First Whole30 starts tomorrow 2/1/14! Who's with me?

Karinne

Today was a tough day for me. I was really not feeling well, some body aches, fatigue, dizziness, and sugar cravings. I was a little emotional as well. I wanted to take the whole day off to just chill but of course that wasn't possible. I had to help my Mom at the Drs, her health isn't well, and then my employer wouldn't leave me alone on my day off. Being a personal assistant sometimes means you don't have a day off.

I did see my Dr and all my vitamins are working and he helped me feel better. He is really happy that I have found a place for support on this journey. It has been a long time coming and god knows I have peed away a fortune in supplements by not complying with my diet restrictions. I had gotten to the point in the last few months of feeling hopeless and that I would never be able to get through it. I am so glad that I found this site and that we are doing this together. I am still not completely convinced that I can make it but there is light at the end of the tunnel because reading what everyone is saying is helpful and makes me more determined to succeed. The maximum number of days I have lasted is 10! I am 1/2 way there.

Today I started off with lamb kofta and paleo cucumber mint raita.

Lamb with coconut & 1/2 apple 

Fish with sautéed spinach, olives, and coconut

Steak with green beans and 1/2 homemade sweet potato chips

I am hoping that I feel better tomorrow but if not I will carry on.

YAY I have completed DAY 4!!!

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teachertracy-if you subscribed to the daily emails it was in the Day 1 email. It might also be in the book but I'm not all the way through the book so not sure. I haven't made it yet but I think all it is is ground turkey or pork, diced apple, and a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg.

For tonight's dinner I just had something simple-ground pork cooked with cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Sliced up some fresh jalapeños and threw that over the pork. Wrapped it in a kale leaf and added some homemade guacamole! So yummy! I was really hungry by the time I was done cooking dinner that this just tasted so good.

I'm finishing up day 5. Best one so far! I felt tired, but not overly so. I made it through the day of work without shutting my office door to take a

nap like I did yesterday. Headache/sinus pain is also getting better.

We can do this!!

Thanks to everyone who tossed some support my way, especially the person who threatened to kick my butt. lol.

I'm on day 5. Things have been just ok. Very tired, somewhat cranky, and constantly in the mood to snack. The food has been tasting pretty good, but I am thinking I need to find a different way to prepare spinach + kale because I am getting sick of using them for salads only.

I have been too busy to get a decent night's sleep for the last few days. I finally had the opportunity for 8 hours last night but I kept waking up from disorienting dreams in a sweat. I'm going to assume it's just part of the process. Reading the Timeline someone linked to was reassuring.

Good luck to everyone today--we can do this!

Wow. Sounds like everyone is struggling right now. Kudos to us all for keepin' on. I came home yesterday about two and crashed out for about three hours. Thought for sure I'd be up all night but then while reading fell asleep at 9:30. I do love sleep, but this is a little bit of overkill even for me! Still eating fine. Wonder when I'll have my first big challenge and how I'll do with it. I have a group of friends that gets together every Thurs night for knitting, crocheting, etc (everyone does all different kinds of hand work). We move around from house to house. I'm hosting the next couple weeks because that way I can make food that I can eat. And everyone else will just have to eat it too. Bwahahahahaaaaa!

My husband and I were watching a movie last night and I was eating some Asian meatballs (recipe from nomnompaleo.com) and salad. He was eating potato chips and dip. I laughed and said that was perfectly fine -- wasn't even tempted -- but that he'd better keep any desert items outside in the garage and not eat them near me!

Have a good day everyone. Let's do this!!!! (sound of head dropping on kitchen table and snoring....)

ps The forum seems to pick up whatever photo I have on Facebook, so let me explain that this pic is not a killer rabbit attacking me! I keep angora rabbits and this one was inside for the day after having gotten a shearing. Too cold for her outside! She spent two weeks in the house with us and got to watch movies and snuggle on the couch at night. But she's much happier outside, with her friends and this week in the snow!!!

I'm not struggling...yet! :) I'm sorry many of you are having a hard time. Hopefully all is better in the next few days! Just stay the course and try to be present during meal times so as to prevent eating out of boredom, sadness, anger, frustration, anxiety, or any of the sort! 

Glad to hear it runninglawyer!! What day are you on? 

I'm on day 6 now, yesterday and today have  been much better than the first days! I was even able to put regular milk in my guy's coffee this morning (coconut milk in mine) without being grumpy about it (I had refused to do so until now due to the temptation...) and I made him an egg sandwich for breakfast without being the slightest bit envious. I got to have half a sweet potato with my eggs instead. :D

Today is day 4 since the restart..and to think it would've been 18 without my slip up :( oh well. I'm not truly counting the days in any "I can't wait for this to be over" sense. I guess it's just the accomplishment aspect that I'm looking forward to most--along with the health benefits of course.

Day 5-- Just woke up from a nap... Nauseas and sore the first couple days, moody and emotional, gassy (lovely, I know), and now exhausted. I'm not really enjoying food right now, kind of just forcing it down. Partly due to the nausea I was having, but that's gone now and I'm still not satisfied by anything. No cravings yet, but of course I miss my old favorites (potatoes, cheese, beer, bread, pasta). Feeling blah overall and looking forward to Tiger Blood! I haven't even been working out or doing much other than laying around and I'm a normally an active person. Hopefully the coming days will be better!

This was my best day, so far. Physically and mentally. Admiring all the fine choices everyone is making here. 

I made a quick supper tonight.  I browned hamburger (we buy our own meat from farmers) and threw in a can of  sauerkraut. I never used to add salt to anything and now I'm really enjoying it.  

For lunch, I made egg salad (olive oil mayo) and tuna salad to put in a few big leaves of romaine lettuce. Yummy! I also had roasted rutabaga and sweet potatoes. 

For breakfast, I popped a frozen egg/sausage/celery/onion muffin(Made them this weekend) into the microwave and a had a ring of pineapple. Mmmmmm Oh and coffee with coconut cream, 

I'm not hungry and feel fully satisfied. Oh, I also had a banana.  :P   

I enjoy reading what everyone is eating.  

Just wait until this group gets to the tiger blood stage!   :ph34r:

Good Luck everyone- I am officially starting next Monday. This week I am trying out recipes so that I know what I'm going to eat ahead of time.

I haven't had any bread, sugar, or dairy in 3 days but I had the gum and the mints.

I'll kick off next Monday.

Good Luck everyone!

My eats today...

Pre workout: 2 hard boiled eggs and 1/2 a date

Breakfast: 3 fried eggs, 1 chicken sausage sautéed with mushrooms in coconut oil, and roasted green beans

Lunch: 1 salmon fillet, small sweet potato topped with coconut oil and a FEW slivered almonds (ran out of almond butter), homemade broccoli soup

Dinner: shredded chicken over greens with salsa, roasted green beans, and small sweet potato topped with coconut oil and slivered almonds. Small apple.

Today has been rough because I was nauseated for most of it, but my family is sticking years the template like champs!

I couldn't get breakfast down but had beef broth and plain coconut water and managed to get dinner started and good to go by lunch time. It was Italian meatballs (ground beef and pork, onions,  garlic, fresh parsley, oregano, and egg) with homemade sauce (tomatoes, basil, onions, garlic, shredded carrots, diced baby bellas, and baby  bok choi cut into bite sized pieces) and wasn't feeling as bad, so I had a bowl of that and some ginger tea and then was REALLY nauseated for the rest of the day.  I couldn't eat dinner for the second night in a row, and just had a banana a minute ago to try to keep from spending the night in the bathroom.  My husband had no appetite either, even though we had Brussels sprouts for a side, so I am wondering if I have a virus or if he has second-hand paleo flu  or what. The kids liked the meatballs a lot though.  I don't know what to do if I keep not being able to eat meals.  I've already lost more weight than I wanted to.  I'm a few pounds from thigh gap territory. Yuck.

Hi everyone.

I started February 1st like most of you and day 6 is nearly over (I'm in New Zealand so the time zone gives me a head start on just about everyone else in the world!). 

I was prepared for a tough few days but apart from my stomach being a bit bloated, gassy and gurgly (yes it's a word) yesterday I have had no problems at all (touch wood!). And I think I prefer that to being 'clogged up' when on carbs if you get my drift...  

I already feel lighter and would love to step on the scales, but determined not to until day 31. Maybe my challenging times are to come later in the program? We'll see. I'm determined to do this right to the end. Whether the end is day 30 or day 100 remains to be seen.

Roll on day 7!

I have always

End of Day 5. It has finally hit me--today was very difficult. I'm extra moody. I feel shitty. I wanted to drive to starbucks so damn bad. I imagined myself double fisting a couple of venti breve lattes with sugar-free syrup added. And now I am craving a vodka and diet coke.

I am honestly not sure what got me through the cravings today; I'm in grad school and the semester is beginning to become very stressful. I've never had a strong resolve and I definitely have "will power"/control issues with food (eating disordered). I think it's trying to really give my body a chance to succeed without artificial crap--I think that's what kept me going. I haven't been able to do it, ever since I quit sugar I've HAD to have a replacement for sweetness. I'm a sweets person and not eating sweet tasting things was unbearable. Every time I tried to replace the artificial sweeteners with "better" real forms of sugar, I'd break out like a mothereffer and gain weight. So I'd always retreat and begin using the fake stuff again.

The thing is, I know all artificial sweeteners make me eat more. They make me feel hungrier and I seriously wonder if sucralose's ability to alter the composition of gut bacteria might be the sole cause of the chronic constipation problem I've had ever since I quit sugar/went low carb.

But then, real sugars SUCK for my skin and weight. Even fruit does this to me :-(

So, obviously the best choice is not to consume either. That is not an option, imo. There's this little thing called "quality of life" that I'm  a strong advocate for, and for me that means eating sweet-tasting things at least once daily (when not doing the Whole30). I'm just biding my time, waiting to see just how well I do or do not do without artificial sweeteners. Because honestly, the impact of real sugar on my body *feels* worse and is certainly more immediate.

I hate not having a perfect answer.

Oh, and I feel fat today. Not bloated, just fucking flabby. Ick.

I did a cookup today.  I had made Well Fed's Better Butter (Ghee).  I chopped butternut squash, mixed it with better ghee and roasted it.  Also made a kabocha squash for the first time, too, using nomnompaleo's recipe, which was basically better ghee, salt and pepper.  Also made asparagus broccoli bacon soup.  I freeze that in muffin tins and have soup for breakfast with added chicken stock/bone broth.  I also had a ton of shredded chicken from all my broth making, so I turned that into chicken cacciatore.  Finally, I made nomnompaleo's kahlua pig which is basically pork shoulder with garlic cloves, salted, and placed on top of bacon in a slow cooker.  That is cooking as we speak.  I also bought a bunch of grass fed beef chuck that was on sale at my local grocery store - I figured if I buy them out, they will continue to stock the grass fed stuff.  I'll make mexican shredded beef in the crock pot tomorrow.  Tomorrow I will also make yet another double batch of chocolate chili, that I will freeze in muffin tins to make individual servings.

I'm giving up on ever exercising.  My dad with dementia fell and broke his hip.  The hospital fixed it and transfered him to rehab two days after his surgery!  He promptly fell at rehab and broke the other hip.  Poor guy, that's all he needed.  Life for him is not fun anymore.  I spent the day dealing with hospitals and medi-cal applications.

Archived