First Whole30 starts tomorrow 2/1/14! Who's with me?

Karinne

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well today is Day 10 for me and the timeline definitely suits me to a T today! I still feel like quitting. I'm bored with it all and nothing is happening, so to speak, so I'm just not seeing the benefit in all this right now. I'm still not planning on quitting, but I feel like it...just wanted to put my thoughts out there.

I am doing so much better today than I have ever been. I have more energy, I don't feel sick anymore. I still have shoulder pain that goes down to by elbow and I am not sure what that is about. I may have just slept wrong.

I cooked like a mad woman today. In fact so much I wanted to take a nap afterwards. I made cauliflower and carrot puree, chicken veggie soup for my Mom, 2 different turkey veggie soups for me, Asian turkey lettuce cups, & sautéed swiss chard. The kitchen was such a mess I had to then clean the stove and the floor.

I still have more to prep but I ran out of time.

stupid question but does fish sauce taste fishy? 

It has a terrible odor but tastes a lot like soy sauce. We use it pretty frequently here, although to be fair, we cook with anchovies and anchovy paste too.  It is what gives Caesar salad and Worcestershire sauce their flavor, which totally non sequitur, but I have been looking for a w30 complaint Worcestershire recipe for days and getting really frustrated that I can't find one with anchovies!  Worcestershire sauce without anchovies sounds disgusting to me!  I may resort to marinating meat in anchovy paste and vinegar. 

I have been so sick of food the past few days that I can barely make myself eat, let alone three times a day. I think solid food three times in one day may be more than my gut can handle.  It does make it easier to avoid forbidden foods since I'm nauseous and having so many versions in the first place. I walked away from half finished plates all weekend, which is not the norm for me, and the thought of eggs, avocados, or coconut milk make me want to hurl.  Some skin infections that resisted antibiotics are starting to clear up though and my eyes seem maybe a bit less yellow and I'm spending fewer days and nights in the bathroom.  The baby's allergy shiners are improving also, so paleo clearly works for her. She polished off a whole leftover chicken thigh at lunch today.  I got some pistachios and larabars and freeze dried fruit today to try to get more calories in because I am battling the thigh gap.  I am a grown up Lady, not an anorexic teenager and that look does not work for me.  We had roasted broccoli, zucchini, and shallots today, with coconut creamed spinach, and baked lemon ginger salmon. Tomorrow is going to be homemade Texas chili and homemade sweet potato oven fries with slap ya mama, and if I can manage it, homemade mayo for dipping. My first batch failed, so I'm apprehensive, but I have homemade pickles pickling in the garage fridge, so I really want to figure out how to make mayo for tuna salad.

I dreamed about macaroni and cheese and marshmallows, of all things.  I nearly caved walking past the target bakery on the way to get a prescription.  I had no idea I had such a sweet tooth!

Made thai green curry with boneless skinless chicken thighs, lots of veggies, coconut milk, thai kitchen green curry paste, fish sauce, and cilantro to garnish. It's a one pot meal that covers the recommended meal template perfectly! Glad I made enough for leftovers!! :)

Melissa, I'm on day 11 and doing better today than yesterday. I tried to be more creative with what I ate which helped for sure!

Mad hatter- so glad to hear you're feeling better! I know it's been hard for you, and I'm happy to hear it's paying off!

Made thai green curry with boneless skinless chicken thighs, lots of veggies, coconut milk, thai kitchen green curry paste, fish sauce, and cilantro to garnish. It's a one pot meal that covers the recommended meal template perfectly! Glad I made enough for leftovers!! :)

Melissa, I'm on day 11 and doing better today than yesterday. I tried to be more creative with what I ate which helped for sure!

Mad hatter- so glad to hear you're feeling better! I know it's been hard for you, and I'm happy to hear it's paying off!

That's one of my favorites!  I overdid the green curry this past summer and the kids revolted, but I think it's time for another round!

Thanks Rach321.

I saw my Dr yesterday and he helped my shoulder. I am getting canker sores in my mouth and he says I am eating something my body doesn't like:(( so now no more citrus. I haven't been doing anymore oranges, grapefruit and things like that but I thought I would be fine with a squeeze of lemon in my guacamole or on my fish. Well I guess not. So gone are lemons and limes:(( If that doesn't fix it then I may need to get rid of olives or sweet potatoes. We will see.

I have a really busy week so off I go to get 2 days of food ready so I don't have to do that tomorrow.

Hi, all.  Haven't had a computer available for the last few days, so I wanted to let everyone know things are going well.  I'm feeling pretting strong and have more energy now, and my workouts are going better than ever.  I actually was able to do an ab exercise I haven't been able to do since I before I was ill a few years ago.  I'm getting stronger, and I think it's because I'm actually doing a bit better on the sleep front. 

Thanks to EJAmadhatter for the tips on upping the fish oil - my hot flashes have gotten better and I've gotten through a couple nights without having to get out of bed. 

Thanks also for all the great recipe ideas - I'm loving the food I get to eat as I'm learning how to cook it.  We're having beef curry tonight and I'm hoping to have time for that best chicken recipe this weekend.  Anyone have any ideas for a romantic St Valentine's dinner?

Hi, Runninglawyer - sounds delish!  Do you use a W30 type "loaded mashed potatoes"?  Or is that for the hubby only?  I'm trying to convince my husband to do this, and have been subtly moving in that direction.  I'll cover those issues another day, though.  In any case, I'd like to keep my meal W30 compliant but still be "fancy".  I think that's possible, I'm just not that good at this yet. 

Hadn't thought of any kind of shrimp with dinner, though - great idea!!!!!  I'm going to start exploring the surf and turf side.  Berries are a great option for dessert - I can always dress his up with non compliant items and still make progress with him!

Hey everyone! I'm still here! My dad was released from the hospital yesterday and we got to take him home. Yay! He was so glad to be sleeping in his own bed and not connected to wires that he didn't stop grinning all evening. Came home this morning. Doing some work from home then will have to go food shopping and prepping because I've been gone. Have to say that food the last few days hasn't been super exciting, but I kept to it. Yay for me!

Hope you all are doing alright. More later. Keep posting food ideas because I'm going to need 'em!

Day 10 for me. I'm not feeling awesome. I have over eaten two days in a row and my wedding ring is noticeably tight. I feel like a blimp :(

I've not been pregnant yet, but a lot of my friends have. I think this is normal. Most of my friends have had to take their rings off at this point in their pregnancy. Make sure you are well hydrated and stop worrying about over eating. Growing a human remember? ;)

Hi Friends!! I have been such a busy crazy person for the past 5 days. I have missed checking in and chatting with you ladies. There is so much good stuff being said in our forum.

I can't Believe we are on Day 11. Finally I feel semi-normal.. No more fatigue and I can feel the food I'm eating is now giving me energy.

I have been sleeping like a baby.

Today I am going to start working out again. It's hard for me to even fathom that I took off 11 days from the gym and running. It was a good amount of recovery time. I needed it.

Has anyone else just recently began to exercise? Any tips on pre or post workout snacks and meals. I've read a few other forums about workout food, but I feel like all I am seeing is EGGS! Spin class tonight at 6. Hope to have the energy to get me through the entire 60 minutes.

-Karinne  :rolleyes:

Marta--that's just for him, we eat completely different. I'm not even trying to get him to come to this side.

Phsyibeth--just being objective. I've been overeating and the wedding ring thing is completely new. My rings are ALWAYS loose and they were TIGHT this morning. Definitely the result of my food choices. It's okay...ill definitely be more mindful. I'm eating beyond fullness because I want things that I can't have.

Today's food has been just off. I ate at ~2am and that was meal 1 (grapefruit, 2 eggs, small handful of almonds) but because it was the middle of the night I wasnt going to cook and wake everyone, had meal 2 at 1pm (shrimp curry on cauliflower rice, teeny sweet potato with almonds, 1 hard boiled egg, 1 carrot, 9 black olives, and a grapefruit), worked out for an hour, egg after workout, meal 3 is at 9pm because I have class all night.

So Meal 2 was a bunch of picking after lunch because I was still hungry but didn't want to eat another full portion of lunch because it would've screwed up my other meals since I already portioned it out into tupperware. Also, there were 11 hours between "meal 1" and "meal 2" ...there will be 8 hours between meal 2 and meal 3. I find that I tend to overeat when i get too hungry because my fullness signals seem to take longer to kick in. 

Hello everyone,

I'm still here too...survived day 9 today and honestly feeling pretty good! I started to work out again, going to run a half marathon in June! Pretty excited! I was wondering about where I can find the chicken curry recipe...is that the same one from the nomnompaleo book? I would like to make it!

Thanks for all of your sharing, I check in often...it keeps me on track!

Hello everyone,

I'm still here too...survived day 9 today and honestly feeling pretty good! I started to work out again, going to run a half marathon in June! Pretty excited! I was wondering about where I can find the chicken curry recipe...is that the same one from the nomnompaleo book? I would like to make it!

Thanks for all of your sharing, I check in often...it keeps me on track!

For the curry I made, I followed the instructions on the jar of Thai Kitchen brand green curry paste. It calls for sugar- I left it out. And instead of shrimp, I used diced skinless boneless chicken thighs.

Today's food has been just off. I ate at ~2am and that was meal 1 (grapefruit, 2 eggs, small handful of almonds) but because it was the middle of the night I wasnt going to cook and wake everyone, had meal 2 at 1pm (shrimp curry on cauliflower rice, teeny sweet potato with almonds, 1 hard boiled egg, 1 carrot, 9 black olives, and a grapefruit), worked out for an hour, egg after workout, meal 3 is at 9pm because I have class all night.

So Meal 2 was a bunch of picking after lunch because I was still hungry but didn't want to eat another full portion of lunch because it would've screwed up my other meals since I already portioned it out into tupperware. Also, there were 11 hours between "meal 1" and "meal 2" ...there will be 8 hours between meal 2 and meal 3. I find that I tend to overeat when i get too hungry because my fullness signals seem to take longer to kick in. 

Wow!  That is a lot fewer calories than I eat when I am pregnant OR working out seriously,let alone both, and I tend to have problems keeping my weight up, not down.  Are you sure your fullness signals aren't not kicking in because you aren't full?  It sounds like you are asking your body to do quite a lot on very little fuel.  Ok, I'm sure you're getting too much unsolicited advice already, so I apologize and will try not to say any more.

I'm still having a lot of fatigue today and slept a lot but managed to eat two leftover chicken thighs, a banana, and a bowl of pumpkin soup for meal 1, some tangerines and pistachios for a snack, and two bowls of homemade Texas chili with sweet potato homefries, homemade mayo with lime juice, and cantaloupe for meal 2.  I'm debating whether to eat again.because I don't feel like it at all but feel like I'm supposed to.  The blender broke so I can't do my old standby for dealing with nausea and loss of appetite (kale/hemp/blueberry smoothies)but I think my weight has stabilized and I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow so hopefully I can get some feedback about what part my liver situation is playing in all of this.  The fatigue and food versions have been so bad that I took a home pregnancy test today (negative).  A nutritionist told me way back that my fruit and tea with honey cravings were a sign that I was having nutrient absorption problems and to try to puree as much of my diet as possible and go off solids for a few weeks when that happens.  It seems to help sometimes but I am really hoping not to have to do it this month.  I'd like to at least continue this as much as I can.  Not eating the forbidden foods is a lot easier for me than eating three template compliant meals, but I am having relatively few intestinal symptoms, so I'm going to try to trust the process.

On the bright side, my family is sitting down and enjoying meals more than they have since my most recent PSC flare up started and my husband is talking about trying to go paleo, after resisting for years.  I cleaned out a ton of gluten free stuff that wouldn't get used today and that made the cabinets so much less cluttered.  It's nice having fewer canisters to deal with!

Wow!  That is a lot fewer calories than I eat when I am pregnant OR working out seriously,let alone both, and I tend to have problems keeping my weight up, not down.  Are you sure your fullness signals aren't not kicking in because you aren't full?  It sounds like you are asking your body to do quite a lot on very little fuel.  Ok, I'm sure you're getting too much unsolicited advice already, so I apologize and will try not to say any more.

Seriously...say away! I am legitimately OVERLY stuffed once I stop eating. For example, after that lunch I wasn't actually STARVING for dinner and that was 8 hours later. I was hungry but I made it just fine. Yesterday was atypical in that I didn't eat "breakfast" because I wasn't hungry, I was tired because I didn't sleep all night, and I had class. 

I also think that your metabolism has got to be better than the average person--I am certainly not losing weight, not even close and I wasn't undereating before the whole 30 so it can't be explained in that way. I think if you SAW the way I eat you'd likely be quite appalled as I eat more than anyone I've ever seen including my husband (true story).

A normal day would look like this and this is 100% representative of most days: 

Meal 1: 

• 3-5 eggs fried in coconut oil
  • 1 chicken sausage fried in coconut oil
  • sautéed kale 
  • sweet potato (topped with coconut oil + almond butter or sliver almonds), apple, or grapefruit 

Meal 2: 

• sweet potato (same as above) 
  • LARGE serving of curry (3-4 cups) 
  • cauliflower rice (1/3 to 1/2 head cauliflower) 

Meal 3: 

• 2 pieces of salmon ( 1piece if I had an egg or two while making dinner) 
  • 1/2 roasted spaghetti squash sauteed in coconut oil with mushrooms 

Snack/Pre/Post Workout Meals (usually at least 2x a day):

• 2 hard boiled eggs
  • handful of olives or a few nuts or a small homemade larabar 
  • piece of fruit or sweet potato (same as above) 

Hey all. Still hangin' in there. My meals have been haphazard since my dad's hospitalization but still within the restrictions. I'm starting to think a lot about how to sustain my good eating after the month is over. I know that will be the true test for me.

At present:

energy level moderate

food interest moderate

clothes getting a bit loose

motivation leve moderate

Coasting I guess. But still committed. Right about now, instead of yelling "Let's DO this!" I'm more like "Yeah. We're doing it. Meh."

Mid month doldrums I guess.

Archived