First Whole30 starts tomorrow 2/1/14! Who's with me?

Karinne

Hello, hello! I started on February 1 and was so hoping that there would be a support group here.

Day 3, and I'm not doing great. I'm keeping to the plan and all that, but I feel like trash. Headache, fatigue, agitation, mild nausea...and hunger! As soon as a meal is finished, I have a moment of "oh, how nice, I'm full." Then, within fifteen minutes, I feel like I'm starving again. I hope this is part of retraining my body to process food more efficiently (sans added sugars).

My doctor recommended the Whole30 as a way to reset my metabolism, lose weight, and learn healthier eating habits. I rarely incorporated vegetables into my diet, except for potatoes (which are a starch), peas (which are legumes), and corn (which is actually a grain). This is a hard blow to my body, and I am strongly feeling the symptoms of withdrawal. I want nothing more than to go home and have a soda and a baked potato (loaded with butter and cheese).

How are you all feeling today? Better than this, I hope!

You are so brave to make such a huge change all at once!  I swear it will get better once you detox more and get farther from the addiction and inflammation cycle!  I worked my way to paleo over many years, not realizing it even had a name until after I'd eliminated most of the forbidden foods, but it was still hard to let go of the last bits of dairy. You are making a bigger change, and deserve a lot of support in that!  I promise that once the junk clears your system, you will feel better.  I wish whole30 had been around before my colon was removed for out of control colitis but discovering the paleo lifestyle several years back really helped with my other autoimmune and my nutritional deficiencies.  I've been doing a dairy, soy, and gluten free version of the SAD for a few tears now and realized finally that I am not nearly as healthy and have a much harder time avoiding cheats on a more 'normal' diet than on the more 'restrictive' paleo diet. And my kids are all loving compliant dinners so far, so may be they will all come to the bacon side eventually after all.

That said, I was so spacy today that I misspelled my own name several times on a medical form.  Doh!

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Everybody!

Just checking in from work. Looks like everybody is doing pretty well. I'm doing ok for the most part. Have had a major headache all 3 days, but expected that from the caffeine/sugar/art sweetner withdrawal.

I'm just really hungry! I'm following the 3 meals a day recommendation, but wondered if a moderator could weigh in....  I work 10 hour overnight shifts and have my kids during the day, so I get 3-4 hours of sleep a day at most.  Stretching 3 meals out of 20 hours is a bit much I think.  I don't want to wind up with a heap of calories, but think I need at least 4.... Any thoughts? (SN: I know the whole 3-4 hours of sleep thing is horrible, but I don't have any other options right now. I will be going to 1st shift middle of March, so hope is on the horizon at least. I've always been a terrible sleeper and don't sleep more that 4-5 hours regardless. Sooooooo hoping this W30 helps with that!)

Anyway, that's all I've got for now. I'm kind of enjoying trying out new recipes :)

Hey Everybody!

Just checking in from work. Looks like everybody is doing pretty well. I'm doing ok for the most part. Have had a major headache all 3 days, but expected that from the caffeine/sugar/art sweetner withdrawal.

I'm just really hungry! I'm following the 3 meals a day recommendation, but wondered if a moderator could weigh in....  I work 10 hour overnight shifts and have my kids during the day, so I get 3-4 hours of sleep a day at most.  Stretching 3 meals out of 20 hours is a bit much I think.  I don't want to wind up with a heap of calories, but think I need at least 4.... Any thoughts? (SN: I know the whole 3-4 hours of sleep thing is horrible, but I don't have any other options right now. I will be going to 1st shift middle of March, so hope is on the horizon at least. I've always been a terrible sleeper and don't sleep more that 4-5 hours regardless. Sooooooo hoping this W30 helps with that!)

Anyway, that's all I've got for now. I'm kind of enjoying trying out new recipes :)

If you are hungry you should eat. If you absolutely can not find more than 3-4 hours to sleep than you probably do need to eat 4 meals however as you already know addressing the sleep is going to be important. 3 meals a day is our recommendation for best results, but that also assumes a much more normal schedule than you are following right now. Don't worry so much about the calories right now. You need to fuel the body while it is awake.

Morning of day three..like this so far..miss cheese. Otherwise OK. Bad bad leg and foot cramps for hours last night..coincidence or part of the detox signs and symptoms Who knows?

This could be a sign that you need more magnesium. Dark leafy greens are a great source. A lot of people take natural calm to add magnesium (unflavored - all the rest have stevia). You can also try a hot epson salt bath before bed or a magnesium spray or lotion.

Check out THE PALEO APPROACH book, and thepaleomom website.  Great information for immune-mediated disease.

You can do your entire month out of the Well Fed cookbooks.  The recipes are delicious.  We live on the Chocolate Chili.  I just made her better butter (ghee) today.

Ate nomnompaleo crispy chicken for dinner.  I'm really bad about veggies but had some chocolate chili which I added carrots too.  Lunch was a shrimp salad.  Breakfast was off-plan, hence the re-start.  I also do the paleo version of the 21 day sugar detox (21dsd) if anyone care.

Wanting to try T25 exercise plan.

Hi All: I started my Whole 30 on 1/1/14 but I am going to continue for another month. I took a break from the program for a day because I ran a half marathon but I jumped back on the program Monday. I found the forums kept my inspiration and commitment high. It was a nice place to check in so I could easily turn my back on Venezuelan chocolate.

Best wishes for a healthy month,

EAH

drtracyb--T25 is an excellent program. I highly recommend it! 

Day 3 for me and all is well. Not a slip has crossed these lips. After today it's only 9 more times what I've already done until I've successfully completed the W30. That doesn't sound so bad to me since these 3 days have felt effortless :) I actually plan on doing 34 days...I have a doctor's appt on Friday and then again 4 weeks after that so I want to continue the w30 from appt to appt so that I can gauge whether it's having an impact on my weight. I expect to gain, as I'm pregnant, but not more than a pound in 4 weeks at this stage so I'm doubly motivated to stay on track since I like accuracy and I don't weigh myself at home (so I didn't weigh myself BEFORE starting despite owning a scale). 

I am feeling significantly better today, Day 4. Last night for dinner, we had baked chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) coated in oil and seasonings and roasted vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots) also with oil and seasonings. I actually felt full and didn't get hungry again that night. Before dinner, I had never had cauliflower at all or roasted broccoli, just steamed. So good! Oh my goodness, I had been missing out.

This morning, I had a few hard-boiled eggs and half a banana, and I feel good so far. I brought leftover veggies and chicken for lunch, and I intend to eat the other half of the banana as dessert, if I'm still hungry. So far, no headache or nausea! (The last couple of days, I felt a bit nauseated soon after every meal, and the headaches have been almost constant.)

How are you all doing on Day 4?

Day 3 is complete and starting day 4 for me. Boy what a carbo/sugar hangover. I feel worse today than I did yesterday because I am getting the aches. Thank god no migraine (yet.....). To top it off I started the program with an allergy cold so I have a double whammy.

:blink:

I am very proud of myself because I had to make food for one of my clients kids and I didn't cheat!!! I had to make bbq ribs, then warm up Chinese dumplings and noodles (bought from the best restaurant per the kid). Saucy fingers never looked so good, plus I made a ranch salad and I LOVE a good ranch.. I went to the sink and rinsed off my hands or wiped them off on a towel. I never realized how much licking your fingers is so automatic! BTW if anyone hasn't subscribed to the Whole30 Daily you really should. It has been a great help. :D

I am taking today off and going to my Dr today to help and make sure all my supplements are working properly and to make any changes that need to be done.

Good morning everyone. Day 4 for me.  We had nomnompaleo cracklin' chicken for dinner last night.  My kids just eat that up.  If you are a chicken-skin lover, it is delicious!  Steamed broccoli as the veggie.

Breakfast today will be chicken broth and bacon-asparagus soup.  I always have soup in the morning, followed by fried eggs and sweet potato hash.

M2 will be left over cracklin' chicken and broccoli.

You guys should check out the Jan 1 board that some of us are joining you from - we have a bunch of great favorite recipes listed.

Dinner - left over barbecued london broil with mushrooms and asparagus.

Green apple for snack.  I'm also doing a 21 day sugar detox.

I went off of coffee last month.  Tried it again but don't like how jittery I feel on it.

Good morning everyone! How is everyone doing? Today is day 4 for me and I'm feeling good.

Sounds like many of you have found some good W30 compliant recipes. Keep on sharing those recipes! It helps me to come up with meals for the week. Some of my favorite recipes I've made so far are the Asian meatballs, cauliflower fried rice, and chile lime chicken wings from Nom Nom Paleo. I'd like to try some recipes from the Well Fed cookbooks!

oGeorgiao - google bulletproof coffee. There are several websites with a recipe but basically it's black coffee blended with coconut oil and butter (or ghee, if you're doing W30). I really like it!

Hey peeps. Big hugs to all of you that are not feeling well. Such a hard thing to keep going when you feel like total crap. Don't think about this going on for 30 days, just say "I'll just get through this day without cracking." You know, the ol' AA thing. One day at a time. Sometimes I think about my friends who are sober now and active in AA and I'm so impressed that they can completely stop drinking. And I'm lamenting no cream in my coffee!!! Sometimes I think about them when I feel a little discouraged and it really does give me added incentive.

This post cracked me up. It's on the five stages of food grief. When you're feeling really crappy, read it.

http://whole30.com/2012/01/the-five-stages-of-food-grief/

I think I must be in the denial stage because I'm still walking around thinking "Well, this isn't so bad. I'm okay. I'm not too hungry. I can handle this." Can't wait to get to the anger where I can throw stuff across the room because I can't have sugar anymore!

Oops. I ate peas last night. Didn't mean to. But I was making curry and threw in a bunch of vegetables. Forgot to check the list. Somehow if it's green I don't think of it as a legume. So I'm not counting that as a "cheat" because it wasn't intentional. Also, I didn't eat that many. Massive rationalization? Whatever. Don't care. Not going to give myself a hard time about it. The great thing was discovering how easy it is to make curry. Dang! I used to order it at restaurants all the time thinking that some ethnic chef was in the back grounding secret spices and making roux for hours just to get that flavor. Duh. CURRY PASTE AND COCONUT MILK PEOPLE!!! I foresee much curry in my future.

Here's another weird and exciting piece of news: I actually like Kombucha. I've tried it a couple times in the past and always thought "Meh". But for some reason, right now it just hits the spot. A little bubbly satisfaction in just a few sips. I really, really like it. I might even figure out how to start making it. Kooky.

Okay. Must work. Must work. Zzzzzzzzz I'd rather nap. Was up from about 3am last night, off and on. Who knows why?!??!

Keep on keepin' on, people! Let's do this!

Doing much better today! The headache is almost all of the way gone. I realized after I posted about it yesterday that it was my sinuses. They are still somewhat stuffed, but doing better. Allergy symptoms are one of the reasons I'm doing this Whole30, so I'm hoping the headache yesterday was one last push, and it will clear up in the next few days!

Food planning and cooking takes a lot of time, but I enjoy cooking, so it feels good to make it a priority. Keeping the kitchen clean... not so fun, but it's part of the process! ;)

This morning I had two eggs fried in coconut oil, a side of spinach cooked in the same pan after the eggs, half a medium roasted sweet potato, and a dab of left-over guacamole. I ate a bit before 7am and was genuinely hungry (not craving- I would have eaten anything put in front of me, including plain steamed fish  :P ) by 10:45... I feel like what I had for breakfast should have been plenty of food. I used about a Tb of oil plus the guacamole (a couple of Tb), so I think that's enough fat... I'll keep trying different things!

Having lunch now- some "deconstructed" cabbage rolls I made in the slow cooker over night. A VERY simplified version of this: http://thehealthyfoodie.com/deconstructed-cabbage-rolls/ (didn't make the meatballs- just browned meat with onions and when done, I mixed in some cauliflower "rice"), threw half the cabbage (cut in fairly thick slices) on the bottom of the crock pot, meat on top, half a jar of home-canned tomatoes and half a jar of home-canned tomato sauce flavored with garlic, then the rest of the cabbage and the rest of the tomatoes/sauce on top. Cooked on low about 9 hours. Next time, I'll cook it a little less time, but it's making a very nice lunch with a small side of roasted butternut squash. 

I did bring a small snack today that I can eat in the afternoon. I'm still getting super hungry around 2:30-3:30, so I brought a couple of ounces of chicken breast left over from dinner last night with a few big olives and a carrot. Hopefully that will be enough to hold me over until I get home from work and make dinner. 

Nomnom crispy chicken is on the menu with green beans and a salad with an improvised whole30-friendly caesar dressing.  B)

I had been in such a boring food slump before starting this!  It's exciting to have an excuse to bring home interesting new or long missed produce!  I had a really bad liver and pancreas infection (related to primary sclerosing cholangitis) through the fall and early winter and I'm still jaundiced and dragging, but finding the energy and motivation to get into the kitchen again seems to be paying off already.  I was too nauseated and fatigued to care about food in December and January but now I'm starting to enjoy it again, plus having less nausea and pain after eating.  I wasn't up to solids this morning so I threw hemp protein, microgreens, water, coconut milk, and frozen peaches in the blender, which I know is borderline, but I followed the template with it (protein, 2-3 cups of vegetables, fat, and not too much fruit) and I felt enough better to get started on dinner prep (cutting up cukes, onions, and tomatoes for salad, then tossing with vinegar, olives, olive oil, and oregano, and starting the garlic, parsnips, and cauliflower for mashing later) so by the time we need to eat between after school activities, all I'll have to do is throw those and some salmon in the oven to get everyone fed.  I know the fatigue will hit me by five or six, so having everything prepped early is a huge necessity if I don't want to cave to convenience and compromise and let the kids pick whatever is nearby and cheap.

I want to make some pickles and mayo today too but may not manage.  They would be nice with canned tuna and precooked chicken though.

Thanks, everyone, for the variety of food/recipe ideas - crispy chicken from NomNom is DEFINITELY going on my plan for Saturday!!!  On a different note, I'm hoping someone can help with suggestions for my "side effects".  I am having TERRIBLE and frequent hot flashes since starting my W30.  They're waking me about once and hour at night with sweats bad enough to change my clothing at least twice.   Without enough sleep, I'm even crankier that I expected to be at this point.  The weird thing is I've been post menapausal for over 5 years and they were finally starting to do better. I am an ovarian cancer survivor, so I know there's no estrogen in my system to respond to any of this.  Can anyone help?

Hi Friends. I have to say that I feel like I crashed today. I had such good energy the first 3 days. I woke up today and could have stayed in bed all morning. Ive got zero energy. Luckily, this is to be expected and I have the time to just rest for a few hours.

I'm waiting until I am 7 days in to start running and working out again, as I recently ran a big race and needed some recovery time.  I can't see getting a whole lot done at the gyms anyhow at this point!

I guess Im just going to prepare for dinner. That always gives me a boost! I hope tomorrow is better.

By The Way- Welcome to all the new ladies who have joined. This is such a good way to stay motivated and vent to others who can relate to the feelings and symptoms that come along with the whole30. Most of the people in my day-to-day world think I am just plain crazy!!!! LOL

Marta- you are a trooper girl, and a real inspiration. Hopefully a moderator will chime in and give you some input.

Rachel321- I am so glad you're feeling better today :)

And too everyone else, keep on keeping on!!

Talk to ya'll later..I need a little nap..

Day 3 is going swimmingly. I had an apple with breakfast and lunch so no more fruit for me today. I was going to try to go without fruit altogether for the first week but ive yet to bake sweet potatoes and being a runner + pregnant means that carbs are somewhat necessary. Ill get to the sweet potatoes tomorrow though.

Day 2 for me but going pretty well so far.  Definitely fighting some sugar cravings though.  Yikes.  I was in a co-worker's office and he had a chocolate cake in there and the smell was intoxicating.  I had to leave!

I spent a lot of time again last night with prep and cooking so I hope I get more efficient with that.  And, Rach123, I hear you on the clean-up.  I feel like I'm using so many pans and dishes.  Again, hoping I get better with that over time.

Keeping on!

Day 2 for me but going pretty well so far. Definitely fighting some sugar cravings though. Yikes. I was in a co-worker's office and he had a chocolate cake in there and the smell was intoxicating. I had to leave!

I spent a lot of time again last night with prep and cooking so I hope I get more efficient with that. And, Rach123, I hear you on the clean-up. I feel like I'm using so many pans and dishes. Again, hoping I get better with that over time.

Keeping on!

Day 2 for me but going pretty well so far. Definitely fighting some sugar cravings though. Yikes. I was in a co-worker's office and he had a chocolate cake in there and the smell was intoxicating. I had to leave!

I spent a lot of time again last night with prep and cooking so I hope I get more efficient with that. And, Rach123, I hear you on the clean-up. I feel like I'm using so many pans and dishes. Again, hoping I get better with that over time.

Keeping on!

Great job!

Hello everyone,

Where can I find the recipe for the turkey and apple that people have mentioned eating for breakfast. I am on day two and feeling very hungry tonight with a headache. I did run today for the first time in a while...probably why I am hungry. I forget what are the rules for snacking at night...is it allowed, recommended?

Thanks

Archived