As a perfectionist (admittedly, to a fault), I struggle a lot with self-deprecation and being able to treat myself with kindness. It's something I've tried working on for a long long time and it continues to be a struggle for me. When I said "shame on me" I wasn't TRULY shaming myself, just being cliche I guess. I'm not nearly as upset as my post may have let on but in any case when my thoughts do turn negative and hurtful I'll do my best to curb that and steer those thoughts toward the compassionate curiosity side! :) Thank you!

yesterday went ok. I am still not sleeping very well so yesterday was somewhat hard. I had a lot of brain work to do editing of a legal letter. I worked a straight 10.5 hours with only 2, 10-15 min breaks for meals. It was crazy and by the time I got home I was exhausted. I started getting very irritable in the afternoon but that was because I didn't have time eat. Well actually my hunger trigger didn't go off. I knew I should have eaten but I didn't feel the hunger so I didn't. Well that was a mistake because I started to go brain dead. I am also working with a new client that I have to keep lassoing in on topic. We will start on one thing and within 30 seconds she starts jumping around to other topics. It is hard to keep her on point.

I was also having some trouble wanting to eat. I have upped my digestive enzymes hoping that that will help. I feel something is off and that my cortisone levels are too high right now and that my adrenals are flipped. This means I am sleepy and exhausted during the day and revved up at night so it is hard to stay asleep. I was hoping to see my Dr yesterday but he was booked up. I at least have an appt on Mon. Something is off and I need to get it fixed.

My food was:

Turkey bacon with some crispy bacon and brussel sprouts

ground lamb and 1/2 of my veggies (carrot, celery, radish, cucumber) and 1/2 of fruit (1/2 granny smith, blue berries, raspberries, black berries)

Burger with mixed greens oil and apple cider vinegar with herb de province

Ground beef w/ cumin, coriander, oregano with green beans all sautéed up. My attempt at something Mexican since I can't have garlic, onions, or any peppers. Not too bad but doesn't make taco meat:((

Oh loved the zombie section of day 15 so funny thanks I needed that.

I went to bed last night at 7:30 because I was so tired and to give myself enough time to be able to fall asleep again so I can get 7-8 hours of sleep. Then at 12:30 am when I was having trouble staying asleep I remembered what my Dr said when I can't sleep. That my blood sugar is low and I need to get up and eat a small meal. That is what I did last night. I also took some extra CalMag and went to sleep for 4 hours with out waking up yay!!! I feel much better today now that I have gotten 9 hours.

Esuzabeth I am right there with you. I have just been putting one foot in front of the other. When I couldn't get online I went to the daily. It really helps for me to make all my food for the day so I can just grab it and eat. Of course I am out of the house all day so I have to do that. It also helped to buy some nice things for me at the completion of week 2 so every time I see it or use it I can't think of the success that I am having on not cheating even though I may not be feeling great or cranky because I can't eat hamburgers and fries. I am going to do that on every completion of each week. It helps with the incentive. Next celebration purchase is the julienne peeler. Also at the end of each day I write down the wins that I had during that day plus goals that I have completed. This helps too.

Not sure why when I reply to post it doesn't include the post like some peoples do so sorry to the people who don't know which post I am responding to. If anyone can recommend how I can fix that it would be great. I hit the quote button and the end to the post I want to respond to and my response posts at the end of the feed with just what I say. hmmm..

Not sure why when I reply to post it doesn't include the post like some peoples do so sorry to the people who don't know which post I am responding to. If anyone can recommend how I can fix that it would be great. I hit the quote button and the end to the post I want to respond to and my response posts at the end of the feed with just what I say. hmmm..

Hmm ... you're doing the right thing by clicking the Quote button on the post you want to reply to.  Are you posting from a mobile device using Tapatalk or on a computer? If the latter, what browser are you using? I'm currently on a computer using Chrome and it works fine for me.

Hey all! Feeling a little better today than I have lately. Reading about everyone else's struggles helps me to be compassionate toward myself. I don't feel so angry at the moment. I am allowing myself cream in my coffee a couple times a week as a reward for continuing. It's my way of reinforcing to myself that I'm doing well and I know my body does not have a problem with dairy. Funny, I don't really care about anything else (like cheese, yoghurt, etc). Just that morning coffee and cream. I'm even okay without any sweetener. Wow! That's just trippy to me! Never been able to drink coffee without sweetener before. Now it tastes just fine to me. I also noticed recently how REALLY FRICKIN' GOOD an orange was when I cut it into quarters and ate it. I like this aspect of noticing and really tasting food.

I am also considering a 60 day, so those of us who want to do that should continue onward with our discussions. It really does help. As I said in an earlier post, I'm not so concerned with what's happening this month when the restrictions and guidelines are clear. It's when they are gone that I want to continue to make good choices about food.

An aside... I made breakfast for dinner last night. My husband actually ate scrambled eggs with sauteed arugula and said it was good. I'm sure the sausages helped. But still, arugula! He hates green things!

I feel a little motivation coming back. Thanks everyone for all your posts! They help so much! Let's do this!

Hey all! Feeling a little better today than I have lately. Reading about everyone else's struggles helps me to be compassionate toward myself. I don't feel so angry at the moment. I am allowing myself cream in my coffee a couple times a week as a reward for continuing. It's my way of reinforcing to myself that I'm doing well and I know my body does not have a problem with dairy. Funny, I don't really care about anything else (like cheese, yoghurt, etc). Just that morning coffee and cream. I'm even okay without any sweetener. Wow! That's just trippy to me! Never been able to drink coffee without sweetener before. Now it tastes just fine to me. I also noticed recently how REALLY FRICKIN' GOOD an orange was when I cut it into quarters and ate it. I like this aspect of noticing and really tasting food.

I am also considering a 60 day, so those of us who want to do that should continue onward with our discussions. It really does help. As I said in an earlier post, I'm not so concerned with what's happening this month when the restrictions and guidelines are clear. It's when they are gone that I want to continue to make good choices about food.

An aside... I made breakfast for dinner last night. My husband actually ate scrambled eggs with sauteed arugula and said it was good. I'm sure the sausages helped. But still, arugula! He hates green things!

I feel a little motivation coming back. Thanks everyone for all your posts! They help so much! Let's do this!

This is really fantastic! I think I'll do a reintro after 30 days and then continue to the best of my ability with a weekly "off-plan" food when I go out or something like that. 

Meal 1:

3 eggs fried in coconut oil, sautéed spinach, half an avocado.

Meal 2:

Canned salmon salad with homemade mayo, carrot sticks, romaine lettuce

Meal 3:

Pecan crusted cod, sautéed kale, sweet potato baked "fries", kombucha and apple sauce

@Runninglawyer-- A bigger food processor! And a cast iron skillet.

@Georgia-- yay to improved KP! It's so annoying. I've had it for roughly 20 years.. So much for outgrowing it by age 30 =p It only gets better if I expose my legs to sunlight a lot in the summer. But I've definitely noticed some improvement!

@alrj-- I hope your mom is doing better! =( I wouldn't blame you for whatever you choose right now, but I will say that it might make you feel even worse if you give in; after the initial relief you're liable to crash with guilt and/or disappointment. You won't want that added to the stress and upset you've already got going on. But regardless, I'll send some positive energy you and your mom's way!

@madhatter-- SO sorry to hear about Max... That is such a blow. My departed kitty will keep him company until you're reunited. But it sounds like you're staying strong and have treated yourself to some great milestone gifts =) I've got a 30% off coupon to Kohl's in my purse, so will probably be doing something similar soon! In fact, I just realized Kohl's may have food processors in addition to clothes =D

As for me, I still don't have tiger blood =/ I've been reading the troubleshooting threads all evening and it's obvious that I'm STILL not eating enough. Nothing is very appealing to me, so I'm really having to force the food down. Might try doing four to five smaller meals instead of three big ones to see if I can stomach that. One way or another, I've got to get rid of this horrible fatigue! Saw my parents this evening and my mom asked me if I was sick and said I look pale and unhealthy. When I reminded her I'm doing the Whole30 and that may be why I'm looking different, she said she's "not impressed." lol.. So anyway, going to increase my sweet potato intake and my overall food intake as best I can. Fingers crossed!

A cast iron skillet is not what I ate today.. lol.. I think the "What did everyone eat today?" question popped up while I was typing my previous response to what kitchen items we want =)

As for what I ate today--

Breakfast-- Couple ounces of leftover steak with 1c roasted broccoli and a banana

Couldn't stomach lunch

Dinner-- ground beef patty with lettuce, tomato and guacamole, handful of sweet potato fries

Snack-- handful of mixed nuts (almonds, cashews, pistachios)

Today's meals will be:

AM workout before eating anything 

M1: frittata, chicken sausage and sautéed kale, grapefruit

M2: broccoli soup (homemade with coconut oil), chicken burger with broccoli slaw, banana 

M3: chicken tikka with cauliflower and roasted veg, fresh pineapple

Snack: raw mixed nuts x 2, 1 oz freeze dried fruit

@Runninglawyer-- A bigger food processor! And a cast iron skillet.

@Georgia-- yay to improved KP! It's so annoying. I've had it for roughly 20 years.. So much for outgrowing it by age 30 =p It only gets better if I expose my legs to sunlight a lot in the summer. But I've definitely noticed some improvement!

@alrj-- I hope your mom is doing better! =( I wouldn't blame you for whatever you choose right now, but I will say that it might make you feel even worse if you give in; after the initial relief you're liable to crash with guilt and/or disappointment. You won't want that added to the stress and upset you've already got going on. But regardless, I'll send some positive energy you and your mom's way!

@madhatter-- SO sorry to hear about Max... That is such a blow. My departed kitty will keep him company until you're reunited. But it sounds like you're staying strong and have treated yourself to some great milestone gifts =) I've got a 30% off coupon to Kohl's in my purse, so will probably be doing something similar soon! In fact, I just realized Kohl's may have food processors in addition to clothes =D

As for me, I still don't have tiger blood =/ I've been reading the troubleshooting threads all evening and it's obvious that I'm STILL not eating enough. Nothing is very appealing to me, so I'm really having to force the food down. Might try doing four to five smaller meals instead of three big ones to see if I can stomach that. One way or another, I've got to get rid of this horrible fatigue! Saw my parents this evening and my mom asked me if I was sick and said I look pale and unhealthy. When I reminded her I'm doing the Whole30 and that may be why I'm looking different, she said she's "not impressed." lol.. So anyway, going to increase my sweet potato intake and my overall food intake as best I can. Fingers crossed!

I have to eat more that 3 times per day because I can only eat so much protein, veggies, and fruit myself. I also had to start taking digestive enzymes to help with the protein.  I hope you feel better soon. 

Yesterday was better because I got enough sleep. I had more energy but I was high stress getting everything done in the morning and I noticed that I crashed in the afternoon. I need to find a way to get things done fast but not rev the engine to do it. I did make 2 soups that were delicious and have no onions or garlic in them. I think that was part of my problem last week. I am still having canker sores in my mouth and I need to figure out now what food is doing that. Got ride of garlic, onions, and citrus. Hmmm....

Food I had was:

Cod with dill and artichoke

Turkey soup with green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, broc, and artichoke hearts

Fried Turkey with yellow beet and cucumber mixed greens dressing was evo, cider vinegar, coconut aminos, and peper

Pot roast with carrots and brussel sprouts

Then at midnight I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep so I had a celery stick and went back to sleep.

Today I didn't get as much sleep but at least it was 7.

Archived