First Whole30 starts tomorrow 2/1/14! Who's with me?

Karinne

Great jobs everyone!!! I'm so happy I get to follow along with all of you.

For me, every day seems to be a little easier than the last. Though food-wise, today has been tricky. I'm working til 8pm, and have been at work since 7:30am. Which means I ate my breakfast (2 boiled eggs, small sweet potato, spinach, and a bit of pineapple) in the car ride to work (not ideal, I know). I packed lunch (romaine lettuce with shrimp, red onion, and lemon/olive oil/anchovy/garlic dressing and a side of butternut squash) and dinner for tonight (leftover deconstructed cabbage rolls). And I'm out of all of my pre-made foods for tomorrow, so I'm not sure what I'll do for breakfast/lunch)... I have some ground turkey in the freezer I'll need to cook up when I get home!

Next week, I'll be doing more prep on Sunday. Hopefully I'll still have more energy. Last Sunday was Day 3, and I was miserable...

I admire those working out while doing this! I do not work out on a regular basis and am in pretty poor shape. I'd like to start working out on a consistent schedule this weekend, but I'm not really sure where to start. Yoga, for sure.

Does anyone have other ideas that will get me going toward the path of working out that won't overly wear me out and stress my body to the point I want to give up? 

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I admire those working out while doing this! I do not work out on a regular basis and am in pretty poor shape. I'd like to start working out on a consistent schedule this weekend, but I'm not really sure where to start. Yoga, for sure.

Does anyone have other ideas that will get me going toward the path of working out that won't overly wear me out and stress my body to the point I want to give up? 

The best advice I have is to do something you like. Walking is ALWAYS a great choice--you can vary the speed in order to change the intensity. There are also PLENTY of free workout videos on youtube. You can select a 10 minute video each day and just gradually work up over a few weeks' time. 

Great jobs everyone!!! I'm so happy I get to follow along with all of you.

For me, every day seems to be a little easier than the last. Though food-wise, today has been tricky. I'm working til 8pm, and have been at work since 7:30am. Which means I ate my breakfast (2 boiled eggs, small sweet potato, spinach, and a bit of pineapple) in the car ride to work (not ideal, I know). I packed lunch (romaine lettuce with shrimp, red onion, and lemon/olive oil/anchovy/garlic dressing and a side of butternut squash) and dinner for tonight (leftover deconstructed cabbage rolls). And I'm out of all of my pre-made foods for tomorrow, so I'm not sure what I'll do for breakfast/lunch)... I have some ground turkey in the freezer I'll need to cook up when I get home!

2 eggs seems a bit light for protein in your first meal. Are you satisfied until lunch? Also, are you adding any fat to meal 1? Do you have any compliant canned tuna or chicken for maybe a chicken/tuna salad with veggies? You can add some olives or avocado for fat. 

went ~7.5 hours between breakfast and lunch today and I didn't die. It's actually almost dinner time and I'm barely eating lunch. YOWSA! I am HUNGRY but not starving if that makes sense. I'm getting to the starving point though. I had 1 date pre-workout and 1 hard-boiled egg post-workout because I had to get to a meeting and literally had 0 time between class, working out, and my meeting so I did what I could and I survived. Bonus points for me--there were GIGANTIC cookies at this meeting and I'm sure I could've inhaled 6 of them if I let myself but I wasn't really tempted aside from being somewhat hungry.

Wow - thanks again, physbeth!  You're wonderful!  Handn't found the part of the website that discusses this question yet, so I REALLY appreciate the link.  That gives me a different perspective than I started with.  I have 24 days to readjust my thinking and contemplate where to go from here as I see how things change while going through this.  I read the time line and figure I won't really be able to tell anything for at least another week, possibly longer.  I'm enjoying the food and appreciating everyone's thoughts as I make this journey with them/you, so the wait isn't difficult (other than being more tired and a wee bit pissy).  So here's to winding up day 6 and looking ahead to day 7!  Thanks!

I was feeling better yesterday and I am just not today. I broke my brain at work with too much work. I usually only do 6-8 hours but I did almost 13 yesterday and it was hard stuff. Then I didn't get enough sleep because by the time I got home and then had to get up it was only 6 but I also didn't sleep well. I am feeling it today. This of course makes that little voice wanting me to cheat a little more harder to ignore. I tried taking a 25 min nap and that made me worse so, I went ahead and ate early instead of waiting and that did help. Of course my employer started baking chocolate chip & caramel banana bread!!!! Yikes

Plus it is actually cold in CA. No more summer weather now it is finally winter and raining. If you want to call it that which is basically spits of rain. And yes I know many of you have it much colder and snow! Days like these I just want hot chocolate and junk food snuggled up in bed reading or catching up on TV. So, I am thinking of the correct kind of snacks I can have instead....but my food is so much more limited because of allergies and leaky gut. I guess I am just a little depressed today because I am so tired.  That is when I really want hot tamales and chocolate

2 eggs seems a bit light for protein in your first meal. Are you satisfied until lunch? Also, are you adding any fat to meal 1? Do you have any compliant canned tuna or chicken for maybe a chicken/tuna salad with veggies? You can add some olives or avocado for fat. 

Thanks so much for the suggestions!! It's really helpful! Yes, I was wondering if trying 3 eggs would be better. I had coconut milk in my coffee, but you're right that I didn't get enough fat in my meal 1 today, and generally, I could probably add more for that first meal most days. I'm generally hungry again by 10:45am, and my lunch break most days is around 11:00-11:15, but I am very, very hungry by the time I get to eat. It wouldn't hurt to add another egg. :)

And, yes, actually I do have a can of tuna! Thanks! I'll throw together a salad with it as I do still have lettuce and I loved the dressing I made for my salad today. I could totally eat it again for meal 1. :) 

Plus it is actually cold in CA. No more summer weather now it is finally winter and raining. If you want to call it that which is basically spits of rain. And yes I know many of you have it much colder and snow! Days like these I just want hot chocolate and junk food snuggled up in bed reading or catching up on TV. So, I am thinking of the correct kind of snacks I can have instead....but my food is so much more limited because of allergies and leaky gut. I guess I am just a little depressed today because I am so tired.  That is when I really want hot tamales and chocolate

How about some bone broth? That really warms me up when I feel chilled. :) 

Mint tea is also really nice. It will get better! Hang in there!

Thanks, Phsybeth - that actually does make sense to me.  I guess I wasn't really thinking much beyond the next month or two.  I can certainly see why so many people are doing this after the holidays - I'll probably find myself doing it again come January of next year!  :)

Having said that, is there any particular way to "know" that enough healing has taken place?  I've had internal pain and digestive problems after a major illness now for some time and I'm not sure that CAN go away ... I'm looking for an answer that may not be out there - if this doesn't resolve my issues after 30 days do I just maintain this method of eating forever?  If I see some improvement, does it make sense that another 30 days would continue the healing?  I know there are no exact answers, but I'm guessing someone out there has had this type ofissue and has some experience with something similar.  Any thoughts?

My daughter's gastrointestinal doctor told us it took three weeks for the allergens to completely leave our systems and then actual healing would be long-term and continuous.  I have found that to be true whenever we have slipped up.  One cheat after months of good behavior does not restart the process, but it is not worth it to me because it is never just one cheat. It becomes several cheats and then a daily habit and then I end up where I am now.  I love Mac and cheese but at the expense of aggravating a disease that I know can kill me?  Hell no. 

It really does take time to heal from a lifetime of inflammation.  Pay attention to the small improvements,though. They will come and will start to multiply soon.  If they don't, you may need to try the AIP.  It's hardest at first but gets easier.  I can only compare it to quitting smoking.  It is worth it and when you find an eliminate your trigger foods, it will get so much easier to maintain, knowing how much better you feel and that you've gotten clean once before.

Thanks, ALRJ.  It sounds like you're dealing with something similar (or at least comparable) to my issues.  Inflammation is at the root of it and I've been working on it for a long time.  I'll try to be patient until I get through at least 3 weeks of this.  I haven't been eating any wheat or sugar for quite a while, but I suspect dairy and legumes may be part of the problem.  I'm hoping to figure this out, and maybe I will have to do the W30 a little longer to ensure I'm "cleaned out" before I start adding anything back in.  You're right, my life is more important that that slice of cheese, and I'm tired of not feeling well.  I figure the W30 is just the next step in getting closer to optimal health.  I am willing to try other programs, too, but I'm not familiar with AIP - what is that?

Boy what a day. I am glad it is over and I am going to bed soon. I probably should not have started the day off with sweet potatoes in the morning. I think that may have set me off more that I should have been. I have been a grouchy pants all day!! I have successfully completed day 6. I have even made 1/2 of my food for tomorrow. I am hoping that I don't wake up at 4 am like I have been because of work. I can actually sleep til 5.

See you all tomorrow

Thanks Rach321. It has just been one of those days. Started the program with a cold and my period so it has been interesting. I am really proud of myself that I didn't cheat today. My friend whom I have been trying to do a 30 day clean eating challenge with for several months has just cheated, so I am glad I have the support her because that used to be enough to go off.

Day 7 done and dusted! This first week has been relatively easy for me but that may be because I am quite familiar with paleo so it's not a huge change for me. I've also kept to myself for much of the week so not influenced by others around me but in a couple of days I start a full-time job (same workplace, same job even, just double the hours!) and my 20 year old son returns to live with me again after three whole weeks out in the big wide world! And my friend with whom I regularly share a bottle of wine and some dark chocolate comes back from holiday. 

So roll on week 2. I'm ready!

(I think)

All's well here too!

Found the energy to cook food last night for lunch today, and I'm glad I did! Lunch today is delicious!

I had some cauliflower that I had riced earlier in the week and hadn't cooked yet, so I made Cauliflower Rice Pilaf from the Well Fed Cookbook (http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/03/30/cauliflower-rice-pilaf/) and browned ground turkey meat with onion. For lunch today, I put the turkey on the bottom of my dish and piled the pilaf on top. Today I heated them up together in the microwave. It's warm, satisfying, and comforting. If you're avoiding dried fruits, you could certainly leave them out. It's the combo of cinnamon and cumin that I think I like the best. 

What's everyone else having today? 

@Rach--I think I'm going to make a shrimp and vegetable curry over riced cauliflower. This will be my first time making the cauliflower though and I'm a bit nervous about how it will come out. I don't have a food processor with an attachment that makes it easy so I'm going to toss the florets in the blender and see if that works since my food processor is tiny. 

I'm going to make this... http://www.tiffanyleegaston.com/paleo-thai-coconut-curry-shrimp-on-cauliflower-rice/

But instead of adding cauliflower to the curry I'm going to add a blend of carrots, snap peas, broccoli, and water chestnuts (frozen blend). I'm also not using scallions (I don't have any) so I'll just do red onions. 

@Rach--I think I'm going to make a shrimp and vegetable curry over riced cauliflower. This will be my first time making the cauliflower though and I'm a bit nervous about how it will come out. I don't have a food processor with an attachment that makes it easy so I'm going to toss the florets in the blender and see if that works since my food processor is tiny. 

I used my blender and it worked well! Some pieces were a bit bigger than others, but after cooking, it's not really noticeable. To use the blender, I put cauliflower florets in the jar and covered them with cold water, pulsed it a few times on medium until it was the size I wanted, and then strained off the water and stored it in a ziploc. Worked great! 

The recipe you posted looks great!

Note to self: Buy cauliflower!

I realized a few days ago that I was going to need cauliflower! I roasted some florets a couple days ago, and it was delicious. I might try making cauliflower rice tonight.

I had a delicious lunch! Leftover meatloaf from last night's dinner and a salad.

I'm still getting headaches daily, though, and that concerns me. I'm eating and drinking enough, so I don't know what's going on.

I am doing ok...missing my weekend pleasure of wine but making do with some Perrier! I made paleo pad Thai tonight and it was delicious..filled me right up!

Was thinking today I should be super tired due to sick kids up all night this week but for the last two days I actually feel pretty good!

I do like this forum...makes me reflect and stay on track each day! Five days down, pretty happy about that!

Archived