First Whole30 starts tomorrow 2/1/14! Who's with me?

Karinne

Hats off for those of you who are preparing foods you can't eat for your families. I helped my brother last night and it drove me crazy. I wanted stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy like you wouldn't believe. Instead I had sweet potatoes and lamb. If you are one of those people who do that every day you are my hero!! I don't know how my Mom did it when I was growing up.

why did your mom do it? I do it EVERY.SINGLE.DAY for at least lunch and dinner. For breakfast I pour my husband a bowl of cereal--I was nearly salivating over it today. 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why did your mom do it? I do it EVERY.SINGLE.DAY for at least lunch and dinner. For breakfast I pour my husband a bowl of cereal--I was nearly salivating over it today. 

My mom was always on some type of diet when I was growing up. She also owned a Diet Center for 2 years. 

Today was a pretty good day. I did my morning exercise and walked before lunch. I will need to add some veggies with a little more carbs after because my energy bottomed out. 

I had:

ground turkey and cole slaw

ground beef and veggies

skirt steak and salad

turkey veggie soup and apple

left over turkey/beef, saute swiss chard, cauliflower/carrot puree

I'm feeling frustrated. Day 23 for me and pretty much all of the things I hoped this whole30 would resolve are still here: sinus pain/congestion, neck and jaw pain, uncomfortable digestion, etc. the major issue right now is that it's my time of the month, and I'm having the hardest cycle than I have in a long time. I'm tired, irritable, cramps, headachy.

Before pms hit, I was feeling pretty good, so it may very well be that the lack of results is all hormonal. I'll ride it out the next few days and hope it gets better.

Food-wise, I'm tired... I don't especially want anything off-plan... I just don't really want anything.

Yesterday I had went off plan slightly and had a small green smoothy (mostly spinach and carrots with a bit of pineapple and banana) to have with my 3 boils eggs topped with homemade mayo for breakfast. Lunch was beef pot roast with carrots and onions and a big salad with balsamic vinaigrette, and dinner was a chipolte salad and a few bites of pineapple when I got home.

Today for breakfast I had some boiled shrimp dipped in mayo, sauerkraut, and apple sauce. I couldn't bring myself to eat any more veggies. Other meals today will be a repeat of the pot roast and salad and steamed mussels with roasted beets and sautéed napa cabbage.

I'm feeling frustrated. Day 23 for me and pretty much all of the things I hoped this whole30 would resolve are still here: sinus pain/congestion, neck and jaw pain, uncomfortable digestion, etc. the major issue right now is that it's my time of the month, and I'm having the hardest cycle than I have in a long time. I'm tired, irritable, cramps, headachy.

Before pms hit, I was feeling pretty good, so it may very well be that the lack of results is all hormonal. I'll ride it out the next few days and hope it gets better.

Food-wise, I'm tired... I don't especially want anything off-plan... I just don't really want anything.

Yesterday I had went off plan slightly and had a small green smoothy (mostly spinach and carrots with a bit of pineapple and banana) to have with my 3 boils eggs topped with homemade mayo for breakfast. Lunch was beef pot roast with carrots and onions and a big salad with balsamic vinaigrette, and dinner was a chipolte salad and a few bites of pineapple when I got home.

Today for breakfast I had some boiled shrimp dipped in mayo, sauerkraut, and apple sauce. I couldn't bring myself to eat any more veggies. Other meals today will be a repeat of the pot roast and salad and steamed mussels with roasted beets and sautéed napa cabbage.

I completely relate. I am on day 21 and I feel NOTHING positive really...

• overeating--which is rather unusual for me
  • no improvement in sleep --still wake up 5-7 times a night
  • no increase in energy 
  • tired of food as well--yesterday I was going to eat eggs all day because I didn't feel like cooking. I ended up making curry but it was a struggle to convince myself

So, I'm rather discouraged actually but I'm hoping I can get it together for the last 9 days. 

Hi everyone. Guess what? I haven't dropped off the surface of the planet!!!! It's just been crazy busy for me and I wasn't posting for a while or checking the forum -- just reading the email I get with the daily posts. Here's what's up with me:

Well, I've confirmed what I suspected was true for me -- that the busier I am, the worse I eat. Fell off the wagon twice this week. On Monday night had friends over for dinner and bought one of my favorite breads from a local baker. Ended up having two pieces of bread. Then Thurs night, was together with my crafting group. I had been so busy during the day and was late, so didn't put together my own food before going. Result? Had chicken with some kind of sauce made with cream of mushroom soup (yikes, how synthetic can you get?!?!), some jicama slaw and rice, along with a piece of key lime pie. (Because, really, after the cream of mushroom soup, it was like "Why not?").

But, the very next day, right back to the regular whole 30 routine. Decided I'm not interested in self-flagellation. Just chalk it up as a learning experience and move forward. So, I've learned that in order to eat well, I ALWAYS have to have something prepared and easy to grab for when I'm running around like a crazy person. I didn't do any food prep last weekend. I had all the right groceries in the fridge and pantry. But when push comes to shove, and I get busy, I don't have time to cook and THAT's when I'm likely to make bad food choices.

Also, I'd gotten a little bored with what I've been eating. And that in itself leads me to want foods that aren't good for me.

Guess you're supposed to "restart" the whole thing if you mess up. But I'm not going to. For me this is an ongoing project about getting into the habit of eating better.

I'm very glad you all are posting some of the things you are eating. When I run out of ideas, I scroll back through your posts and think "Oh right! I guess I can eat that too. Cool!" Also, going to locate a couple of the recommended cookbooks this weekend. All suggestions welcome! I find I don't look online that much. I prefer an actual book that I can leaf through and pick and choose different recipes for trying out.

(Gosh this is a long post)

I don't feel much different either. I'm basically on day 23 with a few minor bumps. Don't notice any change in energy, sleep or anything like that. I have lost a few pounds. Not many though. Maybe five. And on me that's not very much! But again, though I'm disappointed, I'm trying to look at it from the point of view that I want to eat in a more healthy way. So the other stuff, if it happens, will just be a bonus. Except I really do want to drop some weight. Don't see how I wouldn't since I'm not eating any sugar or grains and definitely nothing processed! (Except that weird chicken sauce.)

New photo posted on Facebook so my pic changed over there. Don't think you can see it. I'm holding a tiny Auracana chick in my hands! Just got four new babies and they are in the kitchen peeping their heads off. The dogs are wondering what kind weird puppies these are with their beaks and feathers!

Best,

Suzie

rach and running lawyer - hang in there.  A lot of people don't see any positive results until the last days and some need to do more than 30 days.   That's what I read in the emails, I get everyday. That was the message today, In fact, It took us years to get to get here and 30 might be short of the miracle about to happen. Stay strong!  

I so relate about not wanting to eat anything.  I do get inspired coming here and reading what you all eat. 

Welcome back Esuzbeth. I have been there and done that and you are doing great by "getting back on the fridge" when you fall of it. That's what I call it. It is a process and I am glad that you have posted and you are back with us. I have taken to just making some ground meats. I do beef, lamb, and turkey so that in a pinch I can just grab it and add some spices or just have it with the salt and pepper, throw in some veggies and I am off. I make that every week or when my supply runs low so I always have something. I also keep a few cans of Trader Joe's Yellowtail tuna on hand for emergencies. 

Doing all this cooking is hard and time consuming. And yes I am bored out of my mind because I am so restricted. Especially with spices. If any of you have any recipes for spice mixes that I can then take out the garlic, onions, and pepper please let me know. I have one for Italian spices and herb de provance if fine but all others have something in it I can't have.

I am feeling somewhat better but not great. I have my good days and bad days and they seem to alternate. My brain is still foggy and there are days when I can't even remember what I ate. 

I am going to make some kale chips and roasted root veggies today. I will get some Turkey breast and cook those up too. Hey maybe I will treat myself to some lamb chops. I haven't had that in a while.

Yesterday I had:

Turkey Soup

Ground beef and sauté swiss chard with mashed butternut squash

Turkey with beet salad light evo, cider vinegar, herd de province

Ground lamb with carrots, celery, cucumber, jicama

Pot roast, carrots and broccoli

and bedtime snack I just had a carrot

This is what I did for celebration of making it through week 3. I bought myself a label maker and a plastic guard for under my home office chair to protect the hardwood floors. Now I can sit at my desk and not working about damaging the floors

Did anyone else do any celebrations for making it this far? Let me know what you did or got :D

Hi everyone. Guess what? I haven't dropped off the surface of the planet!!!! It's just been crazy busy for me and I wasn't posting for a while or checking the forum -- just reading the email I get with the daily posts. Here's what's up with me:

Well, I've confirmed what I suspected was true for me -- that the busier I am, the worse I eat. Fell off the wagon twice this week. On Monday night had friends over for dinner and bought one of my favorite breads from a local baker. Ended up having two pieces of bread. Then Thurs night, was together with my crafting group. I had been so busy during the day and was late, so didn't put together my own food before going. Result? Had chicken with some kind of sauce made with cream of mushroom soup (yikes, how synthetic can you get?!?!), some jicama slaw and rice, along with a piece of key lime pie. (Because, really, after the cream of mushroom soup, it was like "Why not?").

But, the very next day, right back to the regular whole 30 routine. Decided I'm not interested in self-flagellation. Just chalk it up as a learning experience and move forward. So, I've learned that in order to eat well, I ALWAYS have to have something prepared and easy to grab for when I'm running around like a crazy person. I didn't do any food prep last weekend. I had all the right groceries in the fridge and pantry. But when push comes to shove, and I get busy, I don't have time to cook and THAT's when I'm likely to make bad food choices.

Also, I'd gotten a little bored with what I've been eating. And that in itself leads me to want foods that aren't good for me.

Guess you're supposed to "restart" the whole thing if you mess up. But I'm not going to. For me this is an ongoing project about getting into the habit of eating better.

I'm very glad you all are posting some of the things you are eating. When I run out of ideas, I scroll back through your posts and think "Oh right! I guess I can eat that too. Cool!" Also, going to locate a couple of the recommended cookbooks this weekend. All suggestions welcome! I find I don't look online that much. I prefer an actual book that I can leaf through and pick and choose different recipes for trying out.

(Gosh this is a long post)

I don't feel much different either. I'm basically on day 23 with a few minor bumps. Don't notice any change in energy, sleep or anything like that. I have lost a few pounds. Not many though. Maybe five. And on me that's not very much! But again, though I'm disappointed, I'm trying to look at it from the point of view that I want to eat in a more healthy way. So the other stuff, if it happens, will just be a bonus. Except I really do want to drop some weight. Don't see how I wouldn't since I'm not eating any sugar or grains and definitely nothing processed! (Except that weird chicken sauce.)

New photo posted on Facebook so my pic changed over there. Don't think you can see it. I'm holding a tiny Auracana chick in my hands! Just got four new babies and they are in the kitchen peeping their heads off. The dogs are wondering what kind weird puppies these are with their beaks and feathers!

Best,

Suzie

I'm glad you are not interested in self-flagellation because neither are we. You slipped up. You are human. It happens. I would encourage you to hit that restart button so that you can get the full benefit of a full 30 days. But that is also ultimately your choice. I know so many people not see results until very near the end of their 30 days. Life will always throw us twists and turns too and part of the W30 is learning new food behaviors. The "I already ate <blank> so why not eat <blank> and <blank>" statement was one that led to many many nights of binge eating for me before but now I see everything as an individual choice that is more or less healthy and I can make a less healthy choice without feeling like I have to make a string of them. Does that make sense? Regardless I wish you the best in whatever you choose to do from here out. 

I just made this and it was incredible. I didn't use butter I just used olive oil and obviously no garlic or chicken stock. I just roasted it until it was done. I am sure it is delicious with the sauce paleo roasted turkey breast with herb butter

Submitted by pararescue | Updated: November 13, 2012

It's a shame that turkey is usually relegated to Thanksgiving. This is partly because of tradition, and partly because roasting a whole turkey seems like too much work for a regular night of a week. It you buy just the bone-in turkey breasts, however, rather than a whole turkey, the task is less daunting.

A generous drizzle of butter keeps the meat moist and creates crispy, deeply browned skin. As we all know, one of the best things about turkey is leftovers.

Roast the turkey early in the week and you'll have enough meat for several lunches.

servings6

ingredients 4-5 pound bone-in turkey breast
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 cup chicken or turkey broth
preparation Preheat oven to 425°F.

Gently melt the butter with the herbs, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and add the garlic. Gently pull the skin away from the turkey meat and drizzle a little bit of butter under the skin. Drizzle or brush the rest of the butter over the top of the turkey.

Roast the turkey uncovered in a roasting pan for 45 minutes. Then, add the broth to the pan and continue to roast until the temperature of the turkey reaches 165-170 F, about another 45 minutes. If the skin on the top of the turkey begins to get too dark, lightly cover it with foil.

Remove the turkey from the oven and pour any liquid into a saute pan. Simmer the liquid on the stove for several minutes to reduce the liquid slightly. Slice the turkey off the bone, drizzle turkey juices on top. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/PALEO-ROASTED-TURKEY-BREAST-WITH-HERB-BUTTER-51382321#ixzz2uC6XgN5c

Today was ok!

Had to get up early again to take my guy to the airport, so I packed some food for the road. I had: 2 boiled eggs, pecans, raisins for meal 1 (no veggies, I know...) salmon salad and cold green beans for meal 2.

I stopped at whole foods on the way home: I haven't been there since I started my whole30. I didn't buy as much as I thought I would, but I stocked up on a few basics and got some digestive support supplements. Hopefully they will help!

I did but some dried strawberries (no added sugars) from the bulk section. Not too many because they are expensive. And I promptly put them away after snacking on a few. They are like candy! Definitely not appropriate for me right now... I ate the last few big bites if salmon salad after the strawberries so I had some protein and fat with the sweet.

Meal 3 was pot roast, carrots, roasted okra. And a small glass of kombucha.

I also made a delicious breakfast casserole I'm looking forward to for tomorrow! It's shredded sweet potato (2 medium) topped with sautéed chicken livers and onions, and bound together with eggs, coconut milk, and sage (5 eggs, big dash of milk). Baked at 350 degrees for 40 minutes in an 8x8 pan. I'll have it with a simple zuchinni soup from the well fed 2 cookbook. I'm determined to get veggies for breakfast!

I thought today was going to be a good day but I hit a wall at around 9 am. I have been so tired all day and just not feeling great. I got a lot done though. I went shopping and then made the herbed turkey, roasted root veggies, and stuffed winter squash. I have more cooking that needs to be done which I will try to do tomorrow before work.

I started exercising more and every muscle hurts today. I haven't had that in a long time.

Today I had:

Turkey burger, Sweet potato, and cole slaw

ground beef/lamb mixed in with mashed butternut squash. (amazing it was so good)

Rest of the ground lamb, crispy turkey breast, and cucumbers

small amount of herbed turkey and berries 

Lamb chops, roasted root veggies, and asparagus.

Getting tired of being tired!! But I know it is part of the process. Seeing my Dr again on Mon so we will see what needs to be done next.

Ejs--I hope you're feeling better soon! Awesome job yesterday!

Yesterday was phenomenal! I ate delicious meals, got my workout in and went to a friend's for dinner. She knows about my restrictions and made roasted veggies, sweet potatoes, and salmon. I had a homemade larabar type dessert last night while the others had homemade chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake.

Hey, guys, congrats on being near the end of your whole30.  Hang in there.  I fell off the wagon but am starting over as of today.

Day 1.

M1 Coffee with almond milk; asparagus/broccoli/bacon/bone broth soup.  Sweet potato hash with a fried egg on top.  Feels good to be back.

Yesterday I did a giant chop up of veggies from costco because I am working 8 nights in a row this week.  I'm working way too much right now, as my husband's job is not secure and he wants me to accept any work I am offered.  I work as an emergency veterinarian, and there are always places that need someone to moonlight so they can have some time off, so basically I am working 20 out of 30 nights per month.  Some places let me sleep in the on-call room, but other places are so busy that I am up all night and then get to care for my kindergarteners all day.

Hey, guys, congrats on being near the end of your whole30.  Hang in there.  I fell off the wagon but am starting over as of today.

Day 1.

M1 Coffee with almond milk; asparagus/broccoli/bacon/bone broth soup.  Sweet potato hash with a fried egg on top.  Feels good to be back.

Yesterday I did a giant chop up of veggies from costco because I am working 8 nights in a row this week.  I'm working way too much right now, as my husband's job is not secure and he wants me to accept any work I am offered.  I work as an emergency veterinarian, and there are always places that need someone to moonlight so they can have some time off, so basically I am working 20 out of 30 nights per month.  Some places let me sleep in the on-call room, but other places are so busy that I am up all night and then get to care for my kindergarteners all day.

Wow! That must be incredibly stressful for you. I hope you make it through with some time to nurture and care for yourself! 

Thanks.  Luckily, I find cooking very soothing.  I was supposed to pay bills this morning.  Instead I have been screwing around in the kitchen all morning.  Packed paleo lunches for the kids for the week.  Made homemade coconut milk a la thepaleomom.  Made almond milk.  Used the leftover almond meal and coconut meal to make paleo muffins for the kids (as they are not whole30, just paleo).  Made paleo chicken pot pie filling, will make some paleo biscuits for the kids.  Thinking of baking hard boiled eggs in the oven - just cuz I have a hot oven from the muffins and I have never tried that.

I got my T25 discs from Amazon today.  I saw someone talk about that and wanted to try it.  Anyone doing T25?

I got my T25 discs from Amazon today.  I saw someone talk about that and wanted to try it.  Anyone doing T25?

I do it off and on--I nearly finished it before becoming pregnant but stopped around the time of implantation so as to not risk an early miscarriage. Now I do a workout when I can't make it to the gym or just want to move my body.

I ate delicious food today!!

Breakfast: sweet potato, chicken liver, onion, and egg casserole. Zuchinni soup with a drizzle of olive oil. Coconut milk in coffee. The coconut milk wasn't enough fat, I guess. I was still hungry 15 min after breakfast although i ate a generous portion of protein. So I had a few pecans in the car drive to work, and that seemed to help.

Lunch: Beef pot roast with roasted okra, beets with cider vinegar and olive oil, fresh coconut (about a 1.5 inch piece)

Dinner: Salmon made from Jaques Pepin's recipe see below, sautéed carrots and napa cabbage with coconut aminos.

Steamed salmon and nori

From Jacques Pepin's “Essential Pepinâ€

You can buy nori, dried seaweed sheets, at many supermarkets or Asian groceries. Skin one 1-pound salmon fillet; lay the skin on a cookie sheet flesh side down, salt lightly. Bake in a 375-degree oven until crisp, about 30 minutes. Let cool; break into 1-pieces. Meanwhile, cut the salmon lengthwise into 3 pieces, each about 1 1/4 inches wide and 7 inches long. Wet 3 nori sheets on both sides with water; place on work surface. Place a strip of salmon at one end of each sheet, roll it up tightly, enclosing the salmon. Cut each roll in half, then cut each half into thirds. You will have 18 slices in all. Arrange the pieces on a heat proof plate and steam, covered, over boiling water for about 5 minutes or until the salmon is barely cooked. Make a sauce: Mix 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon julienned lemon rind, 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon each: salt, black pepper. Arrange salmon pieces on a serving plate, spoon sauce over the salmon, sprinkle the skin cracklings on top. Makes 4 servings. Fish alternative: fresh tuna.

Hi guys! Just wanted to share the dinner I made tonight - the slow cooker roast chicken and gravy from Nom Nom Paleo. Here's the link: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/4807547385/slow-cooker-roast-chicken-and-gravy Super easy dish. The chicken was moist and tender and the gravy was so good!

Thinking back on all the meals I've made this month, I've really made a lot of delicious food! So not only am I eating better, but I feel like my cooking skills have gotten better too with all the cooking I've had to do. Nom Nom Paleo and The Clothes Make The Girl have been my go-to sites for recipes this month. I am considering buying at least one of their cookbooks. I haven't made a bad recipe from either of these ladies yet!

I ate delicious food today!!

Breakfast: sweet potato, chicken liver, onion, and egg casserole. Zuchinni soup with a drizzle of olive oil. Coconut milk in coffee. The coconut milk wasn't enough fat, I guess. I was still hungry 15 min after breakfast although i ate a generous portion of protein. So I had a few pecans in the car drive to work, and that seemed to help.

Lunch: Beef pot roast with roasted okra, beets with cider vinegar and olive oil, fresh coconut (about a 1.5 inch piece)

Dinner: Salmon made from Jaques Pepin's recipe see below, sautéed carrots and napa cabbage with coconut aminos.

Steamed salmon and nori

From Jacques Pepin's “Essential Pepinâ€

You can buy nori, dried seaweed sheets, at many supermarkets or Asian groceries. Skin one 1-pound salmon fillet; lay the skin on a cookie sheet flesh side down, salt lightly. Bake in a 375-degree oven until crisp, about 30 minutes. Let cool; break into 1-pieces. Meanwhile, cut the salmon lengthwise into 3 pieces, each about 1 1/4 inches wide and 7 inches long. Wet 3 nori sheets on both sides with water; place on work surface. Place a strip of salmon at one end of each sheet, roll it up tightly, enclosing the salmon. Cut each roll in half, then cut each half into thirds. You will have 18 slices in all. Arrange the pieces on a heat proof plate and steam, covered, over boiling water for about 5 minutes or until the salmon is barely cooked. Make a sauce: Mix 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon julienned lemon rind, 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon each: salt, black pepper. Arrange salmon pieces on a serving plate, spoon sauce over the salmon, sprinkle the skin cracklings on top. Makes 4 servings. Fish alternative: fresh tuna.

Yummy!!

It has been a very buys 2 days. Still feeling the same. I have been really tired. My Dr says it is because all of the healing that is going on. He gave me a really good tune up yesterday and I am very tired today. This is not unusual with the adrenal failure. Anyway. I had some bad cravings today. I really wanted Jack in the Box tacos with a Diet coke. Of course I have been hearing there ads all week for the new burger so that is probably part of the reason. I really want a cocktail tonight. I think I will have a Kombacha instead. I am going to a friends house for the Academy Awards on Sun and I am nervous. I think that is part of the cravings starting too. I am going to find out what she is having and then bring my own food if necessary. Part of my wants to avoid the entire thing and just not go but I have to start socializing at some point.

Food:

Mahi Mahi with dill, yellow squash, and sweet potato ¼

Herbed turkey, ½ of veggies & fruit (carrot, celery, cucumber, radish, granny smith apple)

Lamb burger & salad

½ burger with rest of veggies

Stuffed winter squash (acorn squash, ground beef, spinach

Remainer beef and carrot 

Archived