First Whole30 starts tomorrow 2/1/14! Who's with me?

Karinne

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Verdana, I read your post with amazement. First because you could follow VLC for years without falling into bingeing. And secondly, that sucralose is so physically addictive. They never tell you that. I've been following a low carb site on Facebook, and toyed with trying it, but so much of it is about using Swerve and other sweeteners o make low carb goodies. That just seems wrong, I agree with w30 that we need to Quit the whole dessert thing.

But I am curious, were you doing low carb low fat? I just can't figure why your health was so affected.

Hi All,

I'm in, I'm in. I'm in!!!

I started Feb, 1st. Day two, now.  

Headache today, but I've had worse.  I'm living in the kitchen preparing all the yummy healthy food for the next week. I am trying the coconut milk with coffee.  Didn't know about the cream rising, thanks Karinne!

Susie, I too had a date with the couch for sleeping day one. This is going to be so great to get rid of that sugar demon.  We're slaying him day by day. We are not alone in this.

So great to have some friends to make this more fun and supportive.  A forum just like this is how I quit smoking 11 year ago.  

Good choices everyone, we can do this!

Okay, I went to the grocery store and conquered!!! Today is cooking-ahead day. I'm making bone broth, sauteeing up that turkey/apple breakfast thing, roasting a ton of veggies for later use. I borrowed It Starts with Food from the library, so will go to work tomorrow and copy all of Appendix A and keep it in the kitchen. This week will be experiments with the ground meat skillets. They look easy.

I will say it right here and then I'll shut up about it: I will miss cheese and 1/2 and 1/2. BUT I do think it will be interesting to see later how my body reacts to dairy when reintroduced.

the kids are kind of hovering nervously, trying not to act too concerned about life without sugar cereal.

This TOTALLY cracked me up.

This is my shot at healing my innards from colitis and some other autoimmune issues. I've had a headache, but no cramping, since I've started! Knock on wood.  

Good night all. We made it through another day of slaying that sugar dragon. 

Good things are happening. Successful shopping, cooking, and healthy eating.  We are doing this. I'm hoping day three doesn't involve a headache. 

Good choices, all

Verdana, I read your post with amazement. First because you could follow VLC for years without falling into bingeing. And secondly, that sucralose is so physically addictive. They never tell you that. I've been following a low carb site on Facebook, and toyed with trying it, but so much of it is about using Swerve and other sweeteners o make low carb goodies. That just seems wrong, I agree with w30 that we need to Quit the whole dessert thing.

But I am curious, were you doing low carb low fat? I just can't figure why your health was so affected.

Hi mscarla. I actually did not follow VLC for years without bingeing--in fact, I think VLC made what started as a perfectly normal binge/"refeed" after losing too much weight on regular low carb a reoccurring event. I swear part of the problem (or most of it, actually) was that I was not getting some key nutrients for an extended period of time. I did low carb/low fat for a while to quickly lose the weight I put on after my body forced me to binge after I forced it down to a weight it did not like. At the time, I was desperate to stay underweight. I liked the way I looked.

Overall, I can't really blame low carb too much. It was probably my fault for not constructing a LC plan that included enough variety and for never bothering to track my micronutrient intake. Sitting here on the morning of Day 3 of the whole 30, it actually sounds extremely appealing to go back to. I am extremely bloated and am holding a LOT of water weight (didn't weigh myself, I can FEEL it) and I am grumpy and overall feel like hell. I know that this is a common reaction in many people during the first week so I'll suck it up but god do I hate feeling so fat/soft/plumpy.

On the bright side, I am *really* enjoying getting to eat sweet potato! Unfortunately, fruit is going to have to go. I eat too much of it, it makes the bloating worse, and I noticed that I get itchy after eating strawberries.

Somebody tell me I am going to feel amazing after x# of days, please. I'm committed to doing this, but reassurance always helps.

Morning everyone! Day 3 for me today...so far so good. I had a headache yesterday but it seems to be gone today. And now today it feels like I'm coming down with a little cold. All normal symptoms, supposedly? I'm finding that I don't miss my old favorites too badly (alcohol, chocolate, carb-y snacks) unless I smell them. It was a bit difficult sitting next to my husband and kids yesterday as we watched the Super Bowl and they snacked on chips and beer (except, of course, the kids didn't have beer...ha!) while I had to sit and smell their food that I couldn't have.

Verdana, this is my first W30 so I can't promise that you, or I, will feel better in x days, but I do think you should give it more than three days before you throw in the towel. The first few days are supposedly the hardest, so once you can get past that things are (supposedly) going to get better. I've weighed myself every day since starting (yeah I know, not supposed to do that...I'm working on it) and the scale hasn't budged. But I'm not giving up yet. Hang in there!

Have a great day 3 everyone!

Hi, everyone,

My husband and I are starting the Whole30 today.  I know we didn't start February 1, but hoping to join in here anyway.  This is the first time for us trying this and I'm worried about being able to stick with it.  I hope being part of a group will help. 

We spent the weekend buying the right kinds of foods and doing some prep work for this week.  I know I am going to have to make it as easy for myself to be compliant as possible to try and avoid making bad choices.  I made up some olive oil mayo, avocado dressing and cooked up a frittata and made a salad to bring with me to work today.  Starting the morning out with the turkey and apple skillet.  It was a little bland, but I assume some of that is my tastebuds needing to adapt to the absence of all those additives that increase the flavor. 

I definitely want to lose weight (20 lbs eventually), but mostly hoping this marks a start to healthier eating.  We didn't clean out the house of all the forbidden foods as we've got three kids and I don't want to deal with making them adapt right now.  I hope our willpower is strong enough to survive the temptations in the pantry.

Coffee this morning was the hardest thing.  I've always had a little coffee with my sugar and cream, so drinking it black was not the reward that my morning coffee usually is.  I'm sure I'll adapt though.  Little bit of a headache this morning which is I suspect from not getting that sugar rush first thing.  Glad to join you all.

Day 2 today..yesterday was perfect. Here's what I had:

B: 3 eggs, chicken sausage, mushrooms/spinach...all sautéed in coconut oil

L: chicken aloo gobi with sautéed kale

D: chicken fajita stew with green beans

Second D: small bowl of chicken fajita stew, 2 hardboiled eggs, and 1 date 

Today's breakfast: 

B: 4 eggs, chicken sausage, mushrooms...all sautéed in coconut oil

L: chicken fajita stew with green beans

D: not sure yet....maybe I'll make shredded chicken and put it over a bed of organic greens with salsa on top

ZellyB -- I'm with you. Had black coffee this morning around 10:30 and thought to myself "What is the point of THIS??!?!" I'm a sugar and cream girl m'self. Could even do without sweetener. But no cream? Zads. Okay, for a month I can do it. But can't wait until I can have it again. Just think how good that cup of coffee with half and half will taste. Even if I reintroduce no other dairy, that will be a MUST.

Welcome to all the newbies joining in! The more the merrier!

Verdana -- You can do this. You can. I'm the most undisciplined person in the world. If I can do it, you can do it. I'm also willing to come over there and kick your butt. (Wherever your butt is... don't know exactly!)

oGeorgiao -- Thanks for great encouragement. You say nice things to Verdana and I will threaten to kick her butt. How's that?

Pleasant surprises for today:

1. I feel loads better than I did the first day.

2. I made the turkey and apple thing for breakfast and REALLY liked it. Who knew such a weird thing would be so good in the morning?

3. My boss offered to get us all breakfast burritoes (for those of you not in the southwest, it's a wonderful concoction of scrambled eggs, cheese, potatoes, green or red chile and bacon, rolled in a tortilla). I politely said "No thanks". And I wasn't even sad about it. That's just weird. I love breakfast burritoes. I mean, a lot. I don't know if it was because of the turkey/apple hash or that it's still early in the process. Whatever. I'm happy!

Kudos to you all for making it to day 3. My battle cry for the month: Let's do this!!!

Hello, hello! I started on February 1 and was so hoping that there would be a support group here.

Day 3, and I'm not doing great. I'm keeping to the plan and all that, but I feel like trash. Headache, fatigue, agitation, mild nausea...and hunger! As soon as a meal is finished, I have a moment of "oh, how nice, I'm full." Then, within fifteen minutes, I feel like I'm starving again. I hope this is part of retraining my body to process food more efficiently (sans added sugars).

My doctor recommended the Whole30 as a way to reset my metabolism, lose weight, and learn healthier eating habits. I rarely incorporated vegetables into my diet, except for potatoes (which are a starch), peas (which are legumes), and corn (which is actually a grain). This is a hard blow to my body, and I am strongly feeling the symptoms of withdrawal. I want nothing more than to go home and have a soda and a baked potato (loaded with butter and cheese).

How are you all feeling today? Better than this, I hope!

For those who have not seen the timeline...it might help.

If you are hungry please eat. Hungry means you could eat something bland (boiled fish and broccoli). Knowing the difference between hunger and cravings is important.

For those who might want feedback on what they are eating to see if there are things they could adjust to maybe feel better you can post your logs either here, your own log in the Your Whole 30 Log section of the forum, or in the Troubleshooting Your Whole 30 section of the forum and the moderators/other members will try to help you out.

I made pizza spaghetti Pie this evening and let me tell you, it was amazing!!!!

I used 2 small organic spag squash. Cut in half and oven roasted for 20 minutes. Remove threads of squash and place in a greased baking dish.

Dice 1 onion and sautee' in pan.

Then I used 1.5 lbs of all natural chicken sausage. (you could make your own, I was too lazy) Cook the sausage in with the onions.

I used 1 cup of Mario Batali's Arrabiata Tomato Sauce (again, in a hurry - it was organic, and free of any added sugar) - then I ADDED 3/4 can of fire roasted Muir Glen diced tomatoes, a handful of FRESH chopped basil, a tblsp of dried oregano (crushed), a tblsp of crushed garlic. Add everything to the pan with onion and sausage.

Pour entire mixture in the greased baking dish with the squash.

Next I  added 3 natural organic eggs whisked into the dish and mix it around so that you don't see egg anymore.

I cooked for an hour on 350f then bumped up to 400 for additional 5-6 mins. 

I'm telling you, this was freakin' delicious. Make it. Now.  :D

Hi - I'll jump in here.  This will be my third whole30, but my intention is to make this a lifestyle, as I have fibromyalgia and the Paleo diet helps keep my aches at bay.  My first whole30 was in September and I lost about 20 lbs and a bunch of aches.  My kids and I just finished the January 1 whole30 and we did great.  My kids have adhd and are on ritalin.  Their behavior is partially controlled on meds but is much, much improved on a paleo lifestyle.  I do feed them paleo treats so they are not really whole30 compliant, but the paleo treats are enough to keep them happy in a paleo world.

As for me, I was whole30 compliant for January.  I off-roaded this weekend but have no self-control, so Whole30 is my life.  Thanks for letting me join your Feb group.

Tracy

esuzabeth - I'm on it. I'll encourage until the cows come home, You kick butts. We'll get this going. 

Karinne - I'm coming to eat at your house, That pizza spaghetti sounds great! Thanks for sharing. It sounds like a weekend meal for me. 

drtracyb - so glad that this works for your fibro! Yeah! I'm hoping it will help mine also. Glad you're back on track! So glad you have some experience you can help keep us all on track  :D

hippiefemme - You can do this. It will be so worth it! Healthy trumps the sugar demon any day! I keep saying to myself, "Sugar is poison!" This is probably way too dramatic, but it's working for me.  I'm really believing it now. Poke around on this site for inspiration. Hang in there. 

Rach321 - The first days are the worst they say. You've got a good start. I'm figuring out how much I need to eat, too.  After two trips to the store to get more veggies, I think I'm figuring it out.  . 

Mscarla What's bullet proof coffee? Trying to find it in the book, but it's difficult on my kindle. 

Verdana - keep thinking about those sweet potatoes! Watch out for esuzabeth, she's got some very persuasive ways.

runninglawyer88 Hope those yummy recipes that you shared are in the book! 

Teenie weenie headache today, but I swear my pants are looser already. I had just had a CT scan, last week, and my intestines were all swollen and I was in a lot of pain. (too much info, sorry) I was told to follow a colitis diet and sent home.  I had no idea what a colitis diet was. That's how I stumbled on this site. I downloaded the book onto my Kindle. I am so glad I decided to take this on, it's the best thing I can do for myself.  

I can't wait for my It All starts With Food book and 2 Well Fed cookbooks to arrive on Wed. Then watch out, I'll be fully armed and ready to go. 

We made day 3, team!!! We can do this. Day 6 and 7 we can all compare our naps  :rolleyes:

Morning of day three..like this so far..miss cheese. Otherwise OK. Bad bad leg and foot cramps for hours last night..coincidence or part of the detox signs and symptoms Who knows?

I've had bad hand and foot cramps too but I am going to blame aging and the weather!  I can't see the 'ch' word right now. It is too emotionally painful!

Archived