First Whole30 starts tomorrow 2/1/14! Who's with me?

Karinne

Esuzabeth--thank you for your kind words. The thing is that even with weight gain I view it as something that needs to be controlled, to some extent, for my child. The ramifications of gaining too much are embedded in brain and I don't want to suffer pregnancy related complications and put my bsby at risk due to my own lack of discipline. It's not about the whole 30 per se, just about moving forward with greater mindfulness of what is considered a healthy amount of weight gain and eating accordingly. Does that make sense. This is my first pregnancy and I've always been health conscious so now I feel like I owe it to my child to be even more aware because he/she deserves that more than any other reason I've ever had for maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations everyone who has completed or are completing. This is day 30 for me. Planning a paleo buffet for the Oscars tonight. I told everyone else to bring what they wanted. It is a small gathering really. I am roasting a whole turkey right now which I will de-bone and portion out for meals. Today we are doing a veggie tray with guacamole and raita sauce, ground lamb meatballs, fruit platter. Dr said I could do some coconut and olives now in small amounts so we will have that too. 

I have a question for those of us who have to continue, do we do it on this feed or somewhere else? Should I join a feed that is with people just starting? I will most likely be on this for a while. Please let me know. 

Ejsmadhatter--I'd say you should stay here. It makes sense to keep what we already have going. I might be extending mine too but I'm not completely sure just yet. I will not turn down frozen yogurt if my husband brings it up but if he doesn't and I make it to day 35 then ill certainly be extending it to 45.

Day 30 for me! Yeah! I can't believe I made it to 30 days. I wanted to quit so many times but I really didn't have any good reason for doing so, so I kept at it. And honestly I think the daily emails kept me going too. Not necessarily for the content in the emails, but the fact that I had to keep accountable by clicking the link at the bottom of each email every day, indicating that I completed another day of clean eating. I really did not want to have to click the link that says I screwed up and have to start again. Lol.

I did step on the scale today. 7 lbs down. Not bad. I took measurements on day 1 and haven't done all my final measurements yet, but I did lose 1.5 inches off my waist. I never got that tiger blood, but I just feel good overall. What's exciting for me is that I can now fuel my workouts on far fewer carbs than I used to consume. That's awesome. I have begun training for a half marathon and it will be interesting to see how I do with this on less carbs as my mileage goes up. My sleep is fine, but I never had sleeping problems to begin with.

I never really had any digestive issues to begin with, but my GI system definitely feels better eating this way. I like to think of it as a "neutral" feeling - I don't really have any huge pangs of hunger or feelings of bloat from overeating. My stomach just feels...content after a meal. It's great.

Tomorrow I will have some yogurt with breakfast, and I'll also have a latte when I meet up for coffee with a friend. I'm hoping all goes well, because dairy is something I definitely want to keep in my life. The other food group I'm really interested in keeping around for the occasional meal is non-gluten grains. I actually do miss eating oatmeal, and I like quinoa and rice. As for gluten grains and legumes, I honestly can take or leave them. I will still reintroduce those as I want to see how my body reacts, but they really won't have much of a place in my life from now on. If anything I'd enjoy these groups in the form of hummus and a really good piece of crusty bread. But that's really it.

I've enjoyed chatting with you ladies while on this journey. Thanks for all the support. Doing the W30 has definitely changed my life by opening my eyes to a whole new way of eating and thinking about food. I'll still be around for a little while because I'd like to share how my reintro goes.

Cheers! WE DID IT!!!

Oh and one more thing-how could I forget-my sugar dragon has been slayed! I've been surrounded by cookies and candy and donuts at home and at work all month and while they smell good, I really have no desire to eat them. Yeah!!

Oh and one more thing-how could I forget-my sugar dragon has been slayed! I've been surrounded by cookies and candy and donuts at home and at work all month and while they smell good, I really have no desire to eat them. Yeah!!

I am so jealous and of course I think it is awesome for you. I am still fighting my sugar dragon:(( I am finding that it is more location and stress that triggers it now so that is good. Well done!!

Well, I'm doing a second whole 30--did some off-roading yesterday and I'm back at it today. I don't like the way I feel eating rubbish so I'm not going to, not until I can get a handle on eating non-compliant foods in moderation (instead of overeating for no good reason).

I am still on whole30 to and let me tell you yesterday was like day 4 with cravings. I got hit so hard I couldn't believe it. Plus I had an afternoon slump which I haven't had in a week. I think it was because I hit the goal of 30 days and then I worked at a place that I handn't been since I started where I did alot of my bad eating & drinking. It REALLY SUCKED AND I WAS VERY FRUSTRATED AND UPSET!! I left the house as soon as I was done and told my family that I couldn't have dinner with them because it was just really hard today. They were totally fine with it.

I had a large steak, sweet potato (1/2), olives and coconut (can have small amounts once in a while now), and kambachi tea. No fruit yesterday cus of the cravings.

I also ate this:

Ground lamb with sautéed swiss chard and mashed butternut squash

Turkey sausage (home made) carrot, celery, cucumber, diakon, and jicama

Ground beef with sautéed bok choy

I am hoping today is better

I am hoping today is better

I hope it HAS been better. It's tough to feel like you've accomplished something but still have to experience such struggles. I'm doing fine. Just going along trying to figure out what to eat and when... as in "What can I safely add back into my diet without totally LOSING IT?" It's the ongoing subject matter in my head. Should get my two cookbooks soon and I'm sure that will help.

I really have nothing to say! So I guess I'll sign off.... best of luck to us next-30-ers.

Just checking in! I could post this in post-whole30/reintroductions, but I miss you all!

Things are going well here. I reintroduced milk and cheese on Sunday without terrible consequences, but also not the best ones either (just a sort of uneasy feeling) I'm interested to try again with butter, heavy cream, yogurt, and possibly hard cheeses like parmesan. I'll try in a few days.

Today is gluten introduction. For breakfast and lunch I had slices of homemade crusty long-fermented bread along with meals that basically fit the template (sweet potato breakfast casserole for breakfast and a grass-fed hamburger patty on salad with homemade mayo for lunch).

I'm feeling tired... and foggy-brained... Not a good sign! I'll have soup tonight- we make dinner for a group Thursday nights. I have macaroni cooked separately to add to the soup we already prepared. I might save a separate bowl without pasta for me (there is corn in the soup, however), or I might try one more meal with a different form of gluten-containing food to see what happens. I haven't decided yet! 

Been doing well for the last few days. Been detoxing more and now unfortunately I am constipated.  Today was very hard. I really wanted to cheat and had my self going to do it tomorrow. So far though I haven't canceled anything and I am not planning on it. It still boggles my mind that I am having this problem and I am day 35. I am hoping to get things moving in my intestines soon because I am already starting to feel the effects. My body is starting to hurt. I am drinking lots of water and taking probiotics, Tonight I am trying fiber drink.

Food for today

Turkey burger broccoli

Burger & sweet potato

Turkey ground coc aminos, ginger, broc slaw, bok choy stirfry

Lamb carrot & cauwliflower puree with kale chips

I hope all is well this those of us still working on it.

checking in. Life has been so busy, I find myself eating the same things.  I'm relying on sweet potatoes so much. They are easy and I don't have to think about them. 

After my colonoscopy, I went to Perkins.  I remember now why my body needs this diet! My GI guy,thinks I might have celiac disease. He said he might ask me to reintroduce gluten to see how that goes. Hmmmm, He did tell me I looked beautiful inside and out! I'm waiting for the biopsy results. I'm so glad he and my regular health provider are supporting me in this Whole30!  I'm blessed!

I've been reading about celiac disease and it says that it may take 2 to 3 years for the small intestine to heal.  Makes sense to me.

Sounds like there are still some ups and downs,with us.  I enjoy reading every ones' posts, especially the reintroducing ones. Sending out good choice vibes! 

checking in. Life has been so busy, I find myself eating the same things.  I'm relying on sweet potatoes so much. They are easy and I don't have to think about them. 

After my colonoscopy, I went to Perkins.  I remember now why my body needs this diet! My GI guy,thinks I might have celiac disease. He said he might ask me to reintroduce gluten to see how that goes. Hmmmm, He did tell me I looked beautiful inside and out! I'm waiting for the biopsy results. I'm so glad he and my regular health provider are supporting me in this Whole30!  I'm blessed!

I've been reading about celiac disease and it says that it may take 2 to 3 years for the small intestine to heal.  Makes sense to me.

Sounds like there are still some ups and downs,with us.  I enjoy reading every ones' posts, especially the reintroducing ones. Sending out good choice vibes! 

Thanks for letting us know about the colonoscopy and glad it went well. My grandfather had celiac and my cousin thinks she has it. I have never been tested but I will not be introducing it into my diet when I am done. I think that's the safest choice. Let us know what happens.

Well, I decided against continuing. I just felt too restricted and I was starting to overeat too frequently--I learned a lot about my eating habits and how I respond to various foods so I'm glad I did it and I might do another W30 in the future but for now I'm riding my own bike! :) 

Well, I decided against continuing. I just felt too restricted and I was starting to overeat too frequently--I learned a lot about my eating habits and how I respond to various foods so I'm glad I did it and I might do another W30 in the future but for now I'm riding my own bike! :)

Best of Luck. Enjoy riding your bike

Hi folks. My reintros have gone well so far but I haven't yet done all the reintro groups. I'm finding I don't necessarily want to eat from some of these groups. I will admit I haven't been following the W30 reintro protocol exactly. Last Monday I did dairy at all three meals and had no issues. I ate mostly W30 on Tuesday and Wednesday but also had some cheese at dinner on Wednesday night I think. Then on Thursday I ate W30 at breakfast and dinner but I had some sushi at lunch, after which I did not feel great, not horrible, but not great. It's hard to say what caused me to feel that way but I don't think it was the rice in the sushi. I'm blaming it on the sauce and/or tempura flakes that the sushi was coated in. I'm not even sure what tempura flakes are made of.

Friday was supposed to be my non gluten grain reintro day. For breakfast I had oatmeal, lunch I had sushi again, and I didn't have any grains at dinner. No issues that day. I even drank wine without any problems on Friday night.

I ate mostly W30 all this weekend but I did have a little peanut butter and yogurt today (not together though, I think that would taste weird :). The PB was my first time with legumes; again, no issues. I still haven't had gluten grains yet but I'll probably try them this week.

Hope everyone is doing well! I like that we are still keeping this thread going.

Well, I tried non gluten grains and non  processed sugar, in the form of a cinnamon roll.  I'm skeptical, I was looking for snack food. Chomped on some Macademia nuts. I think I need just whole30 for another 30 or the rest of my life.  I have trouble with breakfast and I thought that would help.  Lesson learned. Not ready yet.  

I think I need to post here before I get anymore hair-brained ideas!  LOL 

I REALLY REALLY want to do another whole 30. I just can't seem to find the motivation just yet. I know one is underway soon though. Maybe when I finish the box of yogurts I just bought from costco--yeah, that will be my start date! :)

Eat that yogurt!   

I did my January Whole30 well but have been screwing around ever since then.  To the effect of 8 lbs gained and a puffy face.  Need to buckle down and get back on the wagon.  I joined the March group but suddenly it is the middle of March and I can't say I've gotten to day 2 without a restart.!

Well I definitely need to restart because I fell off the fridge and into McDonalds Big Mac and french fries. And if that wasn't bad enough I spent the day with my best friend, a couple of her friends, pizza, and cocktails. And yes I knew this was stupid but the sugar dragon got the best of me. Not feeling great today as expected but starting to feel better. I may have some rice for my stomach later since I know I don't have a problem with it. 

I will either restart today, because at this point I am compliant, or start tomorrow. Anyone want to join me? I was just going to continue to post on this feed unless anyone things we should start a new one. Let me know what you all think?

Archived